Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

I re subscribed to watch Hamilton, after leaving the service a couple of months ago having quickly run out of things I wanted to watch, but struggle to see any reason to carry on with the subscription. They really need to up their game when it comes to adding content.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 weeks later...

From the Disney investors conference call:

Edit: Not yet clear if that $30 price is for purchase or for rental.

And their subscription numbers are doing pretty well...

It's just Disney testing to water isn't it. They're looking to see how well it does to see if it's a viable option in the future. They're potentially risking losing money on this just to see.

I hope the throw in a bottle of wine with every purchase. That would just about make it the same price as a family visit to the cinema for me. 

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

Seems too high for me other home releases have been priced around £14.99

I did think that, but then they seem a bit vague about whether this would just be a rental or yours to own for that price. Either seems a bit much when it will presumably end up as part of the regular Disney Plus library eventually anyway.

5 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I did think that, but then they seem a bit vague about whether this would just be a rental or yours to own for that price. Either seems a bit much when it will presumably end up as part of the regular Disney Plus library eventually anyway.

It is a rental, will most likely be in the Disney+ Library by Christmas.

Ok sorry correct that, more info below

The fledgling VOD platform, which costs £4.99 a month, will ask subscribers to pay an additional price of $29.99 for the film within the platform – not as a rental, but essentially as a way to get early access to the movie, which would eventually arrive on Disney+ for general subscribers at a later date. Until other premium 48-hour rentals, this access would not expire, but would last for as long as users have a Disney+ subscription.

https://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/disney-to-release-mulan-as-premium-paid-title/

I see. That puts it in a really weird space in that case. It's good that you get it for more than 48 hours, but at the same time most people probably aren't going to want to watch it multiple times, or would at least be happy to wait for the regular Disney+ launch. I think I'd rather pay £15 for a regular early access rental.

5 hours ago, Mogster said:

I see. That puts it in a really weird space in that case. It's good that you get it for more than 48 hours, but at the same time most people probably aren't going to want to watch it multiple times, or would at least be happy to wait for the regular Disney+ launch.

Unless you've got kids who are obsessed with it, in which case it'll be on every day for months.

• Upvote 1

Or you just really like the movie and want to watch it multiple times. See: me after Avengers Endgame. I'd have happily paid £30 the day it was out in the cinemas to have it available to stream in 4k whenever I wanted and for however many times I wanted.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Now that Mulan is going straight to streaming, wonder how long Disney can hold out before doing the same with Black Widow?

Doubt we’ll see that many cinema goers in November when it’s supposed to release, but it would clean up as a Christmas movie at home. 

44 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

Now that Mulan is going straight to streaming, wonder how long Disney can hold out before doing the same with Black Widow?

Doubt we’ll see that many cinema goers in November when it’s supposed to release, but it would clean up as a Christmas movie at home.

All depends on the what happens with Mulan if it does well for them then yes expect the same thing with Black Widow.

Also depends how long cinemas are either totally closed or people aren’t flocking to them.

I’d take a guess at a theatrical release but then a home release at a very shortened time-frame. That seems to be the way the industry’s going anyway.

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

All depends on the what happens with Mulan if it does well for them then yes expect the same thing with Black Widow.

I'm still not convinced going straight to VOD will make more money in the long run than a traditional cinema release. Can you see a film doing Avengers numbers through VOD? With cinema releases you get the revenue from the cinema run, then the digital/VOD release, then the retail release and then the Sky Movies etc. release. Will the VOD tier really accommodate all the revenue that was previously gained through the cinema run? 

Granted I don't have kids but I like to go to the cinema.  It is, usually, a better experience and also a nice evening out. At home I tend to get distracted, too much to do, too many options of what to watch, whereas at the cinema it is nice just to focus on the film. 

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I'm still not convinced going straight to VOD will make more money in the long run than a traditional cinema release. Can you see a film doing Avengers numbers through VOD? With cinema releases you get the revenue from the cinema run, then the digital/VOD release, then the retail release and then the Sky Movies etc. release. Will the VOD tier really accommodate all the revenue that was previously gained through the cinema run? 

Granted I don't have kids but I like to go to the cinema.  It is, usually, a better experience and also a nice evening out. At home I tend to get distracted, too much to do, too many options of what to watch, whereas at the cinema it is nice just to focus on the film. 

Cinema will still become the norm but for the next 12 months I do not expect the audience to flock back to cinemas so they need another solution & Premium VOD is the answer for now if Mulan does well.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, SeanR said:

who thought that disney would add the equivalent of FastPass to their VOD platform?

Would most people on here know what Fastpass is? I'm not so sure. We're masters at it- refresh, refresh, refresh, grab placeholder, refresh. Repeat.

22 minutes ago, drmick said:

Would most people on here know what Fastpass is? I'm not so sure. We're masters at it- refresh, refresh, refresh, grab placeholder, refresh. Repeat.

B56F83D1-BCA9-4CDB-BDF4-682CD2AFE013.thumb.png.3770220e981f2c22f9af77527974f1bc.png

sure. We have it at UK theme parks too.

10 hours ago, Down by Law said:

$30 seems really high to me - yeah I get it if you are comparing prices to a family of four, but for everyone else that seems very excessive.

It’s double what I’d pay. Anyone who signs up for this is setting the trend for us all being fucked over down the line. 
The cinema analogy doesn’t work at all. That’s a family night out - change of scene, bit of excitement,  this is a night in that kid’s will just treat as any other. 15 quid, maybe, anymore, no way. 

• Upvote 4