Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we got it!

Probably best for a Marvel topic but can’t find a general one...

Are most MCU films suitable for a 7 year old? Obviously every kid is different, but my son noped out of Iron Man pretty early on (the bit where he wakes up in the terrorise cave, all bloody, with his electromagnet in his chest exposed). It’s also quite sexist and adult in tone. I’m wondering if that’s just an outlier, being the first MCU film, and the rest are more kid-friendly? For example, I’d really like to watch The First Avenger with him but concerned the antics of Red Skull might be a bit much. 

For reference, we’ve watched all the Star Wars films together and he’s been fine with those. 

12 minutes ago, Pob said:

Are most MCU films suitable for a 7 year old? Obviously every kid is different, but my son noped out of Iron Man pretty early on (the bit where he wakes up in the terrorise cave, all bloody, with his electromagnet in his chest exposed). It’s also quite sexist and adult in tone. I’m wondering if that’s just an outlier, being the first MCU film, and the rest are more kid-friendly? For example, I’d really like to watch The First Avenger with him but concerned the antics of Red Skull might be a bit much. 

For reference, we’ve watched all the Star Wars films together and he’s been fine with those. 

I'd say you'll be fine - some of the films are dark in tone (the opening to Guardians of the Galaxy for example) but overall they're not too bad. 

They're not too dissimilar to Star Wars in that sense - I'm watching them with my 9 year old daughter, and she's sometimes quite sensitive with films. She loves them (though we've only just watched The Avengers so we've not watched many).

Iron Man probably is the worst in terms of depicting “real world” death and violence as opposed to the more “fantasy” stuff in most of the rest, but don’t know where I’d put the age ratings for others.

1 hour ago, John Edward Gammell said:

They're all rated 12 and rightfully so.

Raiders of The Lost Ark type should be your reference regarding The First Avenger, there's one particular death that's probably the most brutal in the entire MCU.

Could you remind me? I remember the opening being pretty dark and some intense stuff between Red Skull and Zola later on but nothing too bad. 

8 hours ago, Pob said:

Ah okay. Disney probably cut it out for Plus anyway :)

I don't believe so - watched them all recently, and pretty much remember myself going 'Ooh, nasty' during The First Avenger around then.

Also, on the subject of gore and editing, specifically in Avengers...

Spoiler

The tip of Loki's sceptre is present on Disney+ where it was removed on Blu-ray, in the UK at least.

3 hours ago, LongHairStu said:

I don't believe so - watched them all recently, and pretty much remember myself going 'Ooh, nasty' during The First Avenger around then.

Also, on the subject of gore and editing, specifically in Avengers...

Hide contents

The tip of Loki's sceptre is present on Disney+ where it was removed on Blu-ray, in the UK at least.

First of all- what?! Why?

Second of all- why use spoiler tags?

37 minutes ago, drmick said:

First of all- what?! Why?

The German DVD/BR had the same edit as the UK home releases:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=4135

At the time, there was speculation that it might have been that Disney made the edit to meet Germany's film certification requirements, and submitted the same version to the BBFC.

(That death is not even Loki's most gruesome action in Avengers anyway - that honour goes to the offscreen implied eyeball gouging with the retina scanner gadget.)

22 minutes ago, Nick R said:

The German DVD/BR had the same edit as the UK home releases:

https://www.movie-censorship.com/news.php?ID=4135

At the time, there was speculation that it might have been that Disney made the edit to meet Germany's film certification requirements, and submitted the same version to the BBFC.

(That death is not even Loki's most gruesome action in Avengers anyway - that honour goes to the offscreen implied eyeball gouging with the retina scanner gadget.)

Ah, the tip on one particular scene. Gotcha.

17 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

They're all rated 12 and rightfully so.

Raiders of The Lost Ark should be your reference regarding The First Avenger, there's one particular death that's probably the most brutal in the entire MCU.

The rating is more for the use of the occasional ‘shit’, no?

20 hours ago, Pob said:

:lol:

23 hours ago, ckny said:

The rating is more for the use of the occasional ‘shit’, no?

There's stuff slipped in here and there that kids won't get, but adults will giggle at. Like the wank joke in Guardians of The Galaxy.

I'm also sure that Tony Stark calls a child a 'pussy' at one point in Iron Man 3.

Crazy guy...

36 minutes ago, Gigawatt said:

The kids were watching Age of Ultron the other day and my 7-year old daughter came in to ask what Tony Stark meant when he told Black Widow and Hulk to “stop playing hide the Zucchini”. 

What was your answer? 

Made a list of a bunch of movies I hadn't seen yet from whats available on Disney Plus - mostly animated - and a few i hadn't watched for a long while. Slowly getting through them.

Mulan - surprised i never watched it before, was enjoyable enough.

Atlantis - Not bad, probably won't watch it again any time soon - came out at a weird time with Disney.

Basil Great Mouse Detective - This was the first movie i watched at the cinema. Haven't seen it for over 30 years. Enjoyable but surprisingly dark - i prefered the movies that followed this during the disney renaissance.

Herbie Love Bug - can't recall if i ever watched this one in particular but it was decent enough! Especially for a movie made in 1968.

Treasure Planet is probably the next one up.

48 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Made a list of a bunch of movies I hadn't seen yet from whats available on Disney Plus - mostly animated - and a few i hadn't watched for a long while. Slowly getting through them.

Mulan - surprised i never watched it before, was enjoyable enough.

Atlantis - Not bad, probably won't watch it again any time soon - came out at a weird time with Disney.

Basil Great Mouse Detective - This was the first movie i watched at the cinema. Haven't seen it for over 30 years. Enjoyable but surprisingly dark - i prefered the movies that followed this during the disney renaissance.

Herbie Love Bug - can't recall if i ever watched this one in particular but it was decent enough! Especially for a movie made in 1968.

Treasure Planet is probably the next one up.

Have you seen The Emperor's New Groove?

1 minute ago, Don Wiskerando said:

Have you seen The Emperor's New Groove?

I have indeed - got it on DVD. Good movie. I'm sure I've seen the sequel too.

Are there any of the disney sequels that are worth watching? I see most of them do (Atlantis, Mulan 2) but from my experience most Disney sequels are garbage.