rllmuk
Goose

Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we go it!

10 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I think that might be how all the apps are - I remember it took them a long time to even add a "resume playback" option.

Netflix definitely has a better interface than this, hopefully it'll improve over time and is just a small issue on an otherwise brilliant service. 

Everyone who has Disney+ and has never seen it should consume Phineas and Ferb. I'm 100% serious. It's genuinely brilliant.

• Upvote 2

Got it free for a week. Going to watch some old classic movies and try cheer myself up a bit. 

As a classic Simpsons superfan, that aspect ratio can get to fuck. 

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Everyone who has Disney+ and has never seen it should consume Phineas and Ferb. I'm 100% serious. It's genuinely brilliant.

I've been looking forward to it. I've hardly seen any but I've loved the couple of specials I've caught. 

• Upvote 1

This is really good. The fact you can just pop on a decent kids film in seconds is well worth the price alone. The picture quality is also great can't wait to see 4k

I might actually put up with my TV’s lousy HDR implementation for the 4K in the native app. (My PS4 is a Slim so no 4K SDR from that.) My TV’s an LCD so it basically feels like it’s riding the backlight brightness up and down all the time with HDR content, making dark scenes very dim indeed. I’ve studiously avoided HDR content as a result. But A New Hope in a resolution where you can see all the sand is amazing.

Edit - Oh shit when I turn off the power saving function this actually looks right. SMH I was probably capping the backlight brightness this entire time.

• Empathy 1

So I’ve tried this on all my devices now.

One X - Error 39, nothing

PS4 Pro - works but a horrible downscaled image.

LG C8 app - Works and in Dolby Vision

What’s with the discrepancies??

My TV popped up the HDR logo. Just tested the stream with A New Hope. It's still, 42 years later such a good looking film. 

We're having a movie night as none of us have seen Coco.

• Upvote 1

I’m a dumbass, when I put the TV in I couldn’t be bothered calibrating it yet so I just turned on the “energy saving” setting that scales down the backlight brightness automatically. That capped the backlight brightness which meant HDR wasn’t operating at the intended brightness level even when the backlight was at maximum. And I assumed that HDR didn’t work rather than remember to go in and calibrate everything right.

This is off topic but oof. 

3 minutes ago, womblingfree said:

So I’ve tried this on all my devices now.

One X - Error 39, nothing

I'm having no issues on the Xbox One X. Watched a film and an episode of Duck Tales no problem. 

4 hours ago, sofasurfer said:

Watched a bit of Star Wars on the Samsung was pretty damned good for a stream. Then tried the same thing via Sky Q and the quality is shocking. I know it's not 4K and no HDR but it's worse than the Sky movies HD version.

Watching Empire right now using the app on Sky Q and it looks pretty sharp. Maybe you were getting bandwidth issues or something.

I love the first National Treasure but the second one is awful. I'll still watch it, what else am I going to do.

Trying to get the app working on my little upstairs Samsung TV but it keeps crapping out everytime I try and load it.

Edit: Working, good old power off/on

Start watching the final season of Clone Wars only to get a green screen with the sound playing in the background :doh:

All seasons of the Simpsons though, cant wait to run through them with my daughter.

12 hours ago, Stejay said:

Haha! You’ll be lucky. She won’t even let me kiss her at the moment.

I was ordered to strip immediately after work last night, not for fun, for a hot shower, and there was a special new laundry bag to put all my clothes in which she then washed straight away.

This is literally how I enter the home after work too!

8 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Ugh, doesn't work on iOS 10 which my old, perfectly fine for good looking video iPad is stuck on. 

Same here....PITA. May have to find some money from somewhere to upgrade them. Sure I left that money tree growing in the back garden.

• Upvote 1

First thing I watched was Last Exit to Springfield on my lunch break - I haven't been able to watch The Simpsons since I purged all my DVDs a few years ago, so that was a treat, despite the aspect ratio. Now working through season 4 from the beginning, looking at the episode lists that's definitely where peak Simpsons began.

2 hours ago, Jammy said:

Watching Empire right now using the app on Sky Q and it looks pretty sharp. Maybe you were getting bandwidth issues or something.

even just the menu looked bad on a Sky Q compared to the tv’s native app. The content is also very much HDR/Dolby Vision, so watching through a Sky Q box can only be a massive compromise.

There are loads and loads of extras on certain films. End Game has loads of stuff including commentary, etc.

• Upvote 1

Just fired it up for the first time - so much content to watch! I'll never get around to all of that but the kids will be happy.

A few annoyances though:

Text is bloody tiny on the selection screen, I can't even read what some of the shows are! Mind you we only have a 32" 720P screen!

Lack of trailers on most things I checked is a shame. 

No parental controls that I can see. What's the point in a kids profile if they can just select our one and watch what they like? Suppose nothing too bad on there though. 

1 hour ago, footle said:

even just the menu looked bad on a Sky Q compared to the tv’s native app. The content is also very much HDR/Dolby Vision, so watching through a Sky Q box can only be a massive compromise.

Oh OK, I don’t really have any complaints, but I’ve only got my iphone to compare it against unfortunately. My LG telly doesn’t have Web OS 3 so I don’t have the D+ app for it :(

Looks like I’ll have to get a Firestick or something similar.

3 hours ago, Gordzilla said:

Anyone got the app on a Samsung tv?

Yeah I have on a Samsung QLED.  It was an impossible to miss ad when I turned it on this morning, so just had to click on it to download.

Any idea when episodes are released of episodic shows, like The Mandy or the Imagineers Project?

I know the quality's been cut down a bit because of the virus and all that, but holy fuck the image quality is god-awful.

• Upvote 1

Tried out a few things on my 4k projector and fire stick. HDR kicked in right away and even though I assume we're not getting actual 4k yet, Coco still looked bloody lovely.

From a review it seems it's limited to 1080p anyway on Sky Q boxes even if there weren't current restrictions

I've had a good rummage today and added a few things to watch, but quite frankly this is really for a younger audience. I'm not seeing a lot of content that will really keep me interested, and  if I did not have a youngster in the house I would struggle to see the point in subscribing.

However, I do, and I'm in for 12 months due to the yearly subscription deal. let's hope it picks up a bit.