rllmuk
Goose

Disney Plus - Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar - You name it, we go it!

6 hours ago, Thunder Monk said:

My Samsung TV is too old to support Disney+. I’m thinking of getting a Fire Stick to support the viewing. Does anyone have an alternative that avoids buying a device or at least a cheaper one.

2nd hand Chromecast.  You can get them from eBay from £5.00 up.  Just ignore all the knock off versions.  

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Waggo said:

Have you got an Xbox or PS4 as you can watch it through either of those.

7 hours ago, Ivanho said:

2nd hand Chromecast.  You can get them from eBay from £5.00 up.  Just ignore all the knock off versions.  

No console unfortunately. Will check out the chromecast, I might have one somewhere. Would it be casting from the browser?

5 hours ago, Thunder Monk said:

No console unfortunately. Will check out the chromecast, I might have one somewhere. Would it be casting from the browser?

No, here's how a Chromecast works:

-insert Chromecast into one of the HDMI ports on your telly - any telly or monitor with HDMI will work.

-connect Chromecast to your WiFi

- install the Disney+ app on your smartphone

-while your phone is connected to the same WiFi, when you start any app with Chromecast support (basically every video streaming app: Disney, Prime, YouTube, Twitch, etc) there will automatically appear an option to connect to the Chromecast 

- then press play on any video and it will stream to your telly from the Chromecast (your smartphone is basically a glorified remote in this case)

I'm down for a year's sub, I'll cancel Now TV to pay for it. If it wasn't for the kids I probably wouldn't bother. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No, here's how a Chromecast works:

-insert Chromecast into one of the HDMI ports on your telly - any telly or monitor with HDMI will work.

-connect Chromecast to your WiFi

- install the Disney+ app on your smartphone

-while your phone is connected to the same WiFi, when you start any app with Chromecast support (basically every video streaming app: Disney, Prime, YouTube, Twitch, etc) there will automatically appear an option to connect to the Chromecast 

- then press play on any video and it will stream to your telly from the Chromecast (your smartphone is basically a glorified remote in this case)

Thank you, I hadn’t realised there was an app.

1 minute ago, Thunder Monk said:

Thank you, I hadn’t realised there was an app.

Are the apps available yet?

Yes but on Android you can't download it if you're in an country that the service is not released yet (e.g. UK).

3 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Yes but on Android you can't download it if you're in an country that the service is not released yet (e.g. UK).

I can’t get the iOS app either, or on my LG tv. I caved today and did the 12 month preorder thing. 

I sideloaded it on Android on my phone and Shield TV a few weeks ago after taking up the UK offer so it was almost like a bonus month free. Would be nice if they had an unlimited Watchlist as once you go past a certain point it stops showing the older ones on your list. Not sure how big the list actually is. Also the ability to remove things from your continue watching list in case I don't like it. Plus if I stop watching a movie as the credits start to roll and it jumps to a small screen and then exit it still shows up as something I need to finish watching. So I have to load it back up and fast forward it all the way through the credits just to get it removed from the list. Just a few minor niggles that could easily be resolved.

It's nice that they have a list of movies and shows A-Z so you can look through the entire library.

As for iOS - you could probably get around it by creating a US iTunes account then logging in on your phone with a VPN and downloading it before switching back to your normal region. Probably not worth the hassle though considering you'd only be able to watch it on your phone and the UK release so near unless you have your router set-up to play nicely with your VPN when casting.

Is this definitely still going to launch next week do we know?   I know from my dealings with Sky that they are not looking to take on new customers at the moment, so they can concentrate on servicing existing customers and services at a time when they expect to have reduced staffing levels.

It is launching as scheduled. There were actually calls for it to launch early, but they said they’re sticking to schedule. 

45 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It is launching as scheduled. There were actually calls for it to launch early, but they said they’re sticking to schedule. 

I'd say licensing prevents them from launching earlier.

• Upvote 1

I just pre-ordered. No app on LG's store yet. I'm assuming that'll appear on the 24th.

I've just caved in and done this.  Do all films come straight there e.g. Frozen 2?

Also, is there 4k content?

I'd love it if they released Black Widow on Disney + in light of its recent release cancellation. Can't see it happening though - MCU films regularly make in the ballpark of $1 billion, and there's no way they'll generate anything like that amount from new subscription fees.

3 hours ago, mansizerooster said:

I'd love it if they released Black Widow on Disney + in light of its recent release cancellation. Can't see it happening though - MCU films regularly make in the ballpark of $1 billion, and there's no way they'll generate anything like that amount from new subscription fees.

It probably depends on if they can keep the ball rolling for future movie releases. They can make billions on the next movies as planned. But I think they're going to be hit hard in development. 

But if they could, Disney+ has a problem with lacking content. Which is also going to be fucked by all this. So maybe...

9 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Great idea, but I bet nothing comes of it. Everyone should retweet it though.

15 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Great idea, but I bet nothing comes of it. Everyone should retweet it though.

I have. That’s why I posted it here. 

• Upvote 1

Onward is hitting Disney plus on the 3rd of April in the US no word yet when they will drop it for the UK

With all this going on, I cannot bloody wait to cuddle up with my girls and watch Frozen II.

Pre-ordered this today, worth a punt for a year of TV at the price of a new game

What's the chances of those Marvel series being on it by the time my year subscription runs out? Minimal I guess

Any ideas when the Roku app goes live? No sign of it so far so not sure if I need to order a firestick instead. 

No apps anywhere. Looks like it’s being kept back until the service actually launches. 

On 19/03/2020 at 10:33, The Hierophant said:

No, I think that’s the last thing the networks need. Everyone streaming Star Wars films and crippling the ability for home workers to do any work. Plus forums would be crippled with the amount of comments being posted about Rise of Skywalker.

Also signed up for the deal. Secrets of Cinema’s superheroes episode and a Star Wars retrospective made it seem like a good idea. I noticed that the offer website seems to mention downloading a whole lot more than streaming - maybe that’s part of their plan to reduce bandwidth needs, encourage people to download the movies instead.