rllmuk
Goose

Disney Plus - All the Disney, Marvel, Star Wars & Pixar Content you can eat!

With streaming being the current big thing, Disney look to be getting in on the act - given their extensive back catalogue this probably makes a lot of sense. Why keep a cut of the streaming money when you can keep it all? Their content deal with Netflix ends some time in 2019 and they plan to have their own service up and running by that point. 

Details are still sketchy but it would seem that this currently only relates to Disney and Pixar, and does not yet included Star Wars CU or the Marvel CU. Not at this time, anyway. However, the article reports that things such as Frozen 2 and the like could (would?) be exclusive to the new Disney service. 

This comes after the news that they're also starting up an ESPN streaming service next year. In readiness, the company (Disney not ESPN) have bought the streaming service, BAMtech, a company it already had a stake in but now owns wholesale (or will). 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-pull-movies-netflix-launch-streaming-service-1027793

• Upvote 1

Meh. The point of ditching traditional, expensive cable/satellite subscriptions was to cut costs. I'm sure as hell not signing up to all of these though. If CBS All Access (for the forthcoming Star Trek Discovery) was a bridge too far, Disney can poke this up their bum.

• Upvote 4

It wouldn't surprise me if Netflix goes bust and is sold on in the next few years. They're burning too much cash with all their own shows, where only a quarter are any good and are running at a loss this year. Loads of content will be up for renegotiation soon, and they'll be after ten times the original asking price from Netflix.

57 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Netflix goes bust and is sold on in the next few years. They're burning too much cash with all their own shows, where only a quarter are any good and are running at a loss this year. Loads of content will be up for renegotiation soon, and they'll be after ten times the original asking price from Netflix.

You're talking rubbish. They've just had their biggest quarter ever in terms of adding new subscribers.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Isaac said:

You're talking rubbish. They've just had their biggest quarter ever in terms of adding new subscribers.

They are running at a loss this year cause they keep making rubbish shows no-one is interested in. I can see them seriously scaling down their own productions in the next few years.

Hmm... I still think Netflix is worth the sub cost, if only for its own stuff. I wouldn't sub to a Disney service though as I buy all the Star Wars and Marvel stuff on bloo by default, and whichever of the animations I like enough.

23 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

They are running at a loss this year cause they keep making rubbish shows no-one is interested in. I can see them seriously scaling down their own productions in the next few years.

They are running at a loss (like pretty much every other big tech company bar Facebook) because they are currently focusing on growth, not profit.

• Upvote 1

Let's not forget they've also just bought the rights to Mark Miller's comic books with a view to creating their own studio/universe with them.

Yeah, Mentazm is creating good shows with success.  If that was the case ITV would have disappeared years ago.

For what it's worth, I do think Netflix are producing quite of a lot of chaff at the moment.  But I don't think that alone will be the death of them.  I think they personally need to focus on a selection of good original series and also secure rights to a array of decent old school shows.  Most people I know tend to use Netflix for their television/netflix original shows catalogue rather than their film library. 

Depending on the cost, securing some live sport would also open up some new subscriber avenues for them.  And assuming it is a season of sport you also ensure people cannot easily cancel. 

Just for the record I only ever watch Netflix content on Netflix so I'm a fan, but think they need to replace some of guys who give shows the thumbs up, cause quite a lot are terrible.

• Upvote 2

So I presume this would see the Marvel Netflix shows move over to Disney then? I hope that doesn't mean a scaled back less violent type of show. I'm not into the Agents of Sheild/DC TV stuff cause I find it a bit corny.

15 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

Just for the record I only ever watch Netflix content on Netflix so I'm a fan, but think they need to replace some of guys who give shows the thumbs up, cause quite a lot are terrible.

Rather than being terrible, maybe they're not to your taste? But it is possible that those terrible shows are popular with other subscribers.

For example, Love Island is not to my taste but I can't deny that it is popular. Plus we're generally a 35 - 45-ish demographic on here so what we tend to like may not really be similar to someone of around 16 - 23. Obviously there will always be some crossover but culturally, "terrible" shows are generally catering for someone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mentazm said:

Does Netflix really want to be known as being full of lowest common denominator shite though? It should be aiming higher like hbo.

In fairness, any business that desires to be truly mass market will need a mix of content.  Some Love Island, some Games of Thrones and some Mad Men (basically high end prestige show which makes up for lack of viewers with industry award and chatter). 

Netflix has not done too badly on the original content front but there is some, from my point of view, chaff there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_original_programs_distributed_by_Netflix

A lot of its own shows have been renewed though so it shows that they are working for Netflix.  But ti does seem that they have rather coasted since the early days of House of Cards and Orange is the New Black. 

2 hours ago, Goose said:

Let's not forget they've also just bought the rights to Mark Miller's comic books with a view to creating their own studio/universe with them.

Eww

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

Does Netflix really want to be known as being full of lowest common denominator shite though? It should be aiming higher like hbo.

A popular (illicit) streaming site that I sometimes use has access to everything. The Wire. GoT. Sopranos. Adam Curtis Docs.

Love Island typically always tops the viewing chart. The internet isn't exactly the preserve of delusional wannabe intellectuals anymore, it's the mainstream.

3 hours ago, Mentazm said:

As long as they keep bringing us Alison Brie's tits

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Rather than being terrible, maybe they're not to your taste? But it is possible that those terrible shows are popular with other subscribers.

For example, Love Island is not to my taste but I can't deny that it is popular. Plus we're generally a 35 - 45-ish demographic on here so what we tend to like may not really be similar to someone of around 16 - 23. Obviously there will always be some crossover but culturally, "terrible" shows are generally catering for someone else.

Thanks for explaining how opinions work.

I was about to post something along the lines of "only the really big companies like Disney can get away with this" because you can see the likes of Universal and WB doing this and then having to go back with their tails between their legs because we're not all going to take out a dozen separate subscriptions. We're already at a point where something is coming to Hulu and we automatically think "oh well, plenty of other things to watch". Marvel's Runaways? I'll live...

But ... Disney might be too big and too safe for it to be worth anyone subscribing. While they will have Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars ... anyone who would really cares probably buy the physical copies and/or went to the cinema to see them. Anyone who doesn't care will have plenty of other things to watch until it's on the telly. I probably spend half a Netflix subscription a year on Disney blu-rays to get the bulk of what they make and I can't see them coming up with a price to tempt to me to stream instead. 

For the UK, it'll be interesting to see if they stop Sky from having pretty much the same deal as Netflix does in the US. 

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out in the medium term. The entertainment industry has been pretty good eventually at making content available enough and cheap enough to have reduced the volume of piracy significantly (although not its availability.)

But that's mostly been at the cost of the old big boys (cord cutting and tier-downpsinning is eating into the profits and revenues of the cable companies on both sides of the Atlantic.) At the same time, high-end content is getting ever more expensive to make. And one Netflix subscription represents a lot less income to the overall entertainment industry than a top-tier Sky package.

So where do they get the remainder from? Will customers go and grab Netflix, and Amazon Prime, and Spotify, and Disney, and HBO, and Hulu, and so on? Then you're back up at the same levels of expenditure, eventually. Does it actually disguise how much you're spending when it's not in one bill (and some are annual, and some are monthly), and customers will end up accidentally spending more? Or will they just give up?

I guess it depends what level the individual subscriptions eventually level off at.  A fiver per service for example is a significantly different proposition than £15 per service. 

51 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

And one Netflix subscription represents a lot less income to the overall entertainment industry than a top-tier Sky package.

Sure - but most of a top-tier Sky package isn't going anywhere near the creators of this type of content, if it's not being spent on Sport, a large proportion of it is going into Sky's pockets: they don't run at a loss.

11 minutes ago, footle said:

Sure - but most of a top-tier Sky package isn't going anywhere near the creators of this type of content, if it's not being spent on Sport, a large proportion of it is going into Sky's pockets: they don't run at a loss.

Loads of it goes to sport, sure. But they contribute a non-trivial sum to HBO's coffers for the exclusive rights, the deal with Showtime would also cost them a fair amount, and standard non-exclusive carriage rights aren't cheap (and then also get charged to Virgin, BT and all the other operators globally.)

What I'm saying isn't that Sky losing customers represents a change. What I'm saying is that all cable/satellite operators losing customers would/does.