Sign in to follow this  
MattyP

Steam, Epic store, multiple stores, game launchers. The state of PC gaming in 2019.

Epic game store / platform  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was on my PC the other day and just looking at the number stores, launchers and platforms on there and my thought was  "This is just a mess."

I know its an open platform but the problem is Epic is now mixing it all up with their "store". Of course the store isn't really a store at all its another platform. A platform that is buying exclusives to tease people over to it.

So generally what are the thoughts around this? Is Epic and more platforms a good or bad thing?

In one respect competition is good as it can bring down prices... however what we are dealing with here is locking of games to a platform (so eliminating competition altogether on PC gaming). I just want an open PC and buy my games and use them on which service I choose too. Which is Steam because I like it. :D I don't want a whole new friends list etc etc or another platform to support dammit... it'll be like having multiple consoles in software form on a PC.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

GOG is good for PC gaming customers. Itch is good for PC devs.

Steam, Epic, and all the rest are mostly looking to lock you into their eco-systems. Competition between them is good, and leads to better features, so I'm glad to see a new big contender, but I'll favour the most openhanded stores.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

If it wasn't Epic trying to break Valve's de facto monopoly on game distribution on Microsoft Window's powered PCs, it'll be somebody else as an interesting tweet from a former Valve employee indicates what the various financial analysts have guestimated over the years is very true, there is fair amount of money slushing through Valve's pipes that somebody else would love to either compete away or take over.

That's how open markets work. Some person makes a shitload of money out of an idea, competitors arrive to take a slice of that pie.

Consumers usually do prefer the easy life, which generally means they tacitly want a benign dictator to tell them what to do and when.

• Downvote 1

I don't care about epic nor do I care about using a different launcher.

I've never gotten any use out of the steam "services" people mention. I just play the games.

I don't think a dev has any obligation to offer their game on Steam.

Steam taking a 30 percent cut is a joke. They don't make the hardware, the os, the engine,dev tools etc etc, so why should they be taking the same cut apple do on ios apps or the console holders do on games sold on consoles they designed/marketed/created tools for?

If they have to substantially lower their cut as a result of having some competition, that will be great.

• Upvote 5

Steam's development has been stagnating for years. We need more competition not only to encourage existing platforms to improve, but to weaken Valve's current grip on the market, which can't be healthy for developers in the long run.

• Upvote 3

I think having a serious competitor to Steam is a great thing, if Valve make less money for doing nothing then they might start making lovely games again.

• Upvote 2

I honestly could not give a shit what launcher a game comes on as long as it's good value and well optimised. The fury over this baffles me more than the console wars.

• Upvote 9

8 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

The fury over this baffles me more than the console wars.

I think its an issues if you have all your online mates on say Steam... and then Epic releases an exclusive game ... so now you have two sets of friends lists. Two platforms with various differences and quirks. It could get messy.... Technically we already have three platforms now. Epic, MS Store and Steam. :D 

Personally not furious but just want an easy life and to be able to choose which store/platform I want to buy my game on! :) 

Agree though Valve's 30% cut is too much. Hopefully competitors will help cut this.

• Downvote 1

They sort of already have. Valve got word of the launch of the Epic Store via their suppliers, which is why they offered a sweetner to the suppliers who actually generate most of their revenue before Epic even launched their rival. Anybody generating serious sales on STEAM are getting a kickback/discount on revenues over a certain threshold. It's just the 99.99% who aren't going to get any benefit at present.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, mushashi said:

They sort of already have. Valve got word of the launch of the Epic Store via their suppliers, which is why they offered a sweetner to the suppliers who actually generate most of their revenue before Epic even launched their rival. Anybody generating serious sales on STEAM are getting a kickback/discount on revenues over a certain threshold. It's just the 99.99% who aren't going to get any benefit at present.

A bit shameless how they only tried to appeal to the biggest AAA publishers and everyone else could go fuck themselves :lol: But did it even work? Ubisoft and THQ Nordic went over to Epic immediately

Actually surprised MS haven't tried to get more 3rd party content onto their store... suppose their cut is perhaps worse (higher) than Valves.

I'd probably just use that if so... what with the XBox and its friends list....

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, MattyP said:

I think its an issues if you have all your online mates on say Steam... and then Epic releases an exclusive game ... so now you have two sets of friends lists. Two platforms with various differences and quirks. It could get messy.... Technically we already have three platforms now. Epic, MS Store and Steam. :D 

Personally not furious but just want an easy life and to be able to choose which store/platform I want to buy my game on! :) 

Agree though Valve's 30% cut is too much. Hopefully competitors will help cut this.

I'd only be outraged if I had to pay to use another launcher or pay to play online (this maybe Microsoft's ambition).  As it is, all launchers are free so if you and your mates want to play online together in a game you're all going to buy the game from whatever store holds it.  I have not used them but I'm sure there is software that unifies all launchers so they are all in one tidy place if that makes it easier.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Actually surprised MS haven't tried to get more 3rd party content onto their store... suppose their cut is perhaps worse (higher) than Valves.

People were aghast at Microsoft getting involved, though. 

24 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Also the MS Store essentially doesn't work.

In what way? I've downloaded all my game pass games to the PC via it? Can't say I've had any problems doing that. Think its essentially the same thing as the Xbox store.

Find it amusing that people complain like f**k about MS store and MS's products etc etc then use MS's OS... :D Great having a single closed OS that allows these stores to run and work with all your apps isn't it?  This is why I personally like Steam... keeps all my PC gaming together. If I could get all my content from the MS Store I'd use that and Xbox app to play online. I guess you can also use Linux too though. Anybody use Linux on their PC for everyday use and play games on? Or did anyone buy a Steambox?

Used to have Linux as my main OS once but support from the top vendors wasn't great. Graphics drivers in particular were slow to get updates, if they did at all. This was a few years back mind so it might have changed significantly.

• Downvote 2

All i have seen is that more games than ever are being released in their console form AND on the PC.  This is pushing me to buy a new PC next instead of a PS5 or Xbox Two. They can wait this time.

13 minutes ago, Hello Goaty ♥ said:

All i have seen is that more games than ever are being released in their console form AND on the PC.  This is pushing me to buy a new PC next instead of a PS5 or Xbox Two. They can wait this time.

Indeed. Liking MS's new strategy in bring parity with first party  PC and Xbox releases. They really are gunning for Xbox being a platform. Think they released having a separate thing for Windows games was just not a great idea. Just hope they can get some third parties involved... they will. Not sure when though. Make it much easier for Xbox/PC gamers and grow the community even more.

I've been slowly rebuilding my PC this gen ready. Only thing is that I know some exclusives will come  to the PS5 I may want to play however Xbox will be covered on the PC. As mentioned it can wait though for sure. Looking how long it took Sony to get firing all the decent exclusives out last time a couple of years maybe the sweet spot.

• Downvote 1

Genuinely don't get why it's a problem? Surely you just have shortcuts to all the Stores on your desktop and fire up whichever one has the game you're looking to play? 

I honestly couldn't care less if there was 100 different stores as long as they are easy to use and laid out well. 

• Upvote 3

The problem with the Epic Store is that they aren’t trying to be better in a way that’s meaningful to customers. They’re just buying exclusives to force you to use the store. The 70/30 split seems to be standard, so I’m not sure why Valve are getting singled out for it. Suggesting that they don’t do anything to justify it is wrong as well.

Edited by Super Craig
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, CovisGod said:

Genuinely don't get why it's a problem? Surely you just have shortcuts to all the Stores on your desktop and fire up whichever one has the game you're looking to play? 

I honestly couldn't care less if there was 100 different stores as long as they are easy to use and laid out well. 

The problem though is the each of these stores and launchers don't just sit idle on the PC. They don't just launch the games. They connect over the internet to work, do updates take PC resources away. If you also use your PC for other things too they are a pain just another thing to manage. Just my 2ps worth. Having 100s of launchers on my PC would be my idea of complete hell and it would just send me back to console gaming full time again. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The problem with the Epic Store is that they aren’t trying to be better in a way that’s meaningful to customers. They’re just buying exclusives to force you to use the store. The 70/30 split seems to be standard, so I’m not sure why they’re getting singled out for it. Suggesting that they don’t do anything to justify it is wrong as well.

Thats the issue I have really. It will happen anyway but don't like the idea of having to buy into Epics platform just to play a certain game. Because like mentioned we'll just have another competitor come along and same thing will happen again. Anyway... it will be what it will be. Only choice we have as consumers is not to buy into it. :) Which is what personally I will do. Happy to stick to Steam or windows store and the Xbox app.

• Downvote 2

I don’t understand what you life has to look like to get genuinely upset about this as some people on the internet seem to be. 

But it’s probably a good thing. They’re not buying every game out there, they’re buying enough to get people to set up accounts and then they can compete with Steam once that hurdle is out of the way. It seems this has to be done because platforms like GOG which are DRM free and offer a decent launcher if you want to use it don’t get used. 

PC gamers are seemingly willing to all but kill off competition in the name of having a nice and tidy list of games. Loads of people would never find out if they’re competing in a “meaningful way to consumers” because of this. 

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

The problem with the Epic Store is that they aren’t trying to be better in a way that’s meaningful to customers. They’re just buying exclusives to force you to use the store. The 70/30 split seems to be standard, so I’m not sure why Valve are getting singled out for it. Suggesting that they don’t do anything to justify it is wrong as well.

The epic store are offering a financial  incentive for developers/publishers to put their game on the Epic store, both by paying for exclusivity and also by offering a far more reasonable share of the profits, considering what selling someone else's game on your windows storefront actually is. As I said, steam don't pump money into designing the hardware people play on, they don't put money into marketing it, they don't make first party games to build and maintain the consumer base in the way the console makers do, they don't make the tools/OS/devkits etc that devs use to make games.

What do Steam do to justify taking the same cut that the console makers take?

The people who make a PC game should be free to choose which online stores to offer or not offer it on.

I don't see why people think steam has some sort of entitlement to have access to every PC game any company makes.

If Steam were some sort of public owned storefront/charity/nonprofit organisation, I might understand the

resistance people have to the idea that they don't have a god given right to a 30 percent cut of the money from any PC game someone makes.

• Upvote 7

37 minutes ago, MattyP said:

The problem though is the each of these stores and launchers don't just sit idle on the PC. They don't just launch the games. They connect over the internet to work, do updates take PC resources away. If you also use your PC for other things too they are a pain just another thing to manage. Just my 2ps worth. Having 100s of launchers on my PC would be my idea of complete hell and it would just send me back to console gaming full time again. 

You only need to run the launcher for the game you are going to play.

roll-safe-black-guy-pointing-at-his-head-.jpg.6b5832b5f252f2fd5ef23c9904eca6c5.jpg

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

Given the stupid amount of games we all buy and never play, how are you supposed to know under which launcher the game you're going to listlessly scroll past and not play is actually under though?!

Here's how (maybe):

https://playnite.link/

https://www.launchbox-app.com/download

https://gameroom.me/

Disclaimer; I don't use any of these. Steam4eva!

• Upvote 3

I think Steam is awesome. All the constantly updated offers, charts, reviews, curators, forums, trading cards etc adds up to a store that has some sort of depth. Clearly it has evolved over many years and as such it’s competitors have a lot of catching up to do. I don’t really care where I buy my games from though and won’t be boycotting anything on the Epic Store. Nonetheless the bare bones nature and road map that has scheduled rudimentary features far to far in the future leaves Epic unsurprisingly under fire. They’ve obviously got Tencent money behind them and Fortnite has brought in serious cash but in the long term I’d be surprised to see them genuinely be a competitor to Steam.

As for launchers when my PC boots up it launches Steam, Origin and whatever Ubisofts launcher is called. I don’t seem to have any issues with them running in the background.

23 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

roll-safe-black-guy-pointing-at-his-head-.jpg.6b5832b5f252f2fd5ef23c9904eca6c5.jpg

Agree however most launchers stay resident and run at start up. True just disable them yes. Anyway. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

This would be true if you gave zero fucks about how much of your money is going to the people who are making the games you buy.

• Upvote 3