Sign in to follow this  
MattyP

Steam, Epic store, multiple stores, game launchers. The state of PC gaming in 2019.

Epic game store / platform  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

32 minutes ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

I run all launchers, Windows 10 and the majority of my games off SSD’s. I never need to re-enter passwords and everything absolutely flies on my PC. It’s an absolute breath of fresh air compared to the slog of the OS and loading times on my Xbox One X. 

Well. This is why I was trying to decide whether to go back to the PC and game full time on there or stick with consoles. I have a decent spec PC with SSDs etc. Windows 10 is IMHO the best windows yet. MS exclusive games are now on PC (as of Sea of thieves). XBox Live and MS Store is baked into Windows 10 and Game Pass is heading over to PC officially this year. It was the reason why I was contemplating getting Dangerous Driving on the PC.

18 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

"Valve produces keys for other platforms and it's good, Epic does exactly the same thing and it's bad"

Is Epic letting the publishers use those keys anywhere other than Humble and the Epic store? I haven't been able to find out. I bought my copy of Metro from cdkeys which was probably sourced from a boxed copy. It also doesn't seem to be on Humble either (Or indeed any of the regular key sellers like GMG and gameplanet).

I personally like hunting around for the best prices. That's lessened a bit by Epic which is a shame. Maybe that'll change somewhat as Epic move out of the exclusives phase (Which probably isn't sustainable long term) and into a more competetive phase.

Overall I'm pleased to currently have a PC that'll get me through a good chunk of next gen with the odd upgrade here and there :) No matter what stores I end up using.

There can be issues with different launchers though. Look at the mess on Gog when No Man's Sky multiplayer only worked for Steam users.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, Flub said:

Is Epic letting the publishers use those keys anywhere other than Humble and the Epic store?

Literally in the post you quoted:

And the Humble deal looks to be just the beginning of Epic’s ambitions to spread its store ecosystem beyond its own store and launcher.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For anyone overwhelmed by the insane number of launchers on PC, I've written you a guide:

Launcher: Steam
Icon: Blue lines and circles
Exclusive Games: Only ones they got by having a stranglehold on the industry, no bad ones they got by actually contributing money to the people who made the game
Features: Trading cards, store pages, a shopping cart, run by a group of people who contribute nothing to the industry
Rename ideas: GOODBOYS, ONELAUNCHERONENATION, ILOVEGABEN

Launcher: Epic Games 
Icon: It says their name on to help with the confusion
Exclusive Games: Fortnite, like three triple A games they gave money to the developers of
Features: Pays the people who made your games fairly, also contributes to the engine many games are made on. NO TRADING CARDS.
Rename ideas: Obviously you don't have it so it doesn't matter

Launcher: Origin
Icon: Like a little O
Exclusive Games: Just EA ones, Battlefield, Apex, maybe Dragon Age or some shit
Features: Slightly less shit than UPlay, substantially less likely to succeed than Epic
Rename ideas: Battlefield

Launcher: UPlay
Icon: Probably a U?
Exclusive Games: None? Ubisoft's games still seem to be on Steam
Features: Was cool to hate before Epic took their place
Rename ideas: Udontneedthis, Ubisoftsuxxx, Ureallyshouldntstruggletorememberfivethings

Launcher: GOG
Icon: Fuck knows, nobody actually has this shit installed
Exclusive Games: I don't think so, certainly none that will trouble Steam, which is what really matters
Features: You can say that this one is good because they also treat the developers well and that's why you don't have this one installed either
Rename ideas: 5, theotherone, fuckyoubrokeridohavethis

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

14 minutes ago, Broker said:

For anyone overwhelmed by the insane number of launchers on PC, I've written you a guide:

Launcher: Steam
Icon: Blue lines and circles
Exclusive Games: Only ones they got by having a stranglehold on the industry, no bad ones they got by actually contributing money to the people who made the game
Features: Trading cards, store pages, a shopping cart, run by a group of people who contribute nothing to the industry
Rename ideas: GOODBOYS, ONELAUNCHERONENATION, ILOVEGABEN

Launcher: Epic Games 
Icon: It says their name on to help with the confusion
Exclusive Games: Fortnite, like three triple A games they gave money to the developers of
Features: Pays the people who made your games fairly, also contributes to the engine many games are made on. NO TRADING CARDS.
Rename ideas: Obviously you don't have it so it doesn't matter

Launcher: Origin
Icon: Like a little O
Exclusive Games: Just EA ones, Battlefield, Apex, maybe Dragon Age or some shit
Features: Slightly less shit than UPlay, substantially less likely to succeed than Epic
Rename ideas: Battlefield

Launcher: UPlay
Icon: Probably a U?
Exclusive Games: None? Ubisoft's games still seem to be on Steam
Features: Was cool to hate before Epic took their place
Rename ideas: Udontneedthis, Ubisoftsuxxx, Ureallyshouldntstruggletorememberfivethings

Launcher: GOG
Icon: Fuck knows, nobody actually has this shit installed
Exclusive Games: I don't think so, certainly none that will trouble Steam, which is what really matters
Features: You can say that this one is good because they also treat the developers well and that's why you don't have this one installed either
Rename ideas: 5, theotherone, fuckyoubrokeridohavethis

So according to Broker there are only 5 launchers. Epic only has only paid for 3 exclusives and Ubisoft games such as The Division 2 and Anno 1800 are also on Steam (Anno won't be once it's released). It's always nice to see someone being a knob while not having any idea what they are actually taking about. :wub:  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I would prefer to use one launcher only for obvious reasons, and I do hate that larger publishers all want their own steam, but this whole thing has been blown out of proportions. Multiple launchers are not much of an issue or hassle. 

4 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

This is a bit unfair. Valve didn't (to my knowledge) pay for those exclusives. Many of them will be from before any other reasonable platform existed (Humble, Itch).

Exclusivity is of course a Devs choice. But I don't think most people like paid exclusives at all. Particularly time based ones. Its obviously slightly different on console where there is a hardware (and therefore cost) barrier. Here, it's not as bad but I'd still needed them to be on all stores so we can make up our mind without that push.

But then that's business I guess.

That's a fair comment. I can see why devs have released only on Steam. The thing that will always irk me about Steam is the part it played in the gradual erosion of game ownership on PC. Something which leads to these exclusives on PC 'platforms'. I still use it, so I'm not a hard liner or anything. It just irks me. I'm irked.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spork said:

So according to Broker there are only 5 launchers. Epic only has only paid for 3 exclusives and Ubisoft games such as The Division 2 and Anno 1800 are also on Steam (Anno won't be once it's released). It's always nice to see someone being a knob while not having any idea what they are actually taking about. :wub:  

How someone misinterprets an obviously jokey post as being sincere I don't know.

18 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

How someone misinterprets an obviously jokey post as being sincere I don't know.

1. Because it was Broker.

2. It was shit.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, spork said:

1. Because it was Broker.

2. It was shit.

If only I could aspire to the intellectual heights of your post which called my post shit. That's a real contribution.

For reference, my PC only has Steam and the Epic launcher. Oh and the Nvidia thing I guess. I only have the Epic one because I use UE4 for development at uni, and because my kid plays Fortnite. I got Origin a few weeks ago to try Apex but I uninstalled it. I don't really play any Ubisoft games, never any on PC. Never used any of the other launchers or seen any reason to try them. I just think Steam is shit and want someone else to replace them or encourage them to be less shit. Or to do literally anything.

HOPEFULLY WITH THIS APPROPRIATE CONTEXT YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHICH PARTS OF MY ORIGINAL POST WERE SHIT JOKES.

• Upvote 1

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/how-the-epic-games-store-compares-to-steam-right-now/

As of Jan 2019.

features.png.c3a0407d99e99ea10c14d6288e007bde.png

Personally if I was gaming full time on the PC I know which I'd choose as a platform to game on!

Not defending Valve or Steam but to say they have "done nothing" for gaming on the PC and they have been "lazy" is a bit of an exaggeration to be fair.

Think the other thing Epic pulled that upset the PC community at large was the whole Metro debacle. More of a publisher thing but to have pre-orders up on the store for a long while for a game and then for the publisher to pull it two weeks before to exclusively put it on the Epic store is a bit of pissy thing to do IMHO. Still its not Epic guess its the publisher.  However it won't help Epics case with PC gamers TBH. I know that people who had pre-ordered on Steam had their pre-orders honoured but still.

Guessing these type of antics will now continue on the PC for the foreseeable future. It will settle down at some point though. 

In the end I'm guessing its not just Epic that should get the brunt of this its the publishers too who choose to go exclusive on one platform over another.

Its just like the console wars of past. Now third parties mostly publish on all platforms - the kickback MS got for exclusively keeping one of the Tomb Raider games on Xbox backfired somewhat. I expect these antics will in time too. 

• Downvote 3

They don't do anything now. Just like they're still coasting by on having made good games years ago, they're gliding along as Steam gets gradually worse, adding nothing to it. Much of what they have now is much more of a mess than having multiple launchers, with tonnes of systems for reviews and pages and pages of bullshit. Reviews that mean nothing because they're mostly about who the weirdly aggressive Steam community are angry with this week than the quality of games. Hundreds of games released each week into their tangle of groups and curators and reviews, with hundreds of horrible games with disgusting content creeping in. All because they'd rather keep more money, do nothing every day and refuse to have any people actually working on curating and running Steam.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Broker said:

They don't do anything now. Just like they're still coasting by on having made good games years ago, they're gliding along as Steam gets gradually worse, adding nothing to it. Much of what they have now is much more of a mess than having multiple launchers, with tonnes of systems for reviews and pages and pages of bullshit. Reviews that mean nothing because they're mostly about who the weirdly aggressive Steam community are angry with this week than the quality of games. Hundreds of games released each week into their tangle of groups and curators and reviews, with hundreds of horrible games with disgusting content creeping in. All because they'd rather keep more money, do nothing every day and refuse to have any people actually working on curating and running Steam.

Should be really easy for Epic to come along and make a decent store that has at least a tiny bit of feature parity then, especially with all of their money!

the weirdly aggressive Steam community

What about the weirdly aggressive Broker and Rubberjohnny community? :lol: Why are you both so infatuated that people have a preference to whether they use a particular game launcher or not? It's pretty weird.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, spork said:

Should be really easy for Epic to come along and make a decent store that has at least a tiny bit of feature parity then, especially with all of their money! 

That's what they're doing, yeah.

6 hours ago, simms said:

Steam I think is taking an unfair battering. They have released their own hardware like Steam link,  Steam controller and soon the Index VR headset with very cool controllers.  Along the software that makes this hardware work. The Steam controller configuration is something that is understated how great it is with support for all of the console controllers.  

The whole Steam environment is something that other stores will struggle to match feature wise.  I have all the launchers sitting on my taskbar and am happy to buy from any store but the Steam store is my preference.

You know who are Valve's biggest critics on this?, it ain't the customers, their suppliers have been bitching about the service they get for giving Valve 30% for a while, and at the last popularity poll, Valve only got a 6% positive approval rating for their service.

It's obvious why some customers/consumers are so vehemently opposed to Valve losing their de facto monopoly, it's in their best interests to have the developer/suppliers fund Valve's generosity and the ecosystem that has built up over the years around their software platform ;)

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/how-the-epic-games-store-compares-to-steam-right-now/

As of Jan 2019.

features.png.c3a0407d99e99ea10c14d6288e007bde.png

Think the other thing Epic pulled that upset the PC community at large was the whole Metro debacle. More of a publisher thing but to have pre-orders up on the store for a long while for a game and then for the publisher to pull it two weeks before to exclusively put it on the Epic store is a bit of pissy thing to do IMHO. Still its not Epic guess its the publisher.  However it won't help Epics case with PC gamers TBH. I know that people who had pre-ordered on Steam had their pre-orders honoured but still.

And yet Metro Exodus topped the launch sales of the previous titles...

That comparision list is proper lols too, how many of those do you actually use? Cloud saves sure, but user profiles? User reviews (holy shit these are such a fucking trash fire), forums (even more of a trash fire), groups?! There's a lot of shit you really don't need there which people are going mental about because Steam. Screenshots? Just use shadowplay. User Guides? Never heard of gamefaqs? ;)

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Understood. So why didn't Epic at least make the store equivalent of what steam offers before releasing it then!!!! :D 

Why are people going to move and use an insuperior product? If you are going to get people onto your platform make it better. Or at the very least make it as good.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

And yet Metro Exodus topped the launch sales of the previous titles...

That comparision list is proper lols too, how many of those do you actually use? Cloud saves sure, but user profiles? User reviews (holy shit these are such a fucking trash fire), forums (even more of a trash fire), groups?! There's a lot of shit you really don't need there which people are going mental about because Steam. Screenshots? Just use shadowplay. User Guides? Never heard of gamefaqs? ;)

Not the point. People *do* use this stuff and *do* have expectation that another supposedly competing product will have at least the same feature set? Or maybe something better?

Whole point is that its integrated and all in one place. :rolleyes:

• Downvote 2

All your questions have been in part answered by the mastermind behind EGS, Sergey Galyokin. He just has a different viewpoint and priorities on what actually is required for a modern gaming digital delivery platform, and it isn't trying to clone Valve but better, in his view.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, spork said:

What about the weirdly aggressive Broker and Rubberjohnny community? :lol: Why are you both so infatuated that people have a preference to whether they use a particular game launcher or not? It's pretty weird.

Think they are on Epics influencer payroll.... :lol: Must admit if they are they are doing a shit job here... more they post less likely I am to use the Epic launcher because I'm learning more about what actually doesn't do over the competition :sealclap:

• Downvote 4

Different strokes innit. People see Epic having developer opt in user reviews as a negative, I see it as a massive positive. Likewise for saying they won't do forums. I mean if only your PC had access to something that let you see if a game was for you or not...

• Upvote 2