IGNORED

Arcade racer chat

MattyP

1 hour ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

What is the best arcade racer on Xbox? No, Forza Horizon 5 doesn't count... too much bloat and open world. 

Think it depends on what type of arcade racer you like.

If enjoy pure distilled experiences I really enjoy Dangerous Driving. It's pretty much Burnout. Clean and un-bloated you, roads, nitro. Love the chaining mechanism in it too.  Oh and on the Series X it runs at 60fps.

2 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Forza Horizon 5

Far too much bloat IMHO. I know you can focus it down a bit using filters etc but it's just busy. Sure it's the perfect racer for the social media generation but I find it tiring to play with all the stuff that comes with it I really do not need to make my experience fun. 

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Lovelyman said:

Nope, Ridge Racer 6. 

On Series X?

Ah, you know why I automatically dismissed it? I only have a series S... no disc drive

image.thumb.jpg.7a51a03cdd5e8e42f24738424ac18d4e.jpg

Edited by SeanR

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

Is that the one that Alex Ward briefly joined to shill?

It is indeed! Think he still lurks around here from time to time!

https://rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/308340-dangerous-driving-its-burnout-out-now-brake-a-little-earlier-than-you-were-thinking-of-stay-on-the-gas-and-steer/#comment-12101959

Whilst it is not perfect its a great game to play and developed by a small indie team in the UK lead by ex Burnout developer Alex Ward. What they achieved is impressive IMHO.

Dangerous Driving 2 was supposed to be in development but everything seems to have gone extremely quiet regarding that. :(

I supported it because I want games like this to he developed going forward otherwise we may lose this genre completely as the big companies are moving away from the genre. 

28 minutes ago, SeanR said:

On Series X?

Ah, you know why I automatically dismissed it? I only have a series S... no disc drive

image.thumb.jpg.7a51a03cdd5e8e42f24738424ac18d4e.jpg

You can get it from the us store and set your console region to us to play it. 

13 minutes ago, spatular said:

Yeah I liked that dangerous driving. Inertial drift is good too but takes some getting into. Neither as good as rr6 mind.

Does RR6 work on Series X in Europe? I am bit confused with the comment above.

Yeah it is a bit confusing, I've not tried to get it to work personally, but think it works if you have the disk, or buy it digitally from a different region store (USA?).

22 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah it's not for sale on UK Xbox live. You need a disk or to buy it from the US/Mexico and change your region each time you want to play it 

You don't need to change your region every time you want to play it, just leave it set to USA.

It takes like 20 seconds to change it back to whatever if somehow you have managed to get a game that isn't licensed for the USA.

On 03/06/2022 at 12:11, MattyP said:

Dangerous Driving 2 was supposed to be in development but everything seems to have gone extremely quiet regarding that. :(

I supported it because I want games like this to he developed going forward otherwise we may lose this genre completely as the big companies are moving away from the genre. 

I assume they are still working on it, but as they had to get "on-trend" and go open-world, I'm not sure whether fans of Arcade racers are wanting to look forward to it anyway, unless you're after the unofficial sequel to the last mainline Burnout game, which I have little love for personally.

I am having a blast at the moment with Dirt 5. I initially dismissed it 2 years ago but it came alive again on my new OLED with VRR. The odd colors, extreme weather and classic soundtrack come together quite well. Let’s see how long it entertains me. 

None of that stupid Forza open world social influencer BS to be found. 

On 05/06/2022 at 01:32, Parappa said:

Whatever the question is. The answer is Wreckfest. Best arcade racer since ... I dunno....

It's very cool. The only messy part is figuring out how to get the next-gen upgrade. And even now I have upgraded to it in the store, the game does not show as a Series S/X optimized game in my library. But it looks sharper so I guess it worked.

On 09/04/2019 at 14:46, Qazimod said:

As for existing games, I'm still a big fan of Outrun 2/2006/Online Arcade - I bought it on around five different platforms, and I still have a 360 Slim with the game on the hard drive... but my PC copy of 2006 doesn't like my current Windows 10 configuration. :hmm: I should just emulate the PS2 game or something.

I got 2006 working on my main desktop in the end. :wub: I think I installed it and got it working on an old Win7 laptop and then just copied the directory to my desktop with a USB stick 🙃 - not sure how that solved anything...

If you don't mind dodgy sites, the PSP version of 2006 via emulation isn't bad either.

On 05/06/2022 at 15:40, MNFRMTMRRW said:

I am having a blast at the moment with Dirt 5. I initially dismissed it 2 years ago but it came alive again on my new OLED with VRR. The odd colors, extreme weather and classic soundtrack come together quite well. Let’s see how long it entertains me. 

None of that stupid Forza open world social influencer BS to be found. 

Hmmmm maybe I should go back and give it another go / chance. I got it very shortly after launch and found it all rather underwhelming but it’s probably fair to say that I maybe had higher than fair expectations of it. 

7 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I got 2006 working on my main desktop in the end. :wub: I think I installed it and got it working on an old Win7 laptop and then just copied the directory to my desktop with a USB stick 🙃 - not sure how that solved anything...

If you don't mind dodgy sites, the PSP version of 2006 via emulation isn't bad either.

I'm not one to flaunt dodgy games but Outrun 2006 C2C is an exception, it's never, ever going to see the light of day again, well bar a miracle.

Anyway, I have that and Sega Rally Revo playing beautifully on my W11 PC at 8K down sampled to 4K using DSR, ignore that last bit, just a flex and superfluous to my point, looks stunning mind. You can find them both in executable form on Archive.org. Piece of piss to setup and like I say, both play superbly and look the best they can on even a modest PC.

For anyone interested, try searching 'archive.org outrun 2006' etc, look for the executable file download, suppose you could go ISO but I can vouch for both their .exe being clean and working great.

I'll obliterate them if Sega ever have the stones to front new releases.

The Outrun 2 arcade releases run incredibly well with Teknoparrot on PC. IMO better than the native PC version. I had it running on a Q6600 and ancient NVidia 9600GT at native resolution.

Thanks for the final push I needed to get into Wreckfest (it was on my list but I think I wanted to wait for the Series S|X patch). Amazing game, hilarious at times, even my wife wants to play it now :)

14 minutes ago, MNFRMTMRRW said:

Thanks for the final push I needed to get into Wreckfest (it was on my list but I think I wanted to wait for the Series S|X patch). Amazing game, hilarious at times, even my wife wants to play it now :)

The tracks are the stars as much as the carnage imo 😀, the little bumps that throw your car off, those designed for carnage vs those designed for racing. Brilliant game.

17 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

The tracks are the stars as much as the carnage imo 😀, the little bumps that throw your car off, those designed for carnage vs those designed for racing. Brilliant game.

True. I hope this won't be the last game we see from the team.