IGNORED

Arcade racer chat

MattyP

4 hours ago, partious said:

I agree that the handling didn't feel like Sega Rally 1 and 2. The delisted PSN game is much closer to the handling and general feel of the first 2 Sega Rally games so they clearly designed and tweaked that to feel more "arcadey" and revo less so.

Also, as mentioned, the PC version of Revo has major frame pacing issues and isn't "super smooth" at all. I find it borderline broken and definitely inferior to the 360 version despite that being 30fps.

Teknoparrot runs Sega Rally 3 arcade really well if you have a reasonable PC. Plug in a FFB and it’s great fun!

34 minutes ago, MrSpiggott said:

How about split second? I loved the drifty handling, it just felt right.

A simple PSVR conversion would be fantastic with all the destruction going on around you.

Another good Arcade racer.  Loved the art style and all the background animations kicking of.  Wasn't entirely convinced on the drifting mechanics, but can let it slide cause the tracks are outstanding.  Would of been nice at 60fps to.

On 26/09/2020 at 12:24, StoooTube said:

On the subject of F355, has anyone got experience of a Brook Wingman SD converter? I’d like to use a wheel with my Dreamcast (Logitech G920). Surely if it works, that would completely transform the game, and perhaps Daytona as well. 

Daytona on the Dreamcast is a lost cause, its far too twitchy to be any fun. IIRC the original way to get through the game and try and get some playability out of it was to push the DC's analogue stick as far forward as possible in a straight line to the top, and then just ever so slightly move left to right

My home working project today is seeing if I can get the Motor Storm games to run in 1440p on my PC.

edit: it doesn’t hahaha! I get text but no video or in-game graphics. Never mind, looking in YouTube it seems maybe it’s not worth bothering with yet. I’ll just stick to playing it on the console.

12 hours ago, englishbob said:

Daytona on the Dreamcast is a lost cause, its far too twitchy to be any fun. IIRC the original way to get through the game and try and get some playability out of it was to push the DC's analogue stick as far forward as possible in a straight line to the top, and then just ever so slightly move left to right

Don't know how much difference it makes to the playability but I think you can edit the steering sensitivity in the US version (you can't in the Japanese version and I don't remember if the game came out in Europe).

20 hours ago, englishbob said:

Or you could just calibrate the analogue stick within the options for home controls as opposed to the default arcade (the same as what has to be done with F-Zero GX). EDIT: Like @partious said.

Interestingly this is exactly how arcade Daytona USA handles when emulated.

9 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Or you could just calibrate the analogue stick within the options for home controls as opposed to the default arcade (the same as what has to be done with F-Zero GX). EDIT: Like @partious said.

Interestingly this is exactly how arcade Daytona USA handles when emulated.

I bought the Japanese import version. (From the NextGen shop in Farnborough, the good old internet days)

3 hours ago, englishbob said:

I bought the Japanese import version. (From the NextGen shop in Farnborough, the good old internet days)

Leeds CEX here. On launch day.

I switched it for the US version later on. It's a great game, and I think it gets a lot of unwarranted flak.

15 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Leeds CEX here. On launch day.

I switched it for the US version later on. It's a great game, and I think it gets a lot of unwarranted flak.

It's probably OK on the US version for these fabled controller settings, the Japanese version though was a bit of a turd

Daytona 2001 with the Dreamcast wheel is excellent. I play it regularly, it looks amazing on VGA. The US and Pal versions have extra handling options but I had no issue with the JPN version with the wheel either. Granted, I can't play it very well with a stock controller across any version. Now Sega Rally 2 on the other hand is the opposite. 

• 8 months later...

afbeelding.thumb.png.d3b656a02ad7e4f9151804b627260e57.png

Bandai Namco protects ridge racer and rave racer 06/09/21 - Bandai Namco has registered some of its racing game classics from the 90s with the American Patent and Trademark Office: - Ridge Racer - Rave Racer - Victory Lap It is unclear what plans Bandai Namco is pursuing with trademark protection. New releases such as remakes or remastered versions might be planned; it could also be just a routine process with no further significance.

👀

31 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Rave Racer has never seen an official home release right?

Correct. Most (all?) tracks are in Ridge Racer and its sequel on PSP though. I highly recommend anyone/everyone download the PPSSPP emulator and Ridge Racers 1 & 2, stick them in high resolutions, and go wild.

Daytona on DC is intriguing. As has been said above the handling is dreadful on a control pad, fantastic on a steering wheel. Then, when emulation made it possible to play the arcade version on PC the handling is exactly the same as on a Dreamcast. It's almost as if the Dreamcast controls were copied exactly from the arcade machine with no tweaking at all.