Watch Dogs Legion - Visit London

6 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

So is there a main character? Without a main character to pin the story on, it's going to be even more difficult than normal to care about any of the characters in a Watchdogs game...

I don't think there's a main protagonist as such, the game is centred around the idea of controlling everybody so having a main playable character would run counter to this as a lot of players would probably end up defaulting to that character. 

Just found out this is actually being developed by the Splinter Cell:Blacklist team rather than the WD1 and 2 team which should hopefully bode well. Blacklist was great.

I was impressed by what I saw of this on the Ubisoft Forward stream last night. Depending on how much variety they can add to the personalities and unique weapons/gadgets/gameplay styles of each of the citizens, it could open up some really interesting ways to tackle each mission.

45 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

So is there a main character? Without a main character to pin the story on, it's going to be even more difficult than normal to care about any of the characters in a Watchdogs game...

Ubisoft seem to focus characterisation on their antagonists these days, which is a smart approach when your game is focused on player expression. In a sandboxy game where you can play the whole thing non-lethally, or shoot up the whole city, it doesn't really make sense to have a heavily-authored player character.

The main characters in this are likely to be the bad guys and the DedSec AI that gives you your missions.

On 13/06/2019 at 09:51, Cosmic_Guru said:

Looks big enough for me (assuming no compression).  Who wants to include the delights of Croydon, Neasden, Romford or [outer suburb of your choice] in the game?  They had one crack at Croydon with Assassin's Creed and that was quite sufficient!  A glimpse of more iconic sites like Greenwich, Hampstead or Wimbledon would be fine though.

Croyden is the special last stage you unlock where the floor is lava and everything is out to kill you. So pretty true to life.

The ACG video up there is really good. Sounds like he was properly investigating the procedurally-generated NPC recruitment tasks for generic or repeating missions but couldn't find any. It also sounds like you can sort of use more than one recruit at the same time by bringing them together (or perhaps ordering them to your location, not sure), then they'll join in the fight and defend you.

I'm still wondering if they've managed to make a game with no 'Game over' screen, or any point at which the game needs to rewind time for you to try again. Probably not, but it would be awesome if they'd managed it.

I couldn't see any evidence of level-gating on the map this time. It was definitely there in the last showing. Hopefully they've ditched any kind of pointless loot or levelling. NPCs do have health bars, though.

50 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Yeah, so you keep saying. 

Said it twice. 

Once in a thread about them being a disgusting company. And once here. 

So aye pal. 

Have decided not to watch any of these videos. Loved the first two and from the recent announcements it just sounds like they're running with the formula. 

XSX me do. 

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I mean, I think stuff like this sounds fine

There are clear archetypes: construction workers all feature a nail gun, a wrench, and a cargo drone, while spies come with a silenced pistol and a James Bond-style car, which can be summoned to their location and has missiles and an invisibility function.

What was he expecting, for there to be hundreds of different character types? It's completely unrealistic to expect the level of variety and differentiation he seems to want. I also think this helps for consistencies sake. If I don't have a builder in my squad but want a cargo drone then I go recruit a builder. It'd get annoying if, on top of finding a builder, they all had different perks and you had to drive around looking for the one you wanted.

Interview with Clint Hocking:

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/5RIKcWb9HBn65e9qRmnVkE/watch-dogs-legions-clint-hocking-on-how-delaying-the-game-let-innovation-flourish

Permadeath update:

After the delay there was a bunch of iteration, and that meant that some things got removed, some things got changed, and some things evolved. A good example is permadeath; the entire game was a permadeath mode, where if your operatives were killed, they were killed. There were some difficult design problems we were going to have to solve with that, and the way we solved it with the extra time was to make permadeath its own mode.

So now it's opt-in from the start of the game, and if you play in permadeath mode, your operatives can be permanently killed. One of the benefits of that is that, now that it's an opt-in mode, it's even more hardcore: if you team-wipe, or if all of your operatives are arrested, or put in the hospital, or killed at the same time, it's actually game over. We weren't comfortable with that when permadeath was the only option; now, it's a real hardcore mode for players who want to engage with that.

I know how I'll be playing it!

29 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Isn’t the complaint more that the game sells itself as “become anybody” but it boils down to there being say, 12 character types, with little variation in how they play? Eg. Construction workers may have minor cosmetic differences but they all have the same toolset and playstyle.

It could be really good obv, but I think it depends how character variation and NPC routines work. The other previews were impressed.

I think the 'play as anyone' thing is more fundamental than that. Yeah it's great that they have different traits and looks, but for me it's more about putting the player at the centre of the experience, instead of some authored character. Open world games with freedom of approach don't gel well with authored characters. They're either arseholes (Watch Dogs 1), too nice to let the player feel like they can really let loose with ultraviolence (Watch Dogs 2), or cause a total mismatch between player behaviour and the authored character (RDR2).

You could be someone generic. RPGs often let you define your character and then play in your chosen style. Or you could have the game react to how you play (Dishonored).

But then you're locked into a single approach. You decide at the start you're going to be a nice guy, and the immersion is broken as soon as you commit cold-blooded murder just to try out those lovely lethal weapons. If you commit one little massacre, the game still treats you as basically a good guy, yet really you've committed an atrocity and the game glosses over it.

What Legion promises to do is let the player experience the full range of gameplay styles and approaches without feeling like they're doing it wrong. Act like a maniac with one recruit, be a stealthy hacker with another. Violently murder a bunch of security guards then chuck your character into the Thames as penance.

Instead of experiencing the specific story the writers have crafted for you, it's about using the gameplay systems and world to create your own stories. A band of sketchily drawn recruits who can legit die at any point, and who act as vessels for a full range of player expression, is a totally valid way to let people experience a game world.

It's a bit concerning that there has been no mention at all of multiplayer. The multiplayer integration in WD2 was one of the most impressive things I've seen this gen. The way you'd be getting on with single player, get a message to say there's a bounty nearby, and see a massive police shootout in the distance - which was actually centred around another player who'd got themselves a 'wanted' level in their single player game, was mindblowing to me. I don't know how they synched the worlds so seamlessly. I also really liked the hacking invasions. Just the knowledge that there might be another player in your session, watching you go about your business, was bizarre.

Pob goes full ludonarrative dissonance on us :-)

Peb ignores the frustration of looking for the god roll construction worker when you want one: it’s just putting a barrier in the game to get in the way of you actually playing it.

1 hour ago, footle said:

Peb ignores the frustration of looking for the god roll construction worker when you want one: it’s just putting a barrier in the game to get in the way of you actually playing it.

I suppose that's if you consider the recruitment missions to be 'not the game'. The Far Cry 2 argument about having to constantly get past checkpoints, or how dangerous it is to travel between waypoints. That's the game.

For example - you have a story mission that involves hacking an airgapped server deep inside a corporate office building. You can recce the building interior from the outside by hacking cameras etc, but you can't easily physically get yourself inside without a lot of sneaking or shooting. You surmise that someone who works in that office will have easier access to the office space, if not the server room where the objective is located.  But you don't have an employee of that company on your roster. So you decide to hang around the streets outside profiling NPCs coming in and out until someone with decent perks and an appealing-sounding backstory emerges. Then, the gameplay becomes about doing some missions to get them onto your team. Once you've done that, you can do the actual story mission cleanly and with no deaths. That's entirely player-directed. The preamble to actually completing the mission objective is the game. I think a lot of people won't get it, but for me it sounds like gaming heaven.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hang on, so the invasion mode the other games had isn’t coming til after release?? As well as dynamic events, which seem to be random things occurring as you explore.

Is almost every game getting pushed out the door early or something?

:lol:

(The player hacks the cop's implant to shock him, allowing the citizen he was beating up get her own back spectacularly..)

EDIT: there's a stream of three WWE wrestlers playing the game and do likewise as the player character..

I wanted to like Watchdogs 1 and 2 a lot more than I actually did when playing them. Even with all the hacking stuff they just felt so uninspired and generic.

Hope the reviews turn this around, but at heart this really does look like more of the same old shit.

• gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - 29 October 2020
  • gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - Visit London