IGNORED

Watch Dogs Legion - Online Mode 9th March

gospvg

I think I was definitely too harsh in my last post, it looks great - although, yes, 30fps, and the sense of inertia that comes with it, takes a bit of adjusting to. 

I haven’t even really done a mission yet, just pootled around London de-fogging the map. I do like the techno-fascist aesthetic that’s been slathered over all the familiar landmarks, like a kind of ‘what if Priti Patel became PM’ visual exercise. 

The way areas have been hyper-compressed is really disorienting - driving down Acre Lane from Lambeth town hall in Brixton towards Clapham and suddenly passing the Brixton Academy, for example. I think it’s particularly disorienting because the attention to detail is so good. 

Also - for a police state, you can’t half get away with a lot of theft and dangerous driving!

I took advantage of the free trial this weekend, but I've already deleted it. For all the hot air I have read about the ray tracing, the game actually looks pretty poor. The 30fps does it no favours and I'm not seeing anything to suggest this is a series x showcase. The gameplay unfortunatly even more bland than the visuals and kind of feels like a bad cover version of GTA crossed with an old PS2 game. To top it off this contains some of the most downright cringy dialogue I've heard of any game, complete with a slew of unnecessary swearing. It was actually embarrassing listening to it. Not my idea of fun at all. 

Same, I blasted around London for an hour and deleted it. Whoever decided that the 2nd thing you do in the Campaign is walk around a server room as a spider needs their head checking. 

30fps and it feels a bit generic open world game, I’m out 

Similar thoughts here too. 

On PC the in game graphics are occasionally very good and the ray tracing on ultra produces some lovely effects, but its all so generic, bland and "open world by the numbers". And the cutscenes.  Ergh.  Why do companies insist on pre rendered movies for cutscenes, with resolution and textures LOWER than the game is running (and Im only at 2K)  It's really jarring.  Make cut scenes "real time in-engine" ones if you have to have them.

I also found the forced London accents toe curling.

• 5 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Also heard there's supposed to be a 60 fps patch coming for Series X and PS5 which should have been day 1 really.

Got a link for that? I'll be honest, I can't see me going back to it unless that happens.

31 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Choosing between performance and fidelity is going to be really tough on this one, the RT does at a lot to a rain-soaked London (if indeed RT is part of the trade-off). I've not played Cyberpunk yet but I assume it's a similar conundrum.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Choosing between performance and fidelity is going to be really tough on this one, the RT does at a lot to a rain-soaked London (if indeed RT is part of the trade-off). I've not played Cyberpunk yet but I assume it's a similar conundrum.

No ray tracing in Cyberpunk yet on consoles. 

The ray tracing is quite cool in watch dogs and one of the few things about the game I liked. I'd probably keep it on for that game, no matter what fps you're at it's a pretty boring game but at least you can coo at the nice reflections. 

• 7 months later...