Watch Dogs Legion - Online Mode 9th March

A dark, post-Brexit London will be the setting for Watch Dogs: Legion, the third game in the open world action franchise. At Ubisoft's E3 keynote, the publisher showed that the latest hacker title will launch March 6th 2020.

The game's most interesting new hook is that there is no central protagonist. The game has you building an underground resistance of hackers, and players will recruit their team from any of the pedestrians strolling around London.

Potential recruits are spotted through a militarized Leicester Square, council housing, Chinatown and Camden Town. Ubisoft's first videos show a London full of organized crime, grotesque surveillance and hackneyed cockney accents in a gritty representation of the UK capital.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

I'm not sure I understand the title of the thread, but Watch Dogs 2 was a genuinely fun videogame (unlike the first), so I'd be interested in WD3.

SW2 is the Brixton postcode, amended thread title now.

I'm hoping they ditch the guns and just focus on the hacking skills.

Got a link @gospvg? Can't see anything on Kotaku. London had already been teased by the ending of WD2 (as you quoted) - I think it's a great location for WD, and can't wait to see where it goes next.

Also keen to see a proper WD / AC crossover, which has also been hinted at!

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

Got a link @gospvg? Can't see anything on Kotaku. London had already been teased by the ending of WD2 (as you quoted) - I think it's a great location for WD, and can't wait to see where it goes next.

Also keen to see a proper WD / AC crossover, which has also been hinted at!

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2019/04/05/odd-tease-in-the-division-2-spills-the-beans-on-the-next-assassins-creed

A new patch for Watch Dogs 2 also dropped a major clue for Watch Dogs 3, telling the world that it would be set in London (which it is).

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

Oh I see. That patch for Watch Dogs 2 is from Feb 2017! So nothing new as of today, though of course I appreciate having a Watch Dogs 3 thread to speculate in.

It's appeared today in a few of my RSS feeds so thought it was leaked today.

I remember the original stories about WD3 being set in London, but that Jason Schreier seems pretty confident in that article that the game will indeed be set there, so presumably he’s heard something else. 

Itd be interesting to see an open world game that’s set in London that doesn’t use the touristy area of central London around the river. If SW2/9 is really part of the leak, it might suggest that the game is focused on a more diverse, esoteric part of London than the usual Oxford Street / Buckingham Palace setting.  Although I’d say east London would be more likely than south. 

1 minute ago, Garibaldi said:

Hopefully they can find a balance between the dour, overly serious air of the first game and the insufferable twats of its sequel. 

That's what put me off I played for a couple of hours & it was all curse, curse, curse, CURSE!

The map for Watch Dogs 2 included San Francisco, plus down to San Mateo, across to Oakland and up to Sausalito (or approximations thereof.) Admittedly, a lot of that was therefore featureless water, but the size of a new one would likely be a big chunk of London.

3 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

the insufferable twats of its sequel. 

I grew to like most of the WD2 crew, from memory. They're not introduced well, but they're not a bad bunch. It's a lot better than just having the clever one, the sexy one, and so on.

Agreed, I liked and got rather far in WD2, but I never finished it as I just found I grew tired of it. The characters were okay, but the story lacked momentum. At least from what I can recall...

The only thing I really disliked in WD2 was the timed hacking mini games. As if some of the puzzles weren't frustrating enough on their own, someone thought it was a good idea to add a time limit on top of it all just to really show us all the love that went into the design of the game. Other than that, the game was quite good. 

I spent 24 hours of play time just messing around in WD2 before really getting into the missions. Really ready for a third, and London should be great. 

I'm no expert, but AC Syndicate's London felt decent, so here's hoping Ubisoft can do that again, in a modern setting. And yes, although I ended up using my silenced guns a bit, mostly because I'm crap at games, I hope they really emphasize the hacking angle.

I barely shot anyone in WD2, and certainly no-one fatally. I did use the taser a reasonable amount, and the yo-yo melee. And then they added a non-lethal long range rifle in a patch, I think?

My main memory of WD2 was enjoying the way you could play a lot of the objectives remotely, using the drone and radio-controlled car, in ways it felt like the designers hadn't quite anticipated. I felt like I was hacking the mission design at times, which felt appropriate. Or like hacking one of those lift-trucks to get on a roof you wouldn't be able to, and do a hack from afar that (again) it felt wasn't intended.

3 hours ago, Uncle Mike said:

I barely shot anyone in WD2, and certainly no-one fatally. I did use the taser a reasonable amount, and the yo-yo melee. And then they added a non-lethal long range rifle in a patch, I think?

I played it exactly the same.  Going all out with guns just didn't feel the right approach considering the character of Marcus and the rest of the crew.

2 hours ago, CrashedAlex said:

I like the WD series. Have really enjoyed it. Switched to PC for "Syndicate" - surely this new game will be using all those assets as a starting point?

I don't think you need to worry, Ubisoft is the undisputed king of masters when it comes to sharing assets (and design, and gameplay mechanics) between their various games :)

As has been said above, what I liked most about WD2 despite the generic Ubisoft sandbox design, was being able to complete missions remotely and non-lethal. That was a unique, fun aspect that I hope they expand upon rather than more of the same with even more icons on a different map. I'm basically hoping for the same jump in quality as between WD1 and 2.

• gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - Online Mode 9th March