Watch Dogs Legion - Don’t let your kids play (see page 16)

This runs really shitty on my RTX 3080. Even when i changed all the settings from ultra down to low it does not make any difference to framerate. I am getting 55 to 60fps at 4k and that is with DLSS on performance.

The cargo drone seems really overpowered. There are tech points hidden over the city, mostly in high up places, and each one is basically a little puzzle to work out when you're on foot. You might use a nearby spider drone to jump from ledge to ledge to get to it or hack a nearby crane, jump on the platform and then use it to reach the top of the building.

Or you could just find a cargo drone, jump on it and fly over the entire city going from rooftop to rooftop picking up the tech points. It is quite cool to fly anywhere you want to in the city on a drone but it completely ruins these little puzzles to the point where I'm forcing myself to complete them properly.

1 hour ago, Sumire said:

This runs really shitty on my RTX 3080. Even when i changed all the settings from ultra down to low it does not make any difference to framerate. I am getting 55 to 60fps at 4k and that is with DLSS on performance.

Yeh, I don't know what's going on. I was getting 120fps yesterday with everything maxed and since the last patch and latest drivers now just hit 55-60 like yourself. This on a 3090.

21 minutes ago, Len said:

Yeh, I don't know what's going on. I was getting 120fps yesterday with everything maxed and since the last patch and latest drivers now just hit 55-60 like yourself. This on a 3090.

Strange. Actually, I was getting 45 to 50fps not 60. Looking on forums it seems pretty common unfortunately. Hopefully it will be sorted, but to be honest, I do not think it is my sort of game anyway.

I'm sure I read somewhere today that they've recognised the framerate issues on RTX cards and a hotfix is incoming tomorrow. May have imagined it though. 

This arrived today and was going to save for Series X but gave it an hour on the One S.

Graphics wise it looks absolutely terrible, horrible character models, pop in, jaggies, frame drops etc. I just witnessed a bin lorry drive past me and the textures didn’t appear for about 10 seconds, the thing had hexagonal wheels, I properly laughed at loud at that. All the cars have a weird shine to them and the handling is shite.

Picked my first character, Kasun, who doesn’t appear to even move his mouth when talking to people and when he does the lip sync is awful. The camera is crap too. And the brawling is very poor.

Played for just over an hour and then had a hard crash and lost 20 mins progress.

It’s like a rushed game from 5-10 years ago. 

Had a great session on this on the Xbox one x. Really lovely looking game in 4k and had a ton of fun with the cargo drone and other gadgets. Was expecting a saturn Daytona usa, after the moaning about the frame rate, but it’s generally fine, with just the odd hiccup. Real OTT characters and voice acting and spent about 20 mins trying on new clothes in Camden.  Spent ages walking around the canal area, soaking up the atmosphere and graphics. Hardly even done a mission yet either. Can’t wait to get back on to night!

7 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Played for just over an hour and then had a hard crash and lost 20 mins progress.

I've done the start of the game three times now due to it either crashing or just not saving progress. I may be missing something but it really doesn't seem to be making it clear when it saves, and even on PC there's no manual save. Is that because I have permadeath on? I'm now anxious every time I quit not knowing how much I will lose.

The new drivers have made it more stable for me but it still doesn't seem like its running that well. The janky running animation doesn't help.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Crowley said:

Just as an aside...gaming on a pc sounds just like the fucking nightmare I remembered it was.:lol:

A large part of it is people trying to run at higher framerates than the console version, and shit optimisation.

1 hour ago, footle said:

A large part of it is people trying to run at higher framerates than the console version, and shit optimisation.

Well yeah, I've been there. There's always that nagging feeling that it should and maybe could run better and you end up with spending most of your time in and out of the options-menu. But I don't want to turn the thread into a consoles vs PC thread. Sorry.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into just spec talk. There's a really decent and clever game here amidst the admitted jank. I think it's just a little over ambitious with the whole play as anyone thing and whatever AI is doing the voices isn't quite up to the task. What is also weird is how this game does hair. WTF is up with that?

I can ignore that though to an extent, because the freedom the game gives is genuinely next gen. Just hacking some random stranger led me to stealing a barge and climbing Big Ben last night. It all feels so anti how Ubi games usually progress. There's nothing on the map but main missions and a few collectibles. All the side stuff seems to be just things you can encounter. It's incredibly impressive imo.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Crowley said:

Well yeah, I've been there. There's always that nagging feeling that it should and maybe could run better and you end up with spending most of your time in and out of the options-menu. But I don't want to turn the thread into a consoles vs PC thread. Sorry.

Heh, I'm an ardent PC gamer, but after 20 minutes fucking about in the settings menus for this and it still doesn't run too great, even I was starting to see the appeal in just getting it for the Xbox!

I'm not sure about my feelings for the game. It's pretty janky and can look terrible at times, but at others it's really fun and can look amazing. The voice acting grates a little.

Also, and I appreciate this is a weird complaint, and really it's more a problem with me and my brain than the game itself, but there are times when it's mostly fictional map of London freaks me out a bit. I live and work in London and having moments like "wait a minute... is that Euston station? Euston station shouldn't be there!" really messes with me for some reason! 

@Gabe I've always felt the Watch Dogs games were quite innovative in how they allow you to complete objectives and that is really ramped up here. For example, and I'll spoiler this because it's an early mission and how you can go about doing it:

Spoiler

there is a mission early on that involves sneaking into Scotland Yard to steal evidence. Now, you could just tool up and shoot your way in, or you could get a cargo drone to take you up to the roof and get in and out again without being seen, or you could use a spider bot to sneak in through the vents and never even enter the building yourself,  or you could explore around until you find a Police person you could potentially recruit and just use them to wander in and take it. Or a Janitor for example. Hitman style.

I got one of my guys arrested, but thanks to having recruited a Barrister by settling her gambling debts, I'm able to get him out of jail.

But really, the innovations are in how the incidental stuff works in the game. There are no sidequests on the map, all these come about through interacting with the world and the people in it, and some seem to be very elaborate and fun. For a Ubi Soft game where previously you would climb a tower and flood the map with an overwhelming amount of stuff, it's pretty refreshing.

Can my team-members still get arrested if I play with permadeath?:huh: So far they’ve all died. Which really sucks when you lose a member plus the woman you’re trying to recruit gets pissed off because you botched it. It’s such a kick in the balls.:D

14 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

@Gabe I've always felt the Watch Dogs games were quite innovative in how they allow you to complete objectives and that is really ramped up here. For example, and I'll spoiler this because it's an early mission and how you can go about doing it:

Hide contents

there is a mission early on that involves sneaking into Scotland Yard. Now, you could just tool up and shoot your way in, or you could get a cargo drone to take you up to the roof and get in and out again without being seen, or you could use a spider bot to sneak in through the vents or you could explore around until you find a Police person you could potentially recruit and just wander in and take it. Or a Janitor for example. Hitman style.

I got one of my guys arrested, but thanks to having recruited a Barrister by settling her gambling debts, I'm able to get him out of jail.

But really, the innovations are in how the incidental stuff works in the game. There are no sidequests on the map, all these come about through interacting with the world and the people in it, and some seem to be very elaborate and fun. For a Ubi Soft game where previously you would climb a tower and flood the map with an overwhelming amount of stuff, it's pretty refreshing.

Thanks, that does sound interesting.

Some of it is good and other parts of it are quite disappointing. From an architectural standpoint the recreation of London is impressive, if sometimes geographically confusing if you're familiar with the city in certain areas. But the NPCs that inhabit the city are boring (note this is different to the whole recruitment side of things). They barely do anything. It feels less convincing than 12 year old GTA 4 did but I also recall the original Watch Dogs doing NPC behaviours and interactions better than this. Basically, for as much as it is architecturally there, the lack of interesting NPC behaviours means the different places don't really have a distinct feel to them. 

There's also a real lack of interiors. I think mainly pubs and certain mission areas. There's loads of clothing shops but you can't go inside, you just stand outside and change clothes on the street. You see NPCs go in and out of doors on the street but take a closer look and they're just entering/leaving a black void. It still feels rushed despite the delays. I can't think of another open-world game in recent memory where you can't even enter the clothing shops.

But then there are other moments where it hits the spot. Picadilly Circus at night looks great. There are genuinely multiple ways you can approach nearly any mission. Last night I was tasked with taking out a certain gang member in order to recruit a construction worker to my team. I drove to the estate in Stockwell where he was holed up so I stood outside and tried to infiltrate with a spider bot. It got detected by a turret and shot at. The shooting attracted a nearby Albion officer who ran to the scene and got involved in a shootout with the gang. More Albion officers followed and nearly all got mowed down but one of them shot the gang member I needed to eliminate. Boom, mission completed. If this was a Rockstar game they'd probably fail the mission or force you into a scripted set-piece where you had to pull the trigger or some other means of forcing you to play their way. Here I could just sit back and watch this play out and I appreciate that.

My initial gut feeling is that this far from going down as a classic but there's definitely fun to be had in checking out the city, approaching the missions in different ways and the emergent gameplay. Just have to get past the jank and the general feeling that this still doesn't match open world games more than a decade old in certain areas.

The condensed approximation of London does mess with my head a bit, but when I first spawned I was able to get my bearings immediately in relation to the BT tower, so it’s faithful enough. 

One thing to note, it’s going to really irritate the ‘HDR shadows should be black’ crowd. Even for my tastes they seem to be quite high, with no way of lowering them in any of the calibration options. That goes for the menus as well, everything’s grey rather than black. That’s presuming it wasn’t a bug, Xbox version.

14 hours ago, Majora said:

The cargo drone seems really overpowered. There are tech points hidden over the city, mostly in high up places, and each one is basically a little puzzle to work out when you're on foot. You might use a nearby spider drone to jump from ledge to ledge to get to it or hack a nearby crane, jump on the platform and then use it to reach the top of the building.

Or you could just find a cargo drone, jump on it and fly over the entire city going from rooftop to rooftop picking up the tech points. It is quite cool to fly anywhere you want to in the city on a drone but it completely ruins these little puzzles to the point where I'm forcing myself to complete them properly.

Oh, I quite like things like this - essentially breaking the game. 

Leave it up to the choice of the player how they want to complete the game.  I hate open world games which give you complete freedom only to them take away your previous freedom when the game wants you to give you a specific mission. 

2 hours ago, McCoy said:

Oh, I quite like things like this - essentially breaking the game. 

Leave it up to the choice of the player how they want to complete the game.  I hate open world games which give you complete freedom only to them take away your previous freedom when the game wants you to give you a specific mission. 

I feel like in this case it's less thinking outside the box and more just circumventing it though. Freedom is good but in this case it's really just the freedom to skip a load of environmental puzzles with no effort. And cargo drones are easy to acquire so it's not like skipping the puzzles is a reward for achieving something difficult. I'd rather get the satisfaction of doing the puzzles myself.

Whilst it is a bit janky I'm really enjoying the sheer number of ways open to you in approaching tasks. Plus it has that pure Clint Hocking Far Cry 2 gameplay loop of:

1. Survey an area

2. Meticulously plan your approach.

3. Being implementing plan.

4. Watch plan go south.

5. Invent new manic plan on the fly.

6. Watch that plan go south.

7. Fuck all planning and start punching/shooting/rocket launching your way to victory/escape.

It's by no means a masterpiece but as a sandbox for mayhem is surprisingly deep.

5 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

How far are you into the game? There are lots of mission icons all over the map- the disruption propaganda ones, the rescue freedom fighter ones, the fight club ones?

• gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - Don’t let your kids play (see page 16)