Watch Dogs Legion - 29 October 2020

Watch Dogs 2 is brilliant fun in both lethal and non-lethal modes. Ideally you’d have two characters to switch between so you could indulge both play styles without the associated dissonance. 

4 hours ago, Pob said:

Watch Dogs 2 is brilliant fun in both lethal and non-lethal modes. Ideally you’d have two characters to switch between so you could indulge both play styles without the associated dissonance. 

That's actually an excellent idea. I kinda did something similar with Syndicate- Evie never came out of stealth, it was all silence and knives. If I needed to talk Jacob, I never even bothered and just went in guns blazing.

Maybe I'm being optimistic here but if it is set in London then the lack of firearms would tie in nicely to a more focused non-lethal approach. It would be so refreshing to play a lavish open world game where the main interaction doesn't involve combat at all.

I actually bounced off WD2 because whilst I appreciated a lot of what it was doing, it felt even more jarring when you were forced to shoot and/or strangle your way out of a situation than it did in the first game. At least it semi-made sense with Aidan because he was a hypocritical criminal arsehole, intentionally or not.

I'm not sure its fair to call it non-lethal but hacking a gang members phone, so another gang sends a hit squad after him then hacking his mate stood next to him and framing him with the police was amazing on WD2. Watching the resulting chaos on your drone as the two gangs and the police go to war was hilarious. More of that please.

8 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Maybe I'm being optimistic here but if it is set in London then the lack of firearms would tie in nicely to a more focused non-lethal approach. It would be so refreshing to play a lavish open world game where the main interaction doesn't involve combat at all.

Plenty of knives though :/

I can see how it would be fun in the abstract and would totally work in the setting, but given the current epidemic of gun and knife crime in London, I wonder if a game that let you facilitate and participate in that would be in bad taste. I assume that San Francisco has a gang problem as well, so maybe it’s just the fact that London is closer to home, but if you can hack phones to get gangs in London to start killing each other, then that’s going to be a pretty raw subject for a lot of people, given that it will essentially be cultural tourism. 

That's what I was saying, really. I can see it landing really badly in the UK if that's what the game involves. I don't know whether there was any pushback from people in San Francisco when WD2 came out, but I can see there being lots of criticism in the UK. Would be interesting to know whether the UK has a lower threshold for that sort of thing - Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3 got slated in some parts of the media because one level was set in Manchester cathedral.

26 minutes ago, K said:

That's what I was saying, really. I can see it landing really badly in the UK if that's what the game involves. I don't know whether there was any pushback from people in San Francisco when WD2 came out, but I can see there being lots of criticism in the UK. Would be interesting to know whether the UK has a lower threshold for that sort of thing - Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3 got slated in some parts of the media because one level was set in Manchester cathedral.

I had that conflated with (the Sikhs in Hitman 2, and) the BT Van in The Getaway, for some reason.

• 1 month later...

Confirmed set in London. More info at E3 & I expect a release this year.

From Kotaku

Watch Dogs Legion is set in London, as we confirmed a while ago, and here’s the really interesting gimmick: You can play as any NPC you recruit in the game. From the product description:

Play as anyone, Every individual you meet in the open world, has a full set of animations, voice over, character traits and visuals that are generated & guided by gameplay systems

On 10/04/2019 at 12:32, K said:

That was Liverpool cathedral wasn't it?

So the last open world title set in modern London was the Getaway series was it? (never played them, were they truly open world in the GTA sense?)

Either way I welcome a change from the usual North American city. Part of the reason I loved FH4 so much more than others in the Horizon series.

I love the idea of a Watchdogs game set in London, but at the same time, I play games to get away from stress and the real world. Not sure I really want to play post-Brexit dystopia: the game. That said, I may not be able to afford it by then, thus solving the problem.

Exactly why I posted that - while it's without a doubt a fascinating setting (I'm kinda tired of USA settings after three decades of mostly USA settings in games), but how much fun is this idea for people living in the UK and actually dealing with that horrible mess right now? I'm just an outsider looking in (and you all have my sympathies and I hope it turns out well after all) but I can imagine it's way too close and too soon for something that's supposed to be escapist entertainment.

And how would Ubisoft spin this into saying that the game "isn't political at all, honest?" (See Far Cry 5)

Assuming that Amazon listing is correct of course.

It'll be like the start of Children Of Men.

That gimmick of being able to play as any NPC recruit sounds really interesting. I've always liked the idea of playing as an expendable army, one recruit at a time. If you get them killed, they're gone. If they get hospitalised, they're on the bench for a while. If they get arrested, maybe you could spring them from jail? If you keep them alive, they level up.

It could be used as a really neat way around the logical problem in open-world urban games where you cause chaos that should make you Public Enemy no. 1, yet are still somehow able to roam the streets. If every recruit has their own wanted level, meaning they can get loads of heat and have to lie low while you switch to a more annonymous operator, that could be a really awesome gameplay system.

On 09/04/2019 at 16:07, Pob said:

Sorry for quoting myself, but this ‘any NPC’ rumour would also totally solve the above. WD works equally well as an open world shooter and a non-lethal hacking puzzle game. Being able to play as any NPC recruit would let you explore all the different gameplay options without it seeing weird. Having happy-go-lucky cutscene Marcus brutally gun down cops made no sense.

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

So the last open world title set in modern London was the Getaway series was it?

Assassin's Creed Syndicate, I guess. I'm sure Ubisoft will be looking into how many assets they can re-use from that somehow.

I was genuinely enjoying WD1 until I got to this poxy "stealth driving" mission that I couldn't get past. I'd rinsed all the side quests by then. It's one of the few games where I actually enjoyed the on-foot stealth. If you got spotted it gave you enough slack to either get away or fight. Found myself actually enjoying those missions where you had to hack the signal towers. Might see if I can get these on PC and cheat past it. Oh god, that means I have to install Uplay, doesn't it?

• gospvg changed the title to Watch Dogs Legion - 29 October 2020