rllmuk
Dudley

Yesterzine - The literal magazine show

I’m never a huge fan of spamming the twitters but that might be a good answer between seasons to mop up the people who missed it during.

I probably should get over that and “play the game of course”

You may be able to detect I’m entirely with you on the master system, a lot of the later roms were dumped from my cartridges in the late 90s, so there’s a very reasonable chance you’ve played the “same” copy of Spinball as briefly featured in the episode.

Ta :)

Thinking about it, nothing in the Amiga version was (Possibly ever) on Consoles.  Except possibly the recent D/Generation remake and I barely mentioned that game.

To be fair, I doubt many of the Amiga owners played Spoils of War at the time either. Lucky bastards.  No-one's managed to make sense of that in the 2 weeks since that episode by the way.

It's Episode 4 time!  And we're going PC so there's no "Your Mum" joke.

Just kidding, of course there's one.  And the worst "Ian" reference to date.

The PC means the first ever episode of PC Gamer.

The Gaming Heaven is Indycar Racing, the true birthplace of proper texture mapped worlds in sims.

The Gaming Hell is puzzle "Sensation" Tessarae... or is it Speed Racer?

The Cover feature is, once again, literally the cover disks and the best adventure never to come out of Sierra or LucasARTS.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

It's Episode 4 time!  And we're going PC so there's no "Your Mum" joke.

Just kidding, of course there's one.  And the worst "Ian" reference to date.

The PC means the first ever episode of PC Gamer.

The Gaming Heaven is Indycar Racing, the true birthplace of proper texture mapped worlds in sims.

The Gaming Hell is puzzle "Sensation" Tessarae... or is it Speed Racer?

The Cover feature is, once again, literally the cover disks and the best adventure never to come out of Sierra or LucasARTS.

Excellent. Been looking forward to this. 

• Upvote 1

I'm just recording the first parts of a special on Rise of the Robots.  It's going to be bloody superb, although probably no huge surprises for people who post here.  Because if you know the story you'll know it's managed the probably unique honour of being both the highest and lowest scorer in issues of Amiga magazines.

• Upvote 1

One thing I've meant to bring up, is there a reason you've put these up on your personal YouTube rather than making one specificaly for Yesterzine?

I'm not intending to make it any sort of career.  Most people seem to do that though.  Larry Bundy doesn't have a "Fact Hunt" channel, he's got a "Larry Bundy" channel etc. It also leaves me free to do some other series.

I could of course always rebrand this one.

But the honest answer is probably I didn't really think about it.

Do it for the love of it. 

I was actually ally trying to find you a copy of that magazine in question because I enjoy this so much...

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dudley said:

I'm not intending to make it any sort of career.  Most people seem to do that though.  Larry Bundy doesn't have a "Fact Hunt" channel, he's got a "Larry Bundy" channel etc. It also leaves me free to do some other series.

I could of course always rebrand this one.

But the honest answer is probably I didn't really think about it.

I thought that might be the reason. Wasn't suggesting you turn it into a business and as Drop said, do it for the love of it, was just thinking it would be easier for people to stumble across it if it was all in a note themed channel or cross posted onto a WordPress blog or something.

2 minutes ago, Droo said:

Do it for the love of it. 

I was actually ally trying to find you a copy of that magazine in question because I enjoy this so much...

• Upvote 1

It is essentially cross-posted into a blog, that's all the website is :)

Thanks for the help Droo, it seems to be completely absent from the internet.  I can get on without it of course, there's plenty more somehow positive reviews of Rise of the Robots after all, it's just AA is the one where it was the genuine top scorer of the issue.  Plus I can put AP against AA which is always fun.

The Rise one is becoming goddamn fascinating in many ways, I had forgotten just how shoddy it was, just how expensive it somehow was and just how suspicious some of the reviews are.

The fact they appear to have paid Brian May to make a soundtrack they then never used is hilarious.

Oh incidentally while we're here the next episode (tonight) is a ZX Spectrum one, specifically early era Your Sinclair.

I think I lost my actual goddamn mind playing the gaming hell, even compared to the start of that section when I end up having a fairly involved conversation with the menu screen.

It's Friday and that can mean only one thing!

Fish and Chips in the cafe at work!

<Frantic whispering from offstage>

Oh and Yesterzine!

Episode 5 is Your Sinclair January 1987, right in the Dennis publishing golden era of the magazine.

The gaming heaven is Ocean's classic film licence The Great Escape but it's one of 7 games that got 9/10.

The cover feature is my attempt to explain to the young 'uns what loading games from tape is like

And then we get conclusive proof that war is hell with Gallipoli.

As a special bonus, without looking it up, guess which game was worked on by a forum member!

• Upvote 3

Just watched the first one and really enjoyed it cheers, looking forward to going through the others.

Is Arcade magazine on your list to do? 

• Upvote 1

"A List" aggrandises any plans I have for after season 1 and 3 mini specials but there's no reason it wouldn't be.

A quick check of the stash reveals I have 2-8 scanned and I'm pretty certain I've got issue 1, a quick glance at issue 2 reveals the only issue might be that because they mark out of 5 there's going to be more than 1 top and bottom game.  A solveable problem.

I'll look through them and see if there's a good pair for season 2 thanks :)

Is it wrong that the most fun part of this is episode titles?

Tomorrow is the main season 1 finale "X Hyphen Treme"

And then

image.png.549af73185ffa1df7018789b131b7d98.png

S1 is the Rise of the Robots one I've mentioned on here. The only other one directly about a game is the 2nd one and if you're a Simpsons fan you might be able to figure out which.

EDIT : And now I notice 2 are in the wrong order and one is 1000 years old....

• Upvote 2

It's the first season finale and it's asking the big questions. In September 1996, Mario 64, Quake and Nights were the "3 greatest games ever" but is one of them still that good?

Elsewhere, why is a generic cartoony Mario Kart clone one of the single most important games of all time and what makes Sonic Wings Special?

It also features not 1, not 3 but 2 special guests!
  • Upvote 2

That's my favourite era of CVG, although my season 2 spreadsheet involves me going back several years further with it.

Just realised no-one guessed for episode 5.

If my info is correct @Ste Pickford worked on 180 for the Spectrum.

And just to make it worth your visit Ste, I pimp Plok for you in episode 6.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Dudley said:

That's my favourite era of CVG, although my season 2 spreadsheet involves me going back several years further with it.

I think my first issue was a TOCA 2 one

I don't know how long Paul and co hung around to be honest, but certainly it was he at the helm during 1996 as well yes.

14 hours ago, Dudley said:

Just realised no-one guessed for episode 5.

If my info is correct @Ste Pickford worked on 180 for the Spectrum.

And just to make it worth your visit Ste, I pimp Plok for you in episode 6.

I started the graphics for 180 on the Spectrum on my very first day of work, aged 16. 

It was a #1 smash hit.  It's been downhill ever since.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

I don't know how long Paul and co hung around to be honest, but certainly it was he at the helm during 1996 as well yes.

I think it was until the mag was sold and they did a massive redesign, certainly the years I was reading it was Paul Davies, Alex Huhtala, Steve Key and Ed Lomas