rllmuk
Dudley

Yesterzine - The literal magazine show

I enjoyed that. The Amiga and the whole home computer scene pretty much passed me by. A couple of friends had them but their collections were predominantly Ocean software compilations or bootlegs of stuff like Sonic.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

What did you have? I suspect a future season 1 episode has you covered.

Also ta :)

In 92? My (much older) brothers NES and my (even older) cousins Atari 2600 "Junior"

Without ruining everything, the magazines on the banner are season 1, so we're looking SNES, Mega Drive, PC, Spectrum and then a CVG from the early PS1 era.

2 hours ago, strider said:

That's a really cool idea!

Much appreciated :)  It's worked out well, while episode 1 is fairly straight "good game good, bad game bad" that's really not the case all of the time, even in this series.

And sometimes people don't predict which games will be famous.  There's a game in episode 3 buried deep in the issue with a good but not great review that went on to become one of the top 5 selling games on its host machine for example.

Incidentally while I've got no particular designs on "going viral" and literally no ambition to make this a career endeavor, any retweets et al and always appreciated.

Episode 2 is live featuring everything you see in the thumbnail and the debut of Ian Voiceover-Guy.

Super Play claimed Street Racer was the equal of Mario Kart, we test that claim by reacquainting ourselves with the legend.

The Cover feature concerns Secret of Mana, a year old game making the UK for the first time and I explain what life was like when we got a game a year after Japan, if we were lucky.

Gaming hell is the Death and Return of Superman, but was that harsh on it and is there another contender?

• Upvote 4

Not, I presume, for Super Godzilla? :)

One thing I only discovered recently is you can get Olaf from the Lost Vikings in Rock and Roll Racing with a cheat code :)

• Upvote 1

Watched and enjoyed both, looking forward to the next one. 

Super Godzilla looks bloody awful. Also the first time I've seen Monkey Island 2 on normal (hard?) mode.

• Upvote 1

I think hard mode is supposed to be normal mode, it certainly feels they started there and cut it down rather than the other way around.

Super Godzilla is indeed irredeemable. What I don't think you'd get from the episode is just how slow and annoyingly unresponsive those town sections are.  And, given the fights are one round affairs, that's where you're going to spend the most time.

If she knows her Amiga she may well have done.  It's a song called 12th Warrior by Bjorn Lynne, originally for the Amiga demo group "Crusaders".

I plan to do a mini ep at some point but you'll know Bjorn from his decade working for Team 17, mostly on Worms.

Commercially? Well anyone can licence it the way I did so it could in theory have cropped up anywhere.  The only commercial release I know of is a remastered version on Bjorn's own album "Revive".

https://www.lynnemusic.com/revive.html

Incidentally, anyone got a good back page ad possibility for episode 6.  I'd have considered Antstream but their kickstarter is over by the time Ep6 emerges.

Any good project worth pimping to several tens of people?

Or I'll just pimp Plok the comic. :)

I also enjoyed this having watched the first one last night and wanted you to know.

Funnily enough I was thinking I should play Monkey Island 2 again. I've never finished it and when I tried (when it came out on 360) I had no adventure game experience whereas since then I've completed and thoroughly enjoyed Grim, Full Throttle, Thimbleweed Park and Broken Age. The time is right.

• Upvote 1

Then you should go back, and you should probably do it with the pretty remake.

Which does have the effect of proving the game behind it really hasn't aged.

Thanks for the comments on episode 1, because looking back at it I feel it's a bit weak and I find my voice later on. Or maybe that just means the Your Mum joke I've successfully sneaked into all 6 episodes becomes more obvious.

It's Episode 3!

And given it was Nintendo last week, it's Sega this, and a veritable bounty of games.  The new Mega Drive Sonic game barely scratches into the other mentions.

Fifa is the highest scoring game, but is it even the best football game in the issue?

Why is the 3rd best selling Mega Drive game of all time absolutely nowhere

The Cover feature is the Master System's indian summer of superb titles late in its life.

And the Gaming Hell is the forgotten Game Gear version of Jurassic Park, which shares nothing with the Mega Drive title.

Plus a special guest! Who none of you know! But she's lovely I promise!

• Upvote 5

54 minutes ago, Droo said:

(My only criticism is that you didn’t cover dune on the mega cd...). 

I know, but it's already 5 minutes longer than most episodes and 11 longer than the first one.

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a bit of a mop up post season on other things that should have been covered, that would very be one of them. Everyone forgets it because of Dune 2.

There's a similar problem in episode 6, the CVG with the cover proclaiming "The 3 greatest games ever". Between that and a really quite interesting story behind another game in the issue I had to ditch so much else from it, most notably, Die Hard Trilogy.

Also thanks! This really is a "To see if I can" thing. It's about this episode it hits more what I actually wanted from it stylistically. :)

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

I know, but it's already 5 minutes longer than most episodes and 11 longer than the first one.

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a bit of a mop up post season on other things that should have been covered, that would very be one of them. Everyone forgets it because of Dune 2.

There's a similar problem in episode 6, the CVG with the cover proclaiming "The 3 greatest games ever". Between that and a really quite interesting story behind another game in the issue I had to ditch so much else from it, most notably, Die Hard Trilogy.

Also thanks! This really is a "To see if I can" thing. It's about this episode it hits more what I actually wanted from it stylistically. :)

You should feel proud. It’s really interesting and very well produced. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Don't worry about length, just go for it.

• Upvote 1

Just catching up with episode 2 and I'm pleased to see Street Racer getting a fair crack rather than the kicking I'd expected because I'm the guy who loves it and would choose to play it over Mario Kart. Then again, I think Doom on the SNES is perfectly playable too so there are definitely questions over what my exposure to these games in my formative years has done. 

Watched this yesterday (and shared on Twitter with a bunch of tags to try and get you more exposure), enjoyed this one the most, primarily because of the master system stuff, what an amazing little machine!

Might be worth posting the link on twitter multiple times to take advantage of the "themed days" the retro communities on there do. Like yesterday was #SegaSaturday Monday is #MegaDriveMonday and so on

• Upvote 1