Yesterzine - The literal magazine show : Episode 35 - "Turn Maths into Gameplay"

Dudley

Yeah, it's almost a game before its time in the worst way.  And yet it's also not actually *bad*.

If you had any love for Cool Boarders 1/2 or the time trial aspects of something like SSX, you should absolutely give Snow Surfers a go though :)

I also recall that N64 magazine gave it 97 percent or something . I think.

Shame I missed out on snow surfers back in the day. Likely due to a bad review. Had cool boarders for a while on a borrowed PS1. Loved it at the time due to it being the closest thing to a skateboarding game available to me. I've heard good things about steep slope sliders but I think that's Saturn only.

• 4 weeks later...

CDs! The new thing! Unimaginable amounts of storage for your magazine cover disk which... we then realised we had no idea how to fill.  PC Format launched their cover CD in mid-1994, see how they put enough on it to justify the extra quid on the cover price. While we do that, enjoy a strategy gaming heaven whose demo fitted on 1/3rd of a floppy disk and a point and click gaming hell that serves as an instructional video in the worst possible way.

• 1 month later...

Christmas 1988, the Spectrum at the height of its powers.  But Sinclair under Amstrad is still Sinclair and the gun is pointed firmly at the foot.  The Gaming Heaven is the final game of a legendary trilogy with a lot to live up to. The gaming hell is a forgotten twin stick shooter without the twin stick. Elsewhere the 3rd most famous Pepsi themed game turns licencing on its head.

• 4 weeks later...

The third famous Amiga games magazine had its critics, most notably the other 2 Amiga games magazines but was it really so bad? In its defence an interactive game about movies, an interactive movie that may or may not be a game and a football game that may or may not be interactive or even in fact exist at all.

• 4 weeks later...

The era of official magazines is over, but how did it begin? And what connects the very first with the very last?  We open a copy of the excellently named Nintendo Magazine System and discover a gaming heaven that's one of Nintendo's standouts, a gaming hell that no-one wanted and Nintendo's vision of the next generation, at least in 1994.

Ah yes - be forewarned, if you’ve not fought Bobo the bird yet then… well, that’s a nasty one too :lol:

Even for the time, that first boss is a particularly nasty piece of design. Given how comparatively easy Six Gold Coins was (mostly) the whole first section of Wario Land was a pretty massive shock to the system!

• 2 weeks later...

My unmeasured cat viewership is pretty huge.  It's a scandal I don't get the metrics.

EDIT : Also if you're catching up, that next episode is the dumbest thing I ever have or will put together and I have a lot of very understanding idiots as friends.

Now this sounds like the kind of video I’m going to enjoy!

*considers the possibility that said video might contain a 15-minute segue on the competitive history of the Osella FA1D*

• 4 weeks later...

1994, the Mega Drive's final stab at glory.  The vanguard comes in the form of a legendary RPG series and a game licenced from an equally legendary racing driver.  Elsewhere, Mean Machines previews a game that doesn't exist.

On 30/07/2021 at 17:00, Dudley said:

1994, the Mega Drive's final stab at glory.  The vanguard comes in the form of a legendary RPG series and a game licenced from an equally legendary racing driver.  Elsewhere, Mean Machines previews a game that doesn't exist.

Another great episode, listened on Saturday. Keep them coming please :)

Much appreciated, is at least the plan.

Another mid-month special already uploaded too, involving Sonic the Hedgehog and 4 individual pieces of hardware in order to, essentially, talk about one game.

I'm an idiot.

14 hours ago, Dudley said:

Much appreciated, is at least the plan.

Another mid-month special already uploaded too, involving Sonic the Hedgehog and 4 individual pieces of hardware in order to, essentially, talk about one game.

I'm an idiot.

Link for mid month thing?

• 3 weeks later...

The 8-Bit market stands on the precipice and Dizzy, perhaps it's most loved character takes centre stage.  As we look at his lesser known life the gaming heaven is more of a Dizzy game than any of our Dizzy games.  The gaming hell is a cartoon platformer that brings a licence to a game fight and elsewhere Yesterzine calls in its foremost gaming expert, a 1 year old child.

• 4 weeks later...

Ace was a magazine that marked high, out of 1000 in fact, resulting in our 2 main games being technically the 2 highest scorers of the entire series.  The first, a strategy classic more than showing its age visually and the 2nd a game I've never heard of but given my history really, really should have.

Elsewhere what happens when a small British joystick company tries to take on Sega and Nintendo?  Disaster is what but the ramifications of the project ended up changing gaming forever. Twice.

• Dudley changed the title to Yesterzine - The literal magazine show : Episode 33 - "50ft Monster"
  • 3 weeks later...

It's 18 months since Mario 64 and the troops are getting restless.  Enter Rare with a platformer for the ages but does it still stand alongside the great?  If not Rare have several other games for you, one of which you'll recognise... you think.  And the N64 tries to dig itself out of its post release hole with a blockbuster arcade conversion but is it a case of a day late and a building short?

• Dudley changed the title to Yesterzine - The literal magazine show : Episode 34 - "Toddler Looking for Attention"
On 29/10/2021 at 17:14, Dudley said:

It's 18 months since Mario 64 and the troops are getting restless.  Enter Rare with a platformer for the ages but does it still stand alongside the great?  If not Rare have several other games for you, one of which you'll recognise... you think.  And the N64 tries to dig itself out of its post release hole with a blockbuster arcade conversion but is it a case of a day late and a building short?

Think that was best episode so far, maybe because I really liked the N64 at the time. Good points about about conker, I tried to play on an everdrive a few years ago, it just wasn't any fun. Tried banjo as well, I owned it back in the day and sold it on, it's just not as much fun to control as mario. The platforming can feel really unresponsive and imprecise. Dunno if the 360 port was better. Though to be fair I thought mario 64 wasnt anywhere near as good as mario world. 

Aww thanks :)

The episode is already too long but I did try the 360 port, it's basically the same but the controls are marginally better on a 360 pad.  Or to put it another way, marginally more effort than Nintendo just expanded on reissuing the game.

• 3 weeks later...

It's 1992 and for the first time a magazine is watching a generation end without a replacement it can cover.  Your Sinclair fears for its future in a fast moving world and reacts with the magazine equivalent of buying a red sports car and some ill-advised hairplugs.

Sandwiching that there's a cartoon licence, because this is still an 8-bit computer and a smart looking horizontally scrolling shooter published by but not starring a Zeppelin.

• Dudley changed the title to Yesterzine - The literal magazine show : Episode 35 - "Turn Maths into Gameplay"