R-Type Final 2

TheShend

Waiting on my Switch code which is irritating. It sort of feels like I'm being punished for kickstarting it; if I hadn't, I would have bought and played it by now! 

Realise this isn't a new thing for crowd sourced stuff but it doesn't make it any less annoying. I'm also a very impatient man so waiting a day or so feels like aaaaaaaages. 

Eurogamer review:

It makes for a sequel that sits neatly alongside its predecessor, and one that's infused with just enough spirit of its own to justify its existence. R-Type Final was a sorrowful thing, its melancholy often becoming morose in its more ponderous moments. R-Type Final 2 feels like more of a cheerful commemoration, a spirited thing that sprints through the series' history in wide-eyed wonder at it all. It's another way to say goodbye, or maybe it's more of a warm welcome back into the fold. Either way, and for the occasional rough edges here, against the odds Kujo and his team have created an R-Type that does the series' name proud - and that's something worth celebrating.

>>  https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-29-r-type-final-2-review-a-scruffy-celebration-of-a-genre-great

Cacky likes the demo:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2021/04/03/there-is-now-a-demo-out-for-r-type-final-2-and-its-great/

I think it's safe to say Final 2 is more than a decent addition to the lineage of fine arcade shoot'em-ups that started over 3 decades ago.

9 hours ago, BubbleFish said:

Playing on the XBSX. Christ I'm crap at this now.

I've been playing this game in its various forms for the past 20 years and my reflexes have finally given up but the odd thing is that it's the slowness that seems to be tripping me up.

Which? The slowness of the ship? There's a speed control for it, you realise... 

So I backed a physical version and have no idea when that'll rock up - space year 2022 perhaps - but I always intended to buy this day 1 on Steam. 

Initial impressions: looks great, supports 4K, no ultra wide-screen support as expected but has high framerate support (I'm on 144fps to match my refresh rate, but it goes higher). 

Only drawback so far is, it noticeably hitches when loading sections of the level in. Not a problem so far, but a little ugly and might fuck you up on tough, packed levels where twitch reactions are more of a thing. 

Excellent game so far though. 

8 hours ago, Treble said:

Which? The slowness of the ship? There's a speed control for it, you realise... 

Like in Final it's tough to figure out which parts require speed 2 and which 3. Combined with the unfamiliarity of the levels means i'm dying a lot (like i should). 

While it's good to be back in the Bydoverse it's obvious they made a lot of effort to attract players who wanted something different to the og Final as the early stages are a lot shorter, more colourful and generally more vibrant. The music is also more traditional and upbeat. Not complaining but silently hoping there's a proper Final-like level hiding and waiting for me to unlock. First gotta try to get past stage 4 though... 

Random tidbits:

Really like how you can see each stage's production team in the time attack/stage select screen. 

So far the rank system seems pretty eager to do it's thing, wouldn't mind if it took it a bit slower.

That DLC trailer shows the real Battleship i take it? Peaking through my hands covering my eyes it looked absolutely epic, can't wait to get there. 

R-Typer has three difficulty settings... really? :lol:

You can hug it when crying at night over all the money spent.

Joking aside, I'm pretty chuffed I went for the limited 'inaugural flight' edition. Looks like a great R-Type title, and I'm thrilled we're still getting games like this. GnG Resurrection being another successful follow-up to a long forgotten series.

17 hours ago, Death Adder said:

I've got so much buyer's remorse over the collector's edition of this that is apparently arriving tomorrow.

It includes a fucking cushion for fucks sake.

It has arrived.

And it's absolutely rubbish.  Very flat.  I think a fat bloke must have sat on it on its way here.

Also included was a dog tag, the game, what looks like a plastic photo frame and a "soundbox" which I assume is CDs of R-Type music from various games.  I haven't opened it yet, but it mentions loads of games on the box, and it's quite substantial.

There's also a tea cup.

Worst of all, it doesn't come in an R-Type box.  It's all separate.

On 29/04/2021 at 09:16, ImmaculateClump said:

Can I recommend Natsuki Chronicles in this thread?
I think anyone who likes R-Type will absolutely love this game.
My game of the year so far.

Well I'm certainly glad that you did as it's a game that I saw you mention (well, I'm pretty sure it was you) a while ago that I liked the look / sound of but just yesterday when I decided to get some bank holiday shooter action I couldn't remember the name of it so came on here to check out peoples thoughts on R Type.

Peoples thoughts / reviews seem positive enough for me to be happy to go for it but I'm now kind of sat on the fence between it and N.C. Is N.C quite accessible / easy enough to get into? I only ask as so many shooters that I read up on these days seem to have a great deal spoken of them re chain this, skim / dodge that etc. Quite happy to get into that once I've sussed the basic mechanics of a game but really want something that's going to be a blast (fun wise) from the off.

Oh and leaderboards. Do they both have them on Xbox (preferably with friends, it really cheesed me off that M2 didn't pop that in on BG) as I love to go up against peoples scores to see how I'm progressing / have something to aim for :)

Might give this a go on switch. 

Love Super R-Type and Delta, the rest being kinda boring, Final being the worst of the lot while Delta is genuinely on the best shooters around. 

I loaded the video expecting it to look shit but it seems aright and more Delta than Final.

Well managed to pick this up today - along with a few other shooters.

Had a quick blast on it and it looks great although finding the time to get back into the action when you die a bit tedious. Why does it have to do the screen fade etc every time you die!!!! 

Also if anyone is looking for this cheaper and are prepared to dance around using VPNs etc the base version can be bought from the Brazilian Xbox store for ~£14.

3 hours ago, MattyP said:

Well managed to pick this up today - along with a few other shooters.

Had a quick blast on it and it looks great although finding the time to get back into the action when you die a bit tedious. Why does it have to do the screen fade etc every time you die!!!! 

Also if anyone is looking for this cheaper and are prepared to dance around using VPNs etc the base version can be bought from the Brazilian Xbox store for ~£14.

I also don't really like how it freezes on death. Genuinely thought it was a bug at first but I think it's deliberate, it kind of freezes for a few seconds, then fades.

I'd prefer an explosion of some sort.

While it definitely slows things down, the freeze serves a functional purpose - it gives you a second to take in what has caught you off guard. (I do think it was handled better in Under Defeat, though, where the action pauses for a split second and then resumes the death animation at normal speed.)

I've been enjoying Final 2 quite a lot so far. It's still very much a "console" shmup, but the stage designs are definitely more dynamic and interesting than Final's for the most part. There's much less contemplative downtime in the stages, which is good, because I don't think this game would have gotten away with it given that it doesn't occupy the same "funeral procession for a dying series/genre" space that Final did, or thought it did. That said, it's still a very sedate and languid game compared to any other shmup you're likely to play this year, and for that reason it probably isn't going to win over anyone who wasn't already convinced...

1 hour ago, Alshie said:

I also don't really like how it freezes on death. Genuinely thought it was a bug at first but I think it's deliberate, it kind of freezes for a few seconds, then fades.

I'd prefer an explosion of some sort.

Indeed! I've been playing the original R-Type a bit today too (via R-Type Dimensions Ex) and some things don't need tweaking. Simple explosion would have done the trick. Perhaps there was a technical reason for it but think it's just bad design.

I like the idea of the freeze to show what you got hit by, but it's not always clear so it feels like it's rubbing it in sometimes!

The Leo2 is currently my favourite ship by a long way at the moment. It feels too strong, which I think has a lot to do with it.

1 hour ago, Jonster said:

like the idea of the freeze to show what you got hit by, but it's not always clear so it feels like it's rubbing it in sometimes!

The freeze of shame :lol:

”wait, what the fuck hit m- oh…”

The final level (s) are fucking tedious. Insta-deaths from bits of scenery, after an entire game of scenery-isn’t-fatal.   Background effects suddenly gaining hit boxes with no warning… Bit annoying.

That aside, I’ve really enjoyed it, especially unlocking some of the later ships.  I’m fairly close to getting a 1CC on Kids difficulty, then giving Normal a whirl.   

Also, the ship decal designer is a brilliant addition but severely lacking in enough tools to do it justice.  Hopefully a patch can sort it out

Bought this on Switch and after the PS4 demo it really is quite a significant downgrade, visually and frame rate wise.

If you have both options available, unless handheld play is your main focus of course, definitely go with PS4. 

On 01/05/2021 at 05:35, Keyboard Koala said:

Cacky likes the demo:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2021/04/03/there-is-now-a-demo-out-for-r-type-final-2-and-its-great/

I think it's safe to say Final 2 is more than a decent addition to the lineage of fine arcade shoot'em-ups that started over 3 decades ago.

The full game is good too and the Leo2 is a monster.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2021/05/06/r-type-final-2-review-a-surprisingly-solid-return-to-form/