R-Type Final 2

TheShend

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2020 at 14:03, Klatrymadon said:

There's activity on the above Stream right now, if anyone can watch it. No idea what it's about but I'm staying tuned for gameplay footage!

Suikun245 uploaded a rough translation on YT about a week ago. Selected some interesting bits:

Q: When the demo version will be available? 

A: At least 2 months before the official release. (not confirmed yet)

Q: Will the Curtain Call(R-100) be available?

A: Yes, also Last Dancer(R-99) and Grand Finale(R-101) will be available

Q: Will it have a Bydo Labo section?

A: Yes, we are making it.

Q: What about a collab with other companies like Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours did?

A: It's interesting, I want to make it someday

Q: Will it gave a gallery menu?

A: Yes, just like the R-Type Delta

Q: What about R-Type Final 3?

A: We are making the R-Type Final 2 to be playable as long as possible

Interesting answer, followed up with:

Q: What's the selling point of this game?

A: There's mostly three: One: The fact that we are making a new version of R-Type now. Two: We are making a worldwide ranking system where all platforms from every country will be listed together Three: We want to make it the R-Type "platform", so we are preparing a feature where we can eventually add new stages and spaceships in the future.

Q: How many ships will be available?

A: It won't be more than 100 ships at launch. We are trying to narrow the amount of ships available at launch, but eventually it will have more than 100 different playable ships

Needless to say that i'm pretty excited about the bolded part. 

• 3 weeks later...

if anyone missed out (me) there's a THIRD round of crowd funding with "limited" places to get onboard

https://twitter.com/rtypefinal2_gz/status/1321047993936609281?s=20 THEY DELETED THIS TWEET

here's an earlier version

https://rtypefinal2.com/crowdfunding/third/

Therefore we have decided to launch our third crowdfunding round for about one month period starting from October 27 through November 30, 2020. Please note that the rewards we will be able to offer this time are quite limited due to the short period until the scheduled time of release. We appreciate your understanding and thank you for your continued support for "R-Type Final 2".

• 3 months later...

Huge fan of the Salamander walls there! I have to question the wisdom of showing empty stages (presumably just to emphasise the variety of stage themes and ship types), though - the oldest and most boring complaint about Final is that it has nothing going on in terms of interesting level design.

Late April release! Great news... Love bit of R-Type and glad R-Type final wasn't well final. :D 

Interesting the have "Series X" on the platform list there. Not sure why they singled that out wonder if it has some enhancements over the other versions or something. That or MS have been throwing some money at them.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

I wonder if it could be a day one gamepass job. 

Perhaps - depends if MS have an appetite for this genre. 

Personally going for the PC version though as I have an arcade stick for the PC. Playing things like this on a pad don't feel right IMHO. :)

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

Perhaps - depends if MS have an appetite for this.

Personally going for the PC version though as I have an arcade stick for the PC. Playing things like this on a pad don't feel right IMHO. :)

Good point. Only arcade stick I have is on Switch but will want to play on Xbox. Might have to double dip. 

• 1 month later...

I thought that the "start up sequence" was fun - looking around the hangar and getting a nice shot of the craft... And the shooting itself is fine; maybe not mindblowing but still decent. My only issue - the audio (well, the music) was very moody and low-key, which worked against any attempt to build an exciting atmosphere. I know that Final 1's soundtrack was a bit like this as well, but for a demo of a forthcoming game it could have had a bit more energy. :D 

I thought it was okay but there's no sense of your shots connecting. The timing and intensity of everything, the visuals, the sound effects, is all slightly off.

It's a long time since I've played Final or Delta so maybe this was how the 3D games always were but it stood out... 

And why is it prompting me to nod or give a thumbs up when I'm trying to skip to the game? Why is there a launch sequence with a cockpit view, then transitioning to the ship shown from the side like R-Type 3 but instead of the level starting it fades out then fades in again with the same camera angle at the start of the level!? What?

Shmups need to feel immediate. Crisp. Even a slow paced series like R-Type.

The demo doesn't feel considered and atmospheric like R-Type should, it just feels flabby.

17 hours ago, matt0 said:

And why is it prompting me to nod or give a thumbs up when I'm trying to skip to the game? Why is there a launch sequence with a cockpit view, then transitioning to the ship shown from the side like R-Type 3 but instead of the level starting it fades out then fades in again with the same camera angle at the start of the level!? What?

You can choose to skip the intro from ship select menu. 

Liked the nod to Pulstar with the opening seconds. Wonder what's up with the little bydo R-type hiding around the corner, will probably make a return later in the game. 

Demo is short but faithful to the original which i'm more then pleased about. Given it's Kujo's lovechild i'm pretty sure most of the jankiness apparent will be ironed out before launch or during the games lifespan eventually. More then 15 years after Final the demo felt like a warm bath, can't wait for the full release.   

6 hours ago, Sun Tze said:

You can choose to skip the intro from ship select menu. 

Indeed.

I honestly don't get the negativity in this thread. Apart from the demo being a bit janky, I really think it looks like they stuck to the series trademark action, and delivered a neat looking sequel to the PS2 classic. Hopefully the rest of the game will be as good as what the (admittedly very brief) demo's given us so far.

As I didn't have a PS2, I didn't really get to play R-type Final back in the days, so I've been wanting a new R-type game for ages. The seminal Delta still being my favourite.

Apparently the little Bydo ship hiding in the corner starts moving when playing on R-typer difficulty. Doesn't do anything (for now) though. 

Unlocked all the extra ships and had some fun trying out the different mechanics. Guess the only thing left to do is trying to get my dose gauge to fill up on the highest difficulty setting and play for score a bit. 

A retrospective of R-Types' rich history while we wait for the full release:

• 4 weeks later...

They're sending out codes for the full game to backers now - check your email (including your spam folder) or log in to the "Team R-Type Final 2" page. I've added the game to my Steam library now, but of course I won't be able to download or install it until it's released. :) 

Can I recommend Natsuki Chronicles in this thread?
I think anyone who likes R-Type will absolutely love this game.
My game of the year so far.

There's your standard arcade mode where you can play through all the stages and go for the 1cc, but there's also a story mode where you can play the stages one at a time and buy new weapons and upgrade them and stuff.

It's from Qute, the makers of the excellent Eschatos.

I will say that the bullets are a lot slower in easy mode, just in case the the trailer puts anyone off!

Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1175190/Natsuki_Chronicles/

PS4 (20% off) - https://store.playstation.com/en-gb/product/EP4034-CUSA26074_00-NATSUKICHRON00EU
Xbox - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/natsuki-chronicles/9n7jx1rb5tjz?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I feel like a Jehovah's witness :D

Thank you for your time.

First review being very positive:

>>  https://www.thegamesmachine.it/r-type-final-2-pc-ps4-xbox-one-switch/r-type-final-2-recensione/

R-Type Final 2 is an aesthetically brilliant reboot of the classic arcade game by Irem Corporation. Old players will feel at home, either when approaching the game with the strategies of the past, or when they try to change habits by exploring the new possibilities offered by the game.