R-Type Final 2

TheShend

17 hours ago, Revival said:

Pretty damn impressive they've got funding of over £600k in just one week. I wonder if the likes of G.Rev or Treasure will follow suit to get some new projects going.

It's not bad, but there aren't actually that many backers. With six hours left, there've been about 7000 backers so most of them (including me) have gone a bit bananas and pledged £100 or more. To put the 7000 in perspective, FTL had nearly 10,000 and that's an unknown IP.

I'd love to see a Border Down 2 or Gradius 6 (spiritual sequels if the rights holders kick up trouble) so fingers crossed the Japanese dev teams get the message there's fat cash sitting out there waiting for them :)

Backed this at the "physical copy & special goods" tier. Chuffed to see some of the stretch goals have been met. I'm wondering in what context they'll add the stages from Final and R-Type III - as separate, DLC-style stages or woven into the time-travelling narrative...

• 1 month later...

July Development Update:

https://rtypefinal2.com/project-r/info/vol1.html

Surprised that stage 3: Battleship raid was the most requested stage from Final. I mean, it's an R-Type game, it's going to have a Battleship raid stage regardless. The environment (traffic, crumbling buildings) was interesting but personally would have liked to see stage 2: Twisted Ecology with all its variants or stage 6: Floating Graves remade. 

Interesting quote: " The cover image of the month shows the biological enemy Gauper attacking the trans-dimensional fighter R-9A Arrowhead from the front.
Behind the Gauper, you can see a swarm of Bydo System (α) Alpha approach. They can later be used as player fighters."  

• 1 month later...

First demo footage!

Getting straight back into hideous biomechanical fare with the environments and the return of the Bydo System class of ships as enemies, which is heartening. Not much to see in terms of level design here, which seems open and flat in a proof-of-concept kinda way, although the Outslay could create some pressure in that big open area. It's a really promising opening salvo, anyway, the fundamentals all visibly in place. 

19 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

This is looking very promising.

I never played Final though. How does it compare to Delta - which is my favourite R-type game ?

You, sir, have impeccable taste. As a frothing fan of the series, I rank Final at the bottom of the list. There are some truly great ships that enable different play types, but the majority are time locked. That's not necessarily bad in itself, but:

a) lots take tens of hours to unlock, and the stopwatch only activates in-game, not in the menu. To unlock the higher tier ships takes about 30 hours of in-game play, which just wastes all the developers' efforts.

b) The levels themselves range from 'good' to 'meh', never getting close to 'brilliant' or even 'great'. Yet you'll be playing them hundreds of times through if you want to use the Cerberus, Mr. Heli, or the ship from Image Fight

Some people like it, but I remain unimpressed (and I've played about 20 hours worth and unlocked about 80% of the ships!). For reference, my rankings are:

R-Type Delta

R-Type

R-Type III: The Third Lightning

R-Type Leo

R-Type II

R-Type Final

22 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

This is looking very promising.

I never played Final though. How does it compare to Delta - which is my favourite R-type game ?

Delta would be a bit more action packed and feels like it's scrolling slightly quicker. Level design is a bit more vibrant and dense. Generally there's more stuff going on at any given time. Final is a melancholic trip through time and history, R-Type's ship history being the focus. The graphics are understandably cleaner, music is still great, gameplay is the same and there's a ton more secrets, levels and stuff to unlock. There's a R-Type museum and Bydo Catalogue with a little bit of info on every ship and any Bydo you ever came across. I love them both really, if i was a critic i' might say Delta was 'better' but as a fan of the series, Final is just a wholesome collection of joy.  

Seriously, the only thing holding it down in my book is the omission of the diagonal Force type from Last Resort. Understandable from a design perspective, could have been an awesome mini-game though :)

• 3 weeks later...

https://rtypefinal2.com/project02/

Announcement of Launching an Additional Crowdfunding Campaign

We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere gratitude for your continued support for "R-Type Final 2". Also, we thank you for supporting the Kickstarter campaign we ran in June 2019. Thanks to many backers, we were successfully funded and achieved the goal.

After the campaign period, we received feedback from many people saying “the campaign had been over before I knew it” because the campaign period was very short due to our circumstances and that we failed to make people known about the campaign effectively. We apologize that we have not been able to respond to this feedback and that we did not run the initial crowdfunding campaig long enough.

Therefore we decided to run an additional crowdfunding campaign for one month starting from October 1 (Japan Time) onwards. Once again, we are sorry that it took time for us to decide on launching an additional campaign. We look forward to your continued support and cooperation for “R-Type Final 2”.

I might still have a chance!

image.thumb.png.5300a20268daf166dfe2a86996f4a43f.png

still, $80...

I can imagine having so many old timer (ex-) coders and designers from Nazca, Aicom and Irem helping out, coming up with old and new ideas, must be pretty wholesome and exciting for Kujo-san. I wish i was a fly on the wall at Granzella's office and could hear them reminisce about the good old days/games and everything they want to implement in Final2. 

"I should've spent more" was a recurring thought after the kickstarter ended. Good news then. Hope they'll release a "making of" at some point.  

• 4 weeks later...

There's about 12 hours left to support the additional crowdfunding drive, aimed at people who missed the 1-week Kickstarter. It's handled through the website and via PayPal, this time. It's been pretty poorly publicised, by their own admission, and for whatever reason another extension isn't likely. (The stretch goal content has all looked great so far, though.)

https://rtypefinal2.com/project02/

Some of the lighting effects are lovely but the explosions that the small enemies produce when shot are (imo) awful / terribly generic looking. They remind me of some old phone app that I once had that let me overlay explosions and the like on little movies that I’d made :mellow:

• 10 months later...