R-Type Final 2

TheShend

5 hours ago, Revival said:

A week seems a bit short for a crowdfuning campaign no?

I don't know how long they usually last ? (Never contributed to a crowdfunder, this will be my first). 

Glad it's coming out on all platforms. 

On 08/04/2019 at 09:52, Klatrymadon said:

An interview with Kazuma Kujo about Final2, summarised for English readers by GSK here.

Some highlights:

It all sounds more promising the more I hear, and I particularly like their understanding of the series' approach to stage design and how they plan to build upon it, etc. There's a strong sense of the persistence of attitudes and design philosophies that were there on day one (even if Kujo wasn't).

They seem like many of the philosophies seen in Dariusburst CS, to be honest, but that's not a criticism.

To his point about difficulty, Irem tended to make easier difficulty levels all about the volume of lasers and bullets. I actually don't think this makes the game substantially easier; I'd look at making navigation simpler: removing some screen furniture, limiting enemy movement patterns, stuff like that. I think 'widening the corridor' would be a better way of removing barrier to entry rather than just lowering enemy hit values and shot rate, tbh.

Kickstarter is up!

I've gone in for a physical copy, which is gonna be a whopping £70 delivered. No EU distribution, so it's being mailed from Japan which they're charging about 25 quid for. SMH.

Looking at about £25 for a digital copy. 

Really wasn't a fan of the first game but I've backed it as I want to see the genre continue as widely as possible.

The good news is it's already 30% funded after being up for only a few hours, Some of the stretch goals are pretty good so let's hope it does as well as possible.

Here's the direct KS link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/granzella/r-type-final-2-aiming-for-a-brand-new-the-best-shmup-ever

I really hope they strip the lethargic feeling out of it; the atmosphere Final introduced. Obviously it was deliberate - as @K alludes to, it was intended as an elegy for the series - which was fine when it was meant as a swansong. Now it's not, the devs need to inject some adrenaline into the final Final.

If, indeed, this is going to be final - I'm sure they would like it to be final in the way Final Fantasy is 'final' ;)

Stretch goals. Not impressed with these at all, tbh. I'd rather they had more brand new levels as a stretch, rather than stuff we've seen before. More variety, too.

Also they're wildly over-ambitious if they think they are gonna make several million! KSs tend to make the most money on first day and final day, and Kicktraq predicts them achieving $1.2m.

The stretches don't even start to get interesting until $900K and  I personally don't think they'll break a mil (the KS only runs for 7 days!) but hope i'm wrong.

15e8f75e06822bf1428d2bd7b36f277f_origina

Only about nine thousand euro's to design your own ship for the game! The 2,5k offer for a personalised opening sequence was very tempting but i settled for the physical copy with special goods (soundtrack and hardcover art book).

9 minutes ago, Sun Tze said:

Only about nine thousand euro's to design your own ship for the game! The 2,5k offer for a personalised opening sequence was very tempting but i settled for the physical copy with special goods (soundtrack and hardcover art book).

I've just upped my pledge to that, too. The lure of being in the credits of a game series I've loved for 30 odd years is just too strong >_<

Plus, art books are priddy.

1 minute ago, Treble said:

I've just upped my pledge to that, too. The lure of being in the credits of a game series I've loved for 30 odd years is just too strong >_<

Plus, art books are priddy.

the €2.5k or €9k option? :blink:

Totally read that wrong.

Edited by SeanR

this is awkward:

I backed shenmue 3 to the tune of $250, and that's 2 years late. And I've not even completed the first two games.

Now I can't even find $80* for R-Type Final II because this KS ends in 7 days, rather than the more usual 30 days. Which would include a payday, you know?

What were they thinking!?! We'll see...

* I want my name in the credits.

Many Bydo waves ago i fell in love with Irem/Nazca.The attention to detail and sprite animation in their shmups was so cool and unlike anything seen at that point. Even after changing to polygons, Irem's shmups had a certain vibe that elevated them above most contemporaries for me. You can argue shmups don't need a story but the tidbits of lore, stage introductions and ship descriptions really add some depth to the shooting experience for me. Delta and Final have that melancholic vibe about them, solid shooting mechanics, stunning soundtracks, they are just..... a bit special. Many Bydo waves later the fire hasn't faded. While it's not the 'ultimate Bydo collection' i was hoping for, Granzella's announcement has me Wavecharging multiple loops of pure joy. 

I think the R-Type universe has so much more potential.......i suffer from this unidentifiable thought about a massive online vs/co-op shooter but my brain can't really figure out how that should work/look.  

On 04/06/2019 at 10:19, Treble said:

The stretches don't even start to get interesting until $900K and  I personally don't think they'll break a mil (the KS only runs for 7 days!) but hope i'm wrong.

In their latest update they’ve lowered stretch goal targets... :) 

3 hours ago, Qazimod said:

In their latest update they’ve lowered stretch goal targets... :) 

Hah! Yeah, this is far from my first rodeo and those targets looked hugely ambitious to me, even just eyeballing it.

I always check Kicktraq for stats, and they reckon this will make about $1m US which would net us a bunch of extra stages. So fingers crossed.

On 04/06/2019 at 09:31, Treble said:

I really hope they strip the lethargic feeling out of it; the atmosphere Final introduced. Obviously it was deliberate - as @K alludes to, it was intended as an elegy for the series - which was fine when it was meant as a swansong. Now it's not, the devs need to inject some adrenaline into the final Final.

If, indeed, this is going to be final - I'm sure they would like it to be final in the way Final Fantasy is 'final' ;)

I came to post the same. Ive been playing a lot of the original recently and it’s so taut and snappy. This looks like you’re swimming through treacle. If that’s what they’re going for ok, I guess, but then I’d argue it’s not R-Type anymore.