rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Soulstar

Retro Game Club - April ‘19: Golden Axe - POLL ADDED FOR MAY get voting (ends 1 May midday)

Let play Retro May poll - decide now!   

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

header.jpg?t=1549028429

Ok guys to get this ball rolling I’ve decided to make the thread for this month’s let’s play together and discuss in here game. Shout out to Ninja Doctor for creating the first one last month which was Zelda Link’s Awakening, and although I didn’t participate (down to being away half of the month), I think this idea is quite cool to get involved with. 

We’ll stick with the first game but any port is welcome and it will be interesting to note the differences. I’ve got the game on the PS3 Sega collection and it should be on just about all systems in some form or another. 

I haven’t played too much of this although have had the occasional dabble here and there and once got to play it on the ST but more as a curious endeavour after its heyday. Gonna see if I can git gud over the next few weeks. 

• Upvote 8

My main memory of this is sleeping over at my sister's at the weekend (she's 11 years older than I am) and her boyfriend having a Master System II and a copy of this (his Master System II had Sonic the Hedgehog inbuilt, mine had Alex Kidd). I might stick a Master System emulator on the laptop and play it that way and on the PSP Mega Drive collection.

I’m in! I’ll be playing Pyron’s Arcade Colour Hack for the Mega Drive, on my Mega SG. Makes the game look a lot nicer, but still lacks the blue eye for the eagle that the Amiga had.

I can pretty reliably get to the last boss on one credit, but he’s pretty damn tough, and the extra MD-only boss is an utter cheap wanker. Never beaten him.

Oh, and Gilius Thunderhead FTW. 

• Upvote 4

This is one of my favourite games ever.  The music, the riding the beasts, the setting are all fantastic.  There's great attention to detail, like when you can see the turtle's head and the eagle's face.

I only ever use Gilius.  Yes, it's bloody annoying when the blue elves give up magic but his is full, but the range of his rolling attack more than makes up for that.

The skeletons are bastards.

Today I played Golden Axe on the Gameboy Advance.  It's on the Sega Smash Pack, along with Ecco and Sonic Spinball.  At the time it was great to have a portable version of one of my all time faves (I had never thitherto possessed a Nomad).  However, it is a disappointing port.

It's basically the same as the Megadrive version, so the beasts are in slightly different order to the arcade version.

The main problem is that there is a lack of impact.  When Gilius does his rolling attack, it doesn't make any sound when it connects.  That doesn't sound like much, but it makes it much less satisfying.  Also, the game is zoomed in compared to other ports, which means fewer chances to push enemies off ledges.

Jumping attacks and rolling attacks now hit mutiple enemies, which makes the game easier, and the rolling attacks, which almost never hit the bastard skeletons in other versions hit them every time here.

I cleared the first Death Adder easily enough, but couldn't get over the jump in the additional dungeon.

Will play a different port soon.

• Upvote 2

Love Golden Axe. I first played it on the Amstrad, then the ST. The Amstrad port is fantastic when you consider the hardware it’s running on. Chunky, colourful graphics and smooth horizontal scrolling, only the sound lets it down. ST port is great too, and in fact has my favourite sound effects of any of them - Ax Battler’s triple sword swing into helmet knock, finishing with the crunch of a thrown body hitting the deck cracks me up. Since then I’ve obviously played pretty much every version and I think the ideal for me would be MD game with ST sound effects.  I’ll be playing the arcade version first on my bartop, then I shall indulge in the Mega Drive conversion via Everdrive, and finally, the Amiga conversion on my A1200.  

If I get around to it I’ll make a disk of the ST game but it’s a bit of a faff so it’s unlikely I’ll bother. Must invest in a Gotek.

• Upvote 2

I think I could play the MD version on original hardware. Haven't played it for twenty odd years, so it might be time to return to it.

What's the idea of these threads? Do we do a review when we're done, sort of thing?

I assume the idea is to play it and comment on anything that comes to mind.  Be it the art, the game play, when you first played it, how it's aged, bits you like, things you didn't know.  It's all fun for others to read - the sky's the limit.

With Zelda people posted tips, questions and updates ad to their progress, but that doesn't really apply to Golden Axe, as it only takes 20 minutes or so to play.  

Yeah it’s  going to end up a bit different to the last one but a good way of showcasing everyone’s progress and will provide conversation about all the various ports. What’s better about this sort of thread compared to just a look back thread is that everyone will be actively playing it (or most) so it should make it appear from a fresh perspective.

I never get chance to join in during the modern games discussions when the topics are hot because I’m often going for slightly older titles that have cooled down a bit, and this gives us the opportunity to recreate that sort of thing but with older games. 

Plus I’m looking to these threads to recommend games I might not have played before. I know I’ve not done much past about ten minutes of golden axe being a SNES man in my youth. 

I’ve not played much either and I’m quite interested to see how much I can get out of playing it over the month, when I get chance that is though. Hopefully it will encourage people to play and try to get more out of it than a simple quick go. 

Just had a blast on the arcade version.  Is there anything more satisfying in gaming than timing the spinning reverse attack to hit an enemy that's charging across the screen at you from behind?  Wife remarked that the enemies sounded like they were in 'great pain' as she walked by.

• Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Quick question for those in the know, is there a mega cd version and if so does it have better sound?

Yes, and the sound is different, voice samples are higher / different quality (possibly from the arcade version) and other details have been changed.

No 2-player mode though. 

I’m guessing it’s the one on the classic 5 in 1 collection. I’ll have a look on the high seas. 

I had had a quick blast on the mega drive version and played as the Barbarian. I’ll call him Dave. 

So so far he swings his sword, occasionally picks people up and does a funny shoulder barge across the screen. Is this pretty much the depth of the combat or am I missing something? SoR2 this is not.  

I’m unlikely to get any chance to even check it out till about next week as I’m busy and away this weekend shooting an sa80 and running in fields like I’m stuck in cannon fodder. Getting paid for it though so it’s all good. 

Pretty much.  It's a fairly early beat 'em up so I wouldn't expect too much.  The big thing at the time was the unique fantasy setting, while pretty much every other scrolling fighter was set in a grimy cityscape.

Edit - at Ninja Doctor

If anyone still has their xbox 360 kicking about the Sega Vintage Golden Axe collection has an arcade perfect version of the first along with Megadrive versions of Golden Axe 2 and 3. I think its also playable on the Xbox one. 

Aside from that there is also the strange Sega Ages version on the PS2 with semi 3d graphics and an orchestral score. Not authentic but it has curiosity value. 

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I’m guessing it’s the one on the classic 5 in 1 collection. I’ll have a look on the high seas. 

I had had a quick blast on the mega drive version and played as the Barbarian. I’ll call him Dave. 

So so far he swings his sword, occasionally picks people up and does a funny shoulder barge across the screen. Is this pretty much the depth of the combat or am I missing something? SoR2 this is not.  

There's also getting enemies to fall off ledges and, using the beasts to attack, which is the most satisfying part of the combat.  Depending on your distance to the enemy, you sometimes hit people on the head with the hilt of your sword before booting them.  You also have a special attack, which doesn't cost any energy, unlike the ones in Final Fight, but Dave's isn't much use.

Use Shortarse next time - he's much better than Dave and Vicky.

As Nathan said, the charm of this game lies mostly in the setting, although the presentation is also very good.  It's amazing that the sequels are so charmless.  

I'd forgotten about the PS2 game - might give that another go, even though it's awful.

Hold down jump and attack at exactly the same time.  It attacks in the direction you are NOT facing, a bit like the elbow punch in Double Dragon.

You'll need it when you get to the armoured knights.

Press attack and jump at the same time. The dwarf does a backwards roll which hits with a satisfying thwock and does good damage. It’s a bit OP, particularly against those big knight chaps.

Dash attacks and jumping slashes are guaranteed to knock enemies down, but don’t do much damage. But if you dash, then jump, then attack you do a sort of Aeris-skewering move which will knock them down AND does lots of damage, but it’s quite hard to pull off.

For Mega Bonus Points*, try and do the skewer attack onto the fire just as the bonus round ends.

* no benefit whatsoever except proving to your sibling that you can

My post sounds like I’m playing it down a bit, but I really do love Golden Axe. I’d take it over any other beat ‘em up until you start getting deep into the Capcom and Konami greats. You have to remember at this time in the arcades you’d see it along side Double Dragon and Renegade cabinets, so that setting and the superb graphics really stood out. As did the screams of pain, apparently.

While I don’t doubt I must have played it once or twice in the arcade at the time, I don’t remember doing, so it’s great that it received such strong home conversions. Especially on the home computers where the quality of arcade conversions could be a little...patchy.

• Upvote 1

I finished the Megadrive version last night for the umpteenth time (on the mega sg), its such a great game.

Although not quite the range of attacks of SOR2, you can still keep it varied - definitly use the shoulder barge when there are two powerful enemies on screen, use the reverse rolling attack ...  but absolutely use the diving skewer! Its tricky to pull off, but very satisfying!

I always try my best to spam the skeletons/ throw/ bargethem  into the pits, its a cheap kill, but games like SOR also encourage this tactic too.

I remember getting into a panic the first time I saw the black enemies while taking the Fiend's Path.

Then I found out that they're just the same as the ordinary baddies, but coloured black.

There's quite a good variety of enemies in Golden Axe.  In Golden Axe 3 it felt like I was fighting the two baddies, who remind me of Stan and Ollie, over and over again.

I played this on the mega drive collection on the PS3 last night.  Tbh I recon I enjoyed playing this way more than most of the newer games I have played recently.  I burned through credits but it was simple, engaging and was done in about an hour.  I'd take a lot more of this over newer games.

• Upvote 1

I remember the first time I saw the game in the arcade. I loved that whole swords and sorcery setting so I was drawn to the machine. I was pretty young at the time and decided to pick Guilius due to the fact his weapon was a golden axe!! Young me assumed that he was key to this game. Anyway I instantly fell in love with the look of the game, the music, the setting and the whole thing. You got magic! You got to kick in elves! Beasts!! Skeletons like Jason and the Argonauts! 

Even today I still enjoy a playthrough at least once a year and last time my daughter had her first completion with me :) 

• Upvote 2