Solid little thrillers

Monument Ave. (sometimes known in the UK as Noose) is a great little movie. The easy thing to call it would be an Irish-American Mean Streets - low-level petty crooks on the fringes of organised crime getting out of their depth. Denis Leary leads a solid cast and reminds you that he could be a pretty damn good actor with the right part. I saw it back in the 90s, revisited it recently and was chuffed to find it really holds up.

There's a few here I haven't seen. Which gives me a thrill. Gonna go find noose, which I'd never heard of.

Way of the gun is properly brilliant kidnap film with hard boiled characters and a great shoot out at the end 

5 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Way of the gun is properly brilliant kidnap film with hard boiled characters and a great shoot out at the end 

Not to mention one of the weirdest and slowest car chases ever. I mean that as a compliment, it’s so bizarre.

And whilst we’re talking about Christopher McQuarrie movies, I like the seventies thriller vibe of the first Jack Reacher movie. Brilliant opening scene with the sniper, and also another fantastic car chase. Shame the sequel is awful, and just doesn’t get what McQuarrie was doing.

4 minutes ago, Monkeyboy said:

Not to mention one of the weirdest and slowest car chases ever. I mean that as a compliment, it’s so bizarre.

And whilst we’re talking about Christopher McQuarrie movies, I like the seventies thriller vibe of the first Jack Reacher movie. Brilliant opening scene with the sniper, and also another fantastic car chase. Shame the sequel is awful, and just doesn’t get what McQuarrie was doing.

Really happy someone else acknowledges just how fantastic that first movie is, especially the first 2 thirds. I know loads of people whinge about he's too short but frankly the books are fucking awful.

8 minutes ago, linkster said:

Really happy someone else acknowledges just how fantastic that first movie is, especially the first 2 thirds. I know loads of people whinge about he's too short but frankly the books are fucking awful.

I thought it was just me who couldn't get on with the books. Just extremely average thrillers with an annoying lead.

1 minute ago, sandman said:

I thought it was just me who couldn't get on with the books. Just extremely average thrillers with an annoying lead.

He is insufferable. The fact that the books are narrated first person and that he is a total cockend is quite astonishing in terms of artistic license when it came to the movie but thank god they did

28 minutes ago, Goose said:

Yes, I really enjoyed Jack Reacher. 

Not sure it's a little thriller but The Taking of Pelham 123 is superb. 

Pelham 123 is absolutely a solid little thriller. And an excellent example. 

Truly the best genre. I can't wait to check out that Netflix one someone just mentioned with Ben Affleck

Spartan. David Mamet's dialogue fused perfectly with his fetish for male professionalism.

Tony Arzenta aka Big Guns aka No Way Out. Criminally overlooked, head and shoulders over pretty much everything I've seen in the Eurocrime genre (whilst boring, samey efforts chug out onto blu-ray on a regular basis). Alain Delon plays a hitman who wants out, and they should have just let him go.

Mario Bava's Rabid Dogs is a sweaty, claustrophobic experience. A gang of robbers hijack a car and hold the occupants hostage as they try to escape the law.

I feel like Bad Day at Black Rock might be too big to fit in here, but if anyone hasn't seen it... see it.

The Spanish Prisoner with Steve Martin and Campbell Scott is a decent grifter thriller. Quite light with some sensible and well considered twists and turns. 

Out of Sight is not only a fantastic crime thriller but is one heck of a sexy film, Clooney and Lopez smouldering throughput. 

9 Queens is an Argentinian film again focusing on a group of grifters. It’s terrific. 

13 Tzameti a somewhat darker thriller. Variety described it thus “Shot like the grunge version of a '50s noir thriller from France (or Soviet Georgia), the black-and-white 13 (Tzameti) turns into a shocker of Tarantino proportions in protracted sequences of explosive violence that leave viewers quaking”

Finally, The Secret in Their Eyes. Another Argentinian film but this is majestic, ambitious and a film to really melt into. Ignore the Hollywood remake. 

Couple more that just sprung into my head. The french thriller, Crimson Rivers. And the rather wonderful Ronin. Superb car chases, exceptional cast, great plot, beautifully shot and a number of captivating action scenes to boot.

13 hours ago, Goose said:

Yes, I really enjoyed Jack Reacher. 

Not sure it's a little thriller but The Taking of Pelham 123 is superb. 

There's one thing that annoys the hell out of me with film channels these days:

Great, The Taking of Pelham 123 is on later! Oh, it's the remake.

Great, Day of the Dead is on later! Oh, it's the remake.

Great! Total Recall is on later! Oh, it's the remake.

Great, RoboCop is on later! Oh, it's the remake.

Great, The Thing is on later! Oh, it's the remake prequel.

After a bad day at work sometimes you just want to watch a comforting old favourite but you CAN'T. :angry:

Assault on Precinct 13 (original, obviously) is another cracking thriller, but I'm sure everyone already knows that. While the remake isn't completely terrible, it does what so many modern films/remakes do and adds banal character motivations, extraneous subplots and so on, so that the tightness that was present in the original is lost, although I suppose you could argue that this at least helps differentiate it from the original.

3 minutes ago, Chosty said:

There's one thing that annoys the hell out of me with film channels these days:

Great, The Taking of Pelham 123 is on later! Oh, it's the remake.

Great, Day of the Dead is on later! Oh, it's the remake.

Great! Total Recall is on later! Oh, it's the remake.

Great, RoboCop is on later! Oh, it's the remake.

Great, The Thing is on later! Oh, it's the remake prequel.

Great, Infernal Affairs is on! Oh, FUCK it's Internal :doh:

33 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

This was one of my favourite genres in the late 80s, early 90s when I worked in my Dads video shop. It was the heyday of straight to VHS clunkers but so many hidden gems. Classics that spring to mind...

Best Seller

Cop

The Stepfather

House of Games

Mr Frost

Shock to the System

State of Grace

Some of these sound great. KInd of thing that ought to be on Amazon Prime

Eden Lake.

Although prepare to be uncomfortable, fuck this really unsettled me. 

Oldboy

Wouldnt call it little, as its one of the best movies ever made and a mighty budget for Korean cinema in general.

Tension filled brilliance. 

I can't remember the name of it right now but it's a Netflix movie about 2 townies who go hunting in a remote (Scottish?) area and end up in all sorts of bother with the locals. Came out last year I think. Enjoyed that one. 

Aha! It was Calibre.

A couple of years since I seen it but can I nominate Seven Psychopaths too.