rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Megadrive Mini

Well, it's dodgy as fuck. It's frozen up 3 times in 5 minutes. 

Fuck that.

Freezes immediately. Have I too many games on it? I still have space remaining. Should I not use zip files? Why are they an option?

Spent 3 hours putting games on it, and now it's a paperweight. 

I've had to do a system restore. Apparently you need to keep at least 60 megs free, I'll give it another go tomorrow.

EDIT: Keep it to 60 games and leave 85 megs free

• Upvote 1

Works perfectly for me, but then I've only added Shining Force II. Not too much else I want to add tbh.

Very grateful for this, and the boot screen music is amazing, but I wish there was a way to remove any kind of boot screen completely and hide Project Lunar and Retroarch from the game selection screen. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Works perfectly for me, but then I've only added Shining Force II. Not too much else I want to add tbh.

Very grateful for this, and the boot screen music is amazing, but I wish there was a way to remove any kind of boot screen completely and hide Project Lunar and Retroarch from the game selection screen. 

In one of the earlier videos on it there was an autoboot setting that allowed you to go straight to the normal screen. Is that not there now?

3 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Does it change the screen layout, or can you keep the original like on the SNES mini and PS classic?

You're supposed to get the choice of the normal menu, RetroArch and another option that I can't remember right now.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Super Craig said:

In one of the earlier videos on it there was an autoboot setting that allowed you to go straight to the normal screen. Is that not there now?

That option still exists, but the Lunar boot screen still flashes up for a moment or two when you turn the console on. It's a small thing but it's annoying, especially as Hakichi on the Snes mini doesn't do anything similar. 

The games I've added don't seem to run as well as the stock ones.. Revenge of Shinobi feels like there's a frameskip enabled. Sonic and Knuckles is slow too. Wonder if its because I've used EU boxart? 

Aladdin seems fine though? 

This is great. There's just enough room to put on your guilty pleasures and the handful of shocking omissions to make it totally worthwhile. Combined with a wireless six button pad and I've got the MegaDrive set up I've always dreamed about. I can FINALLY play Sonic 3 and Knuckles on a comfy couch, something I haven't done since 1994

80578364_10157617294935803_7758156609682

81185337_10157617295225803_6257451579981

81458021_10157617295330803_8685651253906

81757190_10157617295440803_4754959573301

81433388_10157617295525803_3444373968197

I added:

Aladdin

Desert Strike

Fatal Fury
Golden Axe 2

Jungle Strike

Micro Machines 2

MUSHA

Quackshot

Robocop Vs Terminator

Soleil

Sonic 3 Complete

Splatterhouse 2

Splatterhouse 3

Streets of Rage

Streets of Rage 3

Super Hang On
The Revenge of Shinobi

Toejam and Earl Panic on Funkotron

Urban Strike

Zero Wing

Virtua Racing didn't work, unfortunately.

• Upvote 8

This mod is my the same group of people who did the SNES Mini hack, so I'd say yes. If it's not a feature of this first release, it'll probably show up at some point.

Also, for those running out of space it looks like it supports USB OTG adaptors so you can connect additional USB storage via the micro usb port.

1 hour ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Is the mod fully reversible? Just wondering if returning to stock in an option.

I’ve fully reversed it by uninstalling and then re-installing - all fine.

• Upvote 2

Might be an interesting thing to add to your mini, Yesterday the previously unrelased but unfinished MD version of Super Star Wars was dumped..

On 30/12/2019 at 22:54, Monkeyspill said:

Has anyone else added Hellfire? Check if you’re getting sound from it. I’ve tried three different roms and they’re all silent.

Same here unfortunately.

Anyone found if it’s possible to add multiple region box art along with added games, so the box art changes when you change the console language? A quick tinker with it yesterday and couldn’t see a way to do it.

I'm waiting until they've ironed out some things, so I'll try Project Lunar in another 2 or 3 releases.

How does it handle multiple regions? One of the coolest things about the stock MD Mini is that it has regional variant roms when you switch to other languages. Could I make it so that Streets of Rage 3 appears in the English menu but it turns into Bare Knuckle III in the Japanese menu?

1 hour ago, SqueakyG said:

Could I make it so that Streets of Rage 3 appears in the English menu but it turns into Bare Knuckle III in the Japanese menu?

I'm not sure about this. What I did was just upload Bare Knuckle 3 artwork to my main page. This way it looks more like my physical collection of mixed games anyway.

I like that I can play MegaCD and 32X via Emulation Station. Although I am not going to put any other systems on it. 

Project Lunar 1.05 is out now , couple of nice upgrades - you can run 32X and Mega CD games from the stock UI now. You can also add a game to boot with Genesis Plus / Picodrive instead so those games with sound issus like Hellfire, Midnight Resistance and TMNT are now fixed. It supports box arts but I had to use the Sega CD versions, as the UK versions are flipped to fill the space, and there's no way to get them upright. A small price to pay. If you edit the game title with [32X] when adding , you can keep the formats separated this way too :) 

84543333_10157705172895803_7345930081019

82985412_10157705176330803_2913745585003

83923521_10157705169570803_2109817506368

• Upvote 9

Excellent! How do you mean edit the game title with [32X]? Could you explain that a little more please? :) Also, is there any way to add multiple box art regions when adding games so when wet to Japanese it shows the Japanese box art, US the Genesis art etc?