rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Megadrive Mini

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

Youtubers won’t be covering this because 1) such a tiny tiny tiny percentage of people will care and 2) most youtubers are not very knowledgeable about what they’re talking about and only knock out videos for the views rather than spending time researching and verifying everything like some channels do.

And The Guardian, Ketchup? And Metro? So many websites ran a story and never went into this level of asinine detail. Is there no outlet for those who crave this level of arcane knowledge?

I should nickname myself Professor Arcane!

I'm probably enjoying this hunt for the truth more than I'll enjoy seeing the machine collect dust on my shelf.

Well it's sure as fuck not going to be The Guardian or Metro covering the specifics of which region ROMs are available when you set the device to different languages.

You just gotta face it - it is esoteric knowledge. Embrace it!

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Sketch said:

And The Guardian, Ketchup? And Metro? So many websites ran a story and never went into this level of asinine detail. Is there no outlet for those who crave this level of arcane knowledge?

I'm probably enjoying this hunt for the truth more than I'll enjoy seeing the machine collect dust on my shelf.

Why on earth would you think the Metro would give a shit about the background music of Sonic Spinball?

• Upvote 4

36 minutes ago, Sketch said:

It might be, the only way to play the NTSC-U version, is to import a Genesis Mini. I ask though, is it worth the import charges?

In my view - no. What I quickly thought was which shell am I most likely to want and which pads.

It it highly likely that changing the inner workings will end up being pretty trivial and given the different language menus it will likely be able to deal with having different lists of games depending on which you choose - allowing you to leave the stock list alone.

BTW changing to Chinese gives you Beyond Oasis.

1 hour ago, Super Craig said:

Here's the ROM list: https://pastebin.com/fyhRNJfj

Doesn't look like that they've included separate UK/US versions for every game. I did a quick check on my UK model and changing it to Korean does show US Genesis art (with ERSB ratings) for a few games, but I'd assume that the rest are the Japanese versions.

eu_en_Disney_s_Aladdin.bin

Disney you Bastards

eu_en_Mortal_Kombat_II.bin

PEGI 16 wins. Fatality!

18 minutes ago, Sketch said:

Of course not, if the metro could have gotten away with copy pasting the press release they would have. This information is super niche, is there an audience for it? Yeah of course. Is it a big audience? No. Your best bet is someone like DF retro but even then time is more often than not the limiting factor let alone if they even care about talking about this stuff. It certainly won’t increase their ad revenue enough to spend lots of time on it.

But hey maybe you’ve found a niche here, go start a YouTube channel covering stuff like this and you may earn yourself a good fan base!

29 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

The hell is there a Genesis seal of approval on that box?!  :(

Heh, after the years of crap Atgames has shat out with the Sega branding on it, I guess they felt it was needed.

Honestly. Between the Mega Drive Mini, the retrobit Mega Drive/Saturn USB controllers, Shenmue III and Streets of Rage 4, I haven't been this happy to be a Sega fan since the early 2000's.

• Upvote 7

Tetris is really interesting. Doesn't follow a lot of the standard rules:

- Doesn't follow the 7 bag. You can get the same shape 3 times in a row.

- Cannot slide pieces at the fast speeds

- Cannot hold pieces

- Only see the next piece

- Hard drop present but switched off by default

1 hour ago, Fry Crayola said:

Well it's sure as fuck not going to be The Guardian or Metro covering the specifics of which region ROMs are available when you set the device to different languages.

They would be if I was the editor of all these newspapers. :quote:

6 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I thought you were already the editor of the Daily Sport?

Why? Do they have a SEGA section?

Oh, the JP tower cart doesn't fit in the EU console. Bloody region locking. But it's fine as long as you have either or both other pieces in between.

Top Tip: Savesates carry across regions so to stop flicking between different regions all the time, create a save from the title screen of say Japanese version of PuyoPuyo and then boot Mean Bean Machine as normal each time. Et volia!

• Upvote 8

Mine came! (something else is at the depot!). 

This is a little box of joy. 

As a kid in the nineties that looked up from his master system with awe at the powerhouse SNES and mega drive, and knew in his heart that his parents could never afford either, it blows my mind I’ve now little perfect replications of both under my tv. :wub:

• Upvote 5

Super Fantasy Zone is so good. Its so cheery and colourful, totally at odds with the blow shit out of everything gameplay. The bosses are amazing. Only give this a quick look before but it's ace. 

3 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Tetris is really interesting. Doesn't follow a lot of the standard rules:

- Doesn't follow the 7 bag. You can get the same shape 3 times in a row.

- Cannot slide pieces at the fast speeds

- Cannot hold pieces

- Only see the next piece

- Hard drop present but switched off by default

Thanks for this detail. I read that this new version of Tetris is the only modern release to be approved by the Tetris Company that is out of official spec. Perhaps the decision to approve it might have something to do with it being an authentic arcade port and remaining exclusive to the Mini console..

Speaking of which I hope that M2's other unique arcade ports for Mega Drive (seven of them with only Spatter and Super Locomotive being officially confirmed) can somehow find release before too long. Sega clearly didn't want to dilute the Mini's line up with ports of ancient games that nobody asked for and yet rejecting them still seems like a missed opportunity.

17 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Super Fantasy Zone is so good. Its so cheery and colourful, totally at odds with the blow shit out of everything gameplay. The bosses are amazing. Only give this a quick look before but it's ace. 

I love this game.

Sunsoft were pros at making Fantasy Zones by the time they made this original entry; they had truly nailed the unique magic of the series IMO.

Never having owned a real Mega Drive, I'm surprised by how large the 3-button controllers are. It feels very unfamiliar in the hands. Also the D-pad has pretty sharp edges -- not like the D-pads on every replica 6-button MD controller I've ever used, which have softer edges.

1 hour ago, Klatrymadon said:

The crushing thing about reviews of the Mini isn't that they don't talk about regional differences or input latency, it's that nobody has a clue what Darius is. :(

We knew what it was.

6 hours ago, Sketch said:

I'm probably enjoying this hunt for the truth more than I'll enjoy seeing the machine collect dust on my shelf

Glad you were able to reach that conclusion without having spent a lot of money in the process. 

8 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Never having owned a real Mega Drive, I'm surprised by how large the 3-button controllers are. It feels very unfamiliar in the hands. Also the D-pad has pretty sharp edges -- not like the D-pads on every replica 6-button MD controller I've ever used, which have softer edges.

I like the OG pad almost as much as the 6-button because of how the buttons mimic a typical arcade stick layout. No accidentally hitting the usually redundant X, Y or Z. Just quickfire instant-access ABC shaped for human fingertips in a way no other controller can match. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Popo said:

Glad you were able to reach that conclusion without having spent a lot of money in the process. 

You kidding? After Down by Law made this post, I went on Amazon and ordered it with a 6 button controller, at roughly 17:58 British time. Just because I am aware of the fact I indulge in capitalism by collecting objects I seldom use doesn't mean I'm capable of preventing this. :D:P  

In fairness my SNES Mini gets a bit of playtime these days. I finished Lost Vikings 2 a couple of days ago on it, for the first time. Once the MD Mini is hacked I'm planning to be going through Shin Tengai Aseimei Daibouken in no short order.

• Upvote 3

Why is this "16 bit" rendered exactly like the Tesco logo? What about that one, YouTube reviewers? 

I picked mine up today, having bought it solely for Darius. It hasn't disappointed. It's the most exhaustive port of the game we've ever had, and at this point the definitive home version, showing an unprecedented level of faithfulness to the source material for a pre-Saturn/PS1 conversion - it feels like it shouldn't be possible on the console. Darius MD is worth the price of admission by itself and I wish more people understood how unlikely and special it is!

By the way, if you enter the initials ZTT (for Zuntata) in the high score table, you'll unlock a sound test at the options screen.

• Upvote 2

Mine arrived yesterday! :D

I immediately gave it to my wife so she can wrap it up and give it back to me for my birthday next month. :(