rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Megadrive Mini

But it's still missing [takes a deepbreath]Zero Wing, Decap Attack, Mega Twins, Rocket Knight Adventures, Talmit's Adventure, Thunder Force IV, Mercs, Gaiares, Dragon's Fury, Alien Soldier, Sonic 3, S&K, Elemental Master, Revenge of Shinobi, Ranger X, Quackshot, Soleil, Ristar, Streets of Rage III and Pulseman[exhales].

• Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

But it's still missing [takes a deepbreath]Zero Wing, Decap Attack, Mega Twins, Rocket Knight Adventures, Talmit's Adventure, Thunder Force IV, Mercs, Gaiares, Dragon's Fury, Alien Soldier, Sonic 3, S&K, Elemental Master, Revenge of Shinobi, Ranger X, Quackshot, Soleil, Ristar, Streets of Rage III and Pulseman[exhales].

And Red Zone.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

With only 512MB of internal memory and all regional variants present it sounds like there won't be much space left to put in your own games later though....

The hacking community will very likely get OTG support running on it. At which point you can just load all your roms onto an external micro SD. If the PlayStation Classic (Autobleem) and Snes mini (hakchi2) are anything to go by, picking up a MD Mini will be more than worth the asking price once its cracked open.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

The Nintendo Minis have the same space IIRC - with less available on the SNES due to a larger game sizes etc. The MD Mini with its larger game selection and multiple versions of ROMs probably suggests that yeah, there wont be much writable room left over but I guess it depends on how motivated the hacking community is, whether file compression is natively supported etc.

It depends on how much of the memory is used by system stuff. 42 games with three regional variants is probably going to be around half of the space, at most.

24 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

It depends on how much of the memory is used by system stuff. 42 games with three regional variants is probably going to be around half of the space, at most.

That'd be about the same amount of free space a SNESC has before extra stuff is installed - and that console has less of everything an MD Mini seems to have. Even the theme tune on the SNESC (a 44100hz .wav clocking in at about 11MB) is about a third of the length of the MD one so it'll be interesting to see how much free room there actually is. 

2 hours ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Most of my favourites are missing too and obviously hacks and homebrew like Dha Lau Hoo's suite of masterful Streets of Rage 2 & 3 mods, Andwn's brilliant Cave Story, and Nendo16's incredible Omega Blast will require a hacking tool for installation.

Maybe in a few weeks all will become clear..? 

Ahh, I'm sure they will. It's usually just a matter of time really.

But it'd be a shame we'd need a USB stick to get the extra games on there (ruling out easy access to two-player co-op) as opposed to the extremely user friendly and well-implemented SNES hackchi.

There will be a small period of time now when we will just enjoy having the consoles and playing what's on there - and then the hacking conversation will start. I am as always fascinated to see how quickly it happens.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bum said:

Japanese one.  I didn't bother with the Tower add-on.  Got a carry case though.

God, I had one of those for the original system - it’s probably still in it, in a cupboard in my mum’s house, meaning it’s probably the best-preserves old console I still own. 

On 16/09/2019 at 18:22, spanky debrest said:

I recall Starfox 2 being dumped and shared before the Snes Classic even hit retail - that game was always a popular repro cart. In contrast it seems that barely anyone is even aware that Darius and Tetris are all new exclusive games - and the wider selection on games may reduce the demand for hackery even further..? I'm just thinking out aloud.

Starfox 2 was dumped long before they even thought of the Mini so I guess it's different.

On 16/09/2019 at 18:24, joemul said:

Retro Gamer raves about the MD Mini in their latest issue. 

I love RG but they also raved about the @games shitpiles so this is not the kind of thing where I read their review.

17 minutes ago, bum said:

Here's one.

DC472536-9029-406F-BA87-46D530B89D30.jpeg

Still the best looking console ever, but only the Japanese version. So pleased I let my crazy self win and went for that from PlayAsia. Was shipped today, just got to wait for it now. Then I can put it next to my SNES mini in an exact, miniature, homage to under my telly in 1994.

• Upvote 3

To summarise the Digital Foundry (Retro) review:

- Infinitely better than all the AtGames shite and compilations released over the years.

- Emulation quality really good. Graphics perfect, sound not perfect but better than most.

- Has minor input lag and audio delay compared to real hardware, but apparently comparible to the SNES Mini (which I never noticed - your mileage may vary).

- Technically better output than SNES Mini as it supports full screen for playing on 4:3 monitors.

- Better presentation as it includes all region versions (including 60Hz PAL versions) and accurate box art and spines.

- The "CRT filter" is a bit crap.

- Two controllers, but only the 3-button kind.

- Controller ports are USB so you don't need to open a flappy thing to insert them.

- All buttons, sliders and flaps move even if they don't do anything.

- Mostly great selection of games but with some notable exceptions.

Lag issues aside, that seems pretty damned good to me. I'd like to see a comparison of the lag between the systems, because in my experience the SNES Mini's lag was very low to the point that I couldn't notice it, and I often notice these things.

That said, I don't particularly want a MegaDrive Mini as it's a system I already had growing up (unlike the SNES, which I didn't), I've been happily emulating MD on other devices, and I can't justify more plastic crap under the TV.

It looks good, though.

Hey, what happened to that "enhanced" (cropped) widescreen option where the games were modified to move HUD elements closer to the middle of the screen? No mention of that in the review.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind getting one as long as it can be hacked.

I've been playing Megadrive stuff of the SNES Classic which works great except the save states can be hit and miss.

However, it would be nice to just keep my snes classic for snes and megadrive for megadrive stuff.

39 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

Hey, what happened to that "enhanced" (cropped) widescreen option where the games were modified to move HUD elements closer to the middle of the screen? No mention of that in the review.

I would like to know too! Either this is something that only certain games do (perhaps Sonic 2) or it was bullshit or lost in translation.

58 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

plastic crap under the TV.

:o

Get rid of your PS4 or Xbox or whatever then. This (Japanese version) is the best looking piece of 'plastic crap' ever made. It, along with black ash stereo cabinets with black tinted glass doors*, might be the most '90s thing ever.

*My sister's one had a 'I killed Laura Palmer' sticker on it, which won it the 'most '90s thing ever' award at a recent vote.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

There will be a small period of time now when we will just enjoy having the consoles and playing what's on there - and then the hacking conversation will start. I am as always fascinated to see how quickly it happens.

Can we just ban hacking conversations? The SNES mini was a great opportunity to reconnect and talk about some classic games instead the whole thread was just ruined by hacking talk and  ‘I’ve just downloaded 101 games that I’ll never play’. 

I don’t know about everyone else but I want to hear about everyone’s first experiences with Darius, how gunstar heroes holds up today etc. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jazz Glands said:

My god I want one of those so bad. What’s the best way of getting one to the UK, preferably without being stung with custom charges? 

Amazon.co.jp? You’ll have to (pre) pay Customs but you won’t get stung with the bullshit admin fees as it should sail through. 

• Upvote 1