rllmuk
MW_Jimmy

Megadrive Mini - Emulation by M2, Menu Music by Yuzo Koshiro, 42 Games (Listed in 1st Post)

Where can I get an Asian version one for shipping to the UK, without it costing the earth? Or failing that, just the first part will do. I presume the Asian version has the same styling as the JP one? We had a JP import MD so not having one that looked how I remember would be weird. Mind you, we also had 3 button joypads but they were the crap part anyway. 

3 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Where can I get an Asian version one for shipping to the UK, without it costing the earth? Or failing that, just the first part will do. I presume the Asian version has the same styling as the JP one? We had a JP import MD so not having one that looked how I remember would be weird. Mind you, we also had 3 button joypads but they were the crap part anyway. 

I have the same question! Play Asia has sold out of its allocation and I literally don't know of any trustworthy alternative!

I thought I'd gotten out of the habit of buying pointless plastic tat but I've ordered one of these with the stack add-ons. It's just too adorable.

• Upvote 1

On 07/06/2019 at 07:33, BoggyB said:

I thought I'd gotten out of the habit of buying pointless plastic tat but I've ordered one of these with the stack add-ons. It's just too adorable.

Out of curiosity where did you order from?

On 06/06/2019 at 10:27, stefcha said:

On 06/06/2019 at 10:32, MW_Jimmy said:

I have the same question! Play Asia has sold out of its allocation and I literally don't know of any trustworthy alternative!

Same question here as well! I've been out of the importing game for quite a while now so have lost touch with who to go to. I vowed I would never use Play-Asia again after an order went missing some years ago which they refused to acknowledge and sort out leaving me out of pocket so in a way I'm glad they're "out of stock", but I realise that I may have to bite the bullet with them further down the line if I want an Asian version. Does anyone know of another reputable online retailer where an Asian version could be ordered?

17 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Was tempted to put down a pre-order but just bought Mega Drive Classics for the switch for £12 instead, which has better games imo.

M2 Vs D3T. No contest. Enjoy your rubbish emulation!

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

M2 Vs D3T. No contest. Enjoy your rubbish emulation!

Im playing the games and cant tell a difference between them and the games i played back in the day.

And the wife wouldnt be happy if i had another lump of cheap plastic on the TV cabinet. ;)

(Counting down the days until my step daughter gets the fuck out and i can have my man cave for cheap plastic shit)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

To be fair, D3T did a pretty good job with that compilation, but having played Sonic back to back with M2's version on the same platform for a forthcoming video...

Well let's just say I own said collection, most of the games on PC and I've still pre-ordered a mini.

I wouldn't defend M2 that much alas. They don't add 50hz versions as a choice in the Sega Ages releases so far which sadly, to me, makes them imperfect.

• Upvote 1

I was very disappointed with the Mega Drive Collection for the Switch. I'd already built up that collection on Steam through various sales, but I wanted the Switch release for the portability. It's alright in docked mode, but portable is awful. It's the pixel scaling on the Switch's 720p screen. There's no pixel interpolation at all (unless you want full bilinear blur-o-vision). Mega Drive games are known for their grainy look, and the bad pixel scaling ruins it. Then you also notice that the input lag is only just tolerable, and there are some frameskips in places. 

The worst part is knowing that they're just never going to fix it. No patch. They don't care.

3 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I was very disappointed with the Mega Drive Collection for the Switch. I'd already built up that collection on Steam through various sales, but I wanted the Switch release for the portability. It's alright in docked mode, but portable is awful. It's the pixel scaling on the Switch's 720p screen. There's no pixel interpolation at all (unless you want full bilinear blur-o-vision). Mega Drive games are known for their grainy look, and the bad pixel scaling ruins it. Then you also notice that the input lag is only just tolerable, and there are some frameskips in places. 

The worst part is knowing that they're just never going to fix it. No patch. They don't care.

That's not unfair, and of course a problem that M2's Sonic solves.

I don't think I saw frameskips in Sonic but it DOES certainly slow down where the Mega Drive did, which isn't an issue with M2's one.

This video goes a bit more in-depth into the settings. It's pretty bare bones but the coolest feature by far is that the 16:9 option is viable as M2 have ensured that proportions are correct by zooming in slightly, cropping the top and bottom a little, and (the cool part) redraws the UI elements to make sure they fit.

• Upvote 6

34 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm presuming the pack in ones don't have the shoulder buttons.

Well just to confuse things further, they are bringing these out in August which are USB but only 6 buttons/mode and branded to work with the MD mini. They've already confirmed the existing pads will work (including the Saturn variants) so not worth rebuying IMO.

710rqdGRO+L._SL1500_.jpg

I own a real Genesis with the x7 Everdrive and every ROM on it hooked up to a Sony PVM CRT. 

I own an Analogue Mega SG with the hacked firmware and every ROM loaded onto it.

...and still, I am totally hyped for this Megadrive Mini and got my pre-order in! 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I own a real Genesis with the x7 Everdrive and every ROM on it hooked up to a Sony PVM CRT. 

I own an Analogue Mega SG with the hacked firmware and every ROM loaded onto it.

...and still, I am totally hyped for this Megadrive Mini and got my pre-order in! 

high fooking five, bro.

the excitement of owning a new (old) piece of sega manufactured hardware in 2019 is just too much.

In the E3 video above they showed they even have the removable plastic on the expansion port. Lovely attention to detail that wasn't expected.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

This video goes a bit more in-depth into the settings. It's pretty bare bones but the coolest feature by far is that the 16:9 option is viable as M2 have ensured that proportions are correct by zooming in slightly, cropping the top and bottom a little, and (the cool part) redraws the UI elements to make sure they fit.

I still won't want to play it like that but if anyone wondered why kind of turbo nerds M2 are, that's what kind of turbonerds M2 are.

• Upvote 3