rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

3 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Had to quote this part because the soundtrack really is absolutely perfect.  Haunting, yet never intrusive - just superb. 

Agree about the soundtrack, i had to check as I thought it sounded like Cristobal Tapia de Veer's work on the Utopia score. I've never heard of Hildur Guðnadóttir's music before but I'll be checking her work out as it just fits so well to the mood of the show.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

Agree about the soundtrack, i had to check as I thought it sounded like Cristobal Tapia de Veer's work on the Utopia score. I've never heard of Hildur Guðnadóttir's music before but I'll be checking her work out as it just fits so well to the mood of the show.

She's fascinating. Writes music from the script.

Went to the place they filmed this in Lithuania and recorded sound there to use in the film. Used to collaborate with Johann Johannsson.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

That was a shattering episode - heartbreaking and, at times, genuinely painful to watch. I'm actually quite glad that we need to wait a week between episodes as this is too powerful to binge on, I appreciate having the calm down, thinking, space between episodes.

I'd echo the sentiments regarding the soundtrack - it's a perfect mix of understated tension that is almost always present but never intrudes on, or overdoes, the drama. It is often hard to differentiate the score from the ambient environmental sounds, especially when they are close to machinery/the failed reactor, which I'm sure is deliberate. A highlight last night (episode 3) was the introduction of the choral element towards the end, a device that can be a little cheap and heavy handed when mis-used, but last night it was beautiful and perfect for the context.

This is a series that is destined to stand up there with the best TV drama ever made. 

All the field recordings were made in the power plant before anything was filmed.

Amazingly done.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, sofasurfer said:

I had no idea it was Guðnadóttir, should have checked the credits! 

She is awesome and has been for many years. Worked with a lot of very impressive bands notably  Pan Sonic and Mum and lately, Sunn's two albums for this year, but her quietly dramatic solo recordings are magnificent.

5 minutes ago, Festoon said:

She's fascinating. Writes music from the script.

Went to the place they filmed this in Lithuania and recorded sound there to use in the film. Used to collaborate with Johann Johannsson.

Yeah, she is very impressive. The field recordings explain that overlap between ambient and score I was feeling then...

On a (broadly) similar musical tip, I highly recommend the ambient sounds of Abul Mogard, a Serbian fella who spent his life working in a factory before getting into making music in his retirement. He uses old analog synths to create beautiful, unsettling, records that reflect the soundscapes of this working environment. 

• Upvote 1

Usually I'm the cynic who wades in to point out the flaws when things are getting too hyped, but this show here is a perfect example of why I have such high standards and I moan so much. This really is utterly spellbinding TV. Every department is knocking it out of the park. This is what can be achieved when a production really tries its best. 

Fucking amazing.

• Upvote 7

I love the sound on this, crank it right up with a sub woofer.

How cool and terrifying was the noise those little hand cranked torches made !

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

I thought that'd have been the geiger counters, rather than the torches.

Geiger counters do make a terrifying noise, very Silent Hill radioesque.

Dont think so,  the geiger counters were doing their crackly thing but each squeeze of the little dynamo torches made a weird noise, especially if they pumped them more frantically as they went out

• Upvote 1

Anyone know anything about the helicopter that crashed in episode 2? It didn't collide with anything but you can see the rotors coming apart. 

It looks to be carrying sand/boron though. When did they start dropping that in real life? Not a couple of months later surely?

I thought it happened but it wasn't the first one. Not sure though.

And I'm not sure if the pilot just fucked up and hit it, or he got such a high dose by accidentally going over the reactor he lost control.

Apparently the crash was 2 October, with the reactor accident being 26 April. Choppers were apparently on firefighting runs until the end of the year.

1 hour ago, AI1 said:

It hit a crane cable.

Jesus christ! :o

Good find. Watching the episode I first thought the radiation cooked  the rotors or something similar. 

35 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Jesus christ! :o

Good find. Watching the episode I first thought the radiation cooked  the rotors or something similar. 

It would be more likely to take out electronics but I’m not sure how much of that there would be on a MIL-8. 

2 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Was that the grave of Marie Curie they allowed focus of at the burial?

What a woman. And family in general. 

No, Curie is buried in Paris.

Incidentally she, like the Chernobyl firefighters, was buried in a lead lined coffin as her body was radioactive at death. All her notebooks and effects are similarly highly radioactive and stored in lead lined boxes. Research visitors need to sign a waiver and wear protective gear before being allowed access to them and will need to do so for the next 1500 years or so...

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, Mike S said:

No, Curie is buried in Paris.

Incidentally she, like the Chernobyl firefighters, was buried in a lead lined coffin as her body was radioactive at death. All her notebooks and effects are similarly highly radioactive and stored in lead lined boxes. Research visitors need to sign a waiver and wear protective gear before being allowed access to them and will need to do so for the next 1500 years or so...

She was moved to Paris in the 90s. 

4 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

She was moved to Paris in the 90s. 

She was moved to the Pantheon in 1995 in order to honour her significant scientific achievements. Before that she was still buried in Paris, albeit somewhere a little more suburban..

• Upvote 1

Watching this now. Powerful, terrifying, heartbreaking, brilliant. 

It's like an utterly scary horror film, only real. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, amc said:

Watching this now. Powerful, terrifying, heartbreaking, brilliant. 

It's like an utterly scary horror film, only real. 

It is completely coldly nightmarish. Everything about it works. The fact its Russia, the fact its cold, the fact its invisible, the fact its supposed to be the future. The fact its true. 

It is essentially a perfect microcosm of storytelling. Like Grave of the Fireflies or Threads, . 

I don't know whats gonna happen next but I think we're being delivered some exceptional storytelling with this one. It feels important.

• Upvote 1

Utterly gripping television. I can't remember a series similar, where I was so invested in a relatively slow-paced drama. It's absolutely captivated me.

Watched episode three. The absolute peak of any medium for me. I kind of feel guilty at how much I enjoyed it, but this is mesmerising, utterly immersive viewing. Can we say it's the best horror drama ever made without sounding insensitive and crass? It's difficult to talk about. I've never felt such sickening anxiety, panic, fear sorrow and sympathy all at once. It pushes every button hard but it's so respectful to its source material.

Thank Christ for the bit of levity at the end of the first scene with the miners. Like Leonard Cohen said "There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in" -  I really needed to feel something other than complete paralysis and dread at that point. Incredible pacing and timing.

A total masterpiece.

• Upvote 9

24 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Can we say it's the best horror drama ever made without sounding insensitive and crass?

As for being the best I must wait until I've seen it all, but who needs to be afraid of the boogeyman, the devil, the monster in the closet or a God when we, the humans, are able to shrug off war, famine, disease and this man-made shit :(

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It pushes every button hard but it's so respectful to its source material.

Absolutely.

There is a haunting, naturalistic, minimalism to everything  - the acting,  the score, the special effects, but most importantly in the scripting. Just thinking back to the first episode and the reactor blowing - the way that was portrayed was the mark of a brave and confident production, one refusing to pander to TV drama sensationalism. There was none of the pyrotechnical extravaganzas, flying rubble, panicked burning figures, etc, etc that we might have expected - just a silent fireball and the assumption by those watching from a relative distance that it was only a small problem and that everything would be fine. In hindsight that was the show very much setting its stallsout.

I also like how infrequently the camera dwells on the reactor  itself -  the wrecked building is barely seen, or just lurks in the background ominously and is all the more potent for it. I'm sure other directors would be tempted to zoom in and try to visualize the pulsing, melting core and it would be awful.

I agree that this is shaping up to be the best horror drama ever made and that's not crass at all.  Even if it drops a beat between now and the end (which I very much doubt will be the case) this is certainly the most thought provoking TV drama I can recall - there is so much to think about and to discuss.

• Upvote 3