rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

3 hours ago, Pete said:

They obviously decided to start the show at the explosion for a reason though, maybe later episodes will look into the cause more. I hope so anyway.

Starting at the explosion is discussed in the first podcast - they said that the explosion itself isn't the interesting part, it's the events around it that are. It's really worth a listen.

They will go back to the build up to the explosion in later eps apparently. In podcast 2 they also discuss how the former shoe-factory worker turned party boss (played by one of the sons from ancient scouse sitcom Bread, I believe) is a realistic representation of how the humble worker did indeed rise to bureaucratic power quite frequently.

The rule is this: whenever you doubt the veracity of anything in the show, listen to the corresponding podcast because they deal with it, and they're utterly honest when they've (very rarely) tweaked things or combined characters for the purpose and practicalities of a TV show. For example, the Emily Watson character is a fictional blend of multiple scientists, but what she says and how her institute discovered the isotope and warned the Jared Harris character about his sand/boron plan is all well documented.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Starting at the explosion is discussed in the first podcast - they said that the explosion itself isn't the interesting part, it's the events around it that are. It's really worth a listen.

Thanks, I've just listened and it's really fantastic, very comprehensive and interesting. This is really good way of dramatising an event and doing it justice historically, I hope this becomes a thing.

Looking forward to watching it again after I've listened to the podcast, I missed the first time that the workers knew they would die if they looked in the core, I just thought they were being stupid but the logic that you're dead either way makes sense. The horror of that situation is portrayed brilliantly. The depiction of the burning core was brilliant too, I'd love to know how they came up with that.

This was utterly fascinating and intensely horrifying. Despite growing up around the time of the explosion, I never really knew much about the details as shown here. The demonstration of the escalation of ignoring a simple fact (the dosimeter reading) and the implications of that on decision-making were so frustrating to watch.

This looked and sounded amazing; something I wasn't really expecting (I went in blind without watching the trailer).

I'm going to watch this documentary later too; minute-by-minute reconstruction leading up to the explosion.

Posters on ResetEra have put together some helpful character images and profiles, if you (like me) have found it tricky to keep up with the main players.

DdQi2lX.png

szVXIZC.png

Dyatlov: Deputy Chief Engineer. Gave the orders to the staff carrying out the experiment. Disregarded some key safety guidelines for the test, particularly those related to the power level necessary for stable operation.

Akimov: Night Shift Lead. Wanted to abort the test early due to unstable reactor conditions but was overruled. Was the person who finally activated the emergency shutdown, but it was too late and backfired due to a design flaw and ultimately triggered the explosion. Suffered a fatal dose of radiation while opening emergency pump valves.

Toptunov: Reactor Operator. Responsible for the actual movement of control rods in the reactor, which controlled the power level. Also wanted to shut down the test once the power level began to fluctuate wildly. Suffered a fatal dose of radiation while opening emergency pump valves with Akimov.

Stolyarchuk: Pump Operator. Noted irregular/insufficient water levels in the separator drums during the experiment. Survived the incident.

Bryukhanov: Plant Manager

Fomin: Chief Engineer

Perevozchenko: Foreman. Personally witnessed the shield on top of the reactor moving wildly shortly before the explosion but could not reach the control room to report it until after it already exploded. Suffered a fatal dose of radiation while searching for co-workers.

Yuvchenko: Held open the door to the reactor room for 2 junior technicians who had been ordered to manually lower the control rods (after the reactor had already exploded). While all 3 suffered what should have been fatal doses, Yuvchenko survived with serious injuries.

Stinikov: Deputy Chief Operational Engineer. Filled in for Dyatlov on the night of the incident after the latter fell ill. Suffered a fatal dose of radiation while observing damage from the roof.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Commander Jameson said:

I'm going to watch this documentary later too; minute-by-minute reconstruction leading up to the explosion

It's been recommended a few times in this thread but the accompanying podcast is essential listening. 

• Upvote 3

Watched the second episode yesterday, fantastic stuff going from confusion through denial to realisation. That end scene, when it cut to credits I actually found myself on the edge of my seat. First time that's not just been a saying

• Upvote 1

Utterly gripping. They’ve done such a good job with this.

I was fascinated and horrified when it happened because I was heavily into physics so had a good idea how bad it could get.

• Upvote 1

On 16/05/2019 at 07:48, Nosejam said:

I have these recorded, sounds like a pretty grim watch; presumably it would it be unsuitable for our 13 y/o daughter? 

On 16/05/2019 at 07:51, jonamok said:

There’s not that much gore really. No profanity. Just a lot of tension and existential dread. A lot.

On 16/05/2019 at 08:01, Pob said:

Oh hang on I thought this would be full of grimly realistic body horror from people exposed to radiation? That’s the only thing putting me off - I’m a wuss with that kind of thing. 

Tension and existential dread I’m fine with. 

No, this has some really disturbing scenes. And there’ll be more to come as people get sicker. 

No way I’d let a child see this subject matter and the repercussions, especially as its real. It’s quite terrifying. I’d except a child to worry after watching it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7
  • Empathy 1

10 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

No, this has some really disturbing scenes. And there’ll be more to come as people get sicker. 

No way I’d let a child see this subject matter and the repercussions, especially as its real. It’s quite terrifying. I’d except a child to worry after watching it. 

We saw Threads at that age and it didn't mess us up. 

Much 

• Upvote 5

It would of given me nightmares as a kid, but given that it did happen and the respect it shows to the events there's an argument to say it should be shown to children.

Especially as they'll have to clean up the mess from the next accident. That's not a joke, in end times Britain anyone who has watched this will be considered qualified to deal with nuclear waste.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, cassidy said:

We saw Threads at that age and it didn't mess us up. 

Much 

I’m very glad I’d missed that till I was an adult. No chance I’d rewatch it now as it’s too depressing. 

• Downvote 1

Literally shows a suicide. Just, no. Probably going to be birth defects and disfigurements. Death. Fear. Bleh. 

Can’t wait for Tuesday lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7
  • Empathy 1

4 hours ago, NexivRed said:

Literally shows a suicide. Just, no. Probably going to be birth defects and disfigurements. Death. Fear. Bleh. 

Can’t wait for Tuesday lol. 

Do you think a thirteen year old wouldn't be aware of suicide as a concept? 

42 minutes ago, Raoull duke said:

Do you think a thirteen year old wouldn't be aware of suicide as a concept? 

What sort of question is that, and what does it have to do with setting and showing the scene of it happening. 

• Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

What sort of question is that, and what does it have to do with setting and showing the scene of it happening. 

My point was that you can't keep kids safe from unpleasant ideas. They already know about all the stuff you would like to keep them from. Seeing someone on a TV show hanging themselves isn't really any different than knowing that sometimes people hang themselves. Is it? 

8 minutes ago, Raoull duke said:

My point was that you can't keep kids safe from unpleasant ideas.

Yes, actually you can take pretty decent action to shield them from unnecessary things such as suicide whilst young. 

And when they happen to be exposed to it, you can explain it to them in an age appropriate way. 

They already know about all the stuff you would like to keep them from.

Just....what? Every child? All the stuff? No they don’t. It’s suicide. Like rape, they’ll find out eventually. But I doubt the best way is to have to pause a TV show depicting it in a tense, depressing and hopeless way, to explain what the man is doing. 

Seeing someone on a TV show hanging themselves isn't really any different from knowing that sometimes people hang themselves. Is it? 

Yes, yes it is. Actually seeing something tends to make it more vivid than just a thought.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

To the second point you addressed I wasn't suggesting that a thirteen year old kid knows about every single thing you would like them not know about. I just meant all the obvious stuff.

To all your other points I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree. 

I think it's best not to lie to kids as much as possible. People die. Bad things happen. The world is not as you might like it to be. 

Thirteen is right about when I think that unpleasant honesty should begin. 

But whatever. It's none of my business how anyone raises their kids. 

• Upvote 2

I accidentally drank most of my Chernobyl wine during my rewatch of the last episode. Only have like a glass and a half, and a can of Harp in reserve for this episode. 

But let me tell you about how you should let your kids watch it sober...

Not at all, hence why we should speak with them and discuss such matters. Make them understand why someone would ever go to the lengths to even think about ending their own life.