rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

3 hours ago, Mike S said:

The meltdown had the potential to cause a secondary steam explosion had it reached the pool of water below the reactor which, potentially, would have been devastating to the entire plant.

That's why the three men were sent to drain the pool.

Ah yeah of course, forgot that was the reason they did that.

6 hours ago, macosx said:

BLURAY is up on Amazon

For pre-order or is it out? It's my Dad's birthday this weekend, he's going to really like it. 

5 minutes ago, LeighCb said:

For pre-order or is it out? It's my Dad's birthday this weekend, he's going to really like it. 

Preorder for July

Just got around to watching the last episode of this. Amazing from start to finish, as harrowing and awful as it was to suffer through. It conveys how truly terrifying radiation is more than anything I’ve ever seen on the screen.

The bit at the end with the fates of all the characters and that music. I started welling up, and I’m pretty much dead inside. 

• Upvote 2

I came away from episode four feeling it is the most quietly sombre episode so far, but still contains all the things that make the series so good. The Harris-Skarsgard-Watson axis is immensely watchable; would be slightly reductive to say this a career highlight for each because they've all done plenty of good work previously, but they all pitch their performances perfectly for the material. They'll be the frontrunners for platitudes, yet this is one of those rare series where there is no weak link. Just a joy in terms of craft.

The episode also marks the first time ever that I haven't been slightly put out by the killing of dogs on screen. Think in some ways there is a mercy to their culling that just isn't available to the humans. Was so tense during the roof clean-up scenes, feeling overwhelming dread when it looked like one 'biorobot' might be about to cut his life expectancy to around two weeks.

Grim, compelling, staggering television.

So having watched it all now (and cancelled my free 7-day NOW TV subscription), I really did like it. I found it actually improved for me in the later episodes. In the first couple I was always comparing it to the BBC Surviving Chernobyl episode and whilst I did like this, I found the former had more impact during those initial critical moments and immediate aftermath. Saying that, this goes into much more detail and I appreciated it for going into the role of the miners and liquidators which the BBC skipped entirely. I also really liked the side story of the conscript tasked with shooting animals and how that would effect someone. The acting was top-notch and found the Valery and Boris relationship worked really well. Finally going into the detail they went into with explaining exactly how it happened brought new light to the event for me which I was unaware of.

Definitely recommend it, though be aware this will expire in a day on Now TV so no point in subscribing if you're after that. Much like Game of Thrones which also disappeared :(

• Upvote 1

On 17/06/2019 at 16:04, DeciderVT said:

Appreciate you putting it out but I'd record it to a digital format and burn it to a CD if I did have one, so a vinyl record would be something I'd only use once. (I only tend to buy vinyl if it comes with a download code or something, largely to support a release.) Next best thing to hope for is a FLAC or WAV release, I suppose. :(

This whole thing has had such a great impact (and the soundtrack is nominated for an EMMY) so we're now releasing an official CD version on 2nd August.

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, David Heath said:

This whole thing has had such a great impact (and the soundtrack is nominated for an EMMY) so we're now releasing an official CD version on 2nd August.

Great news- it deserves that Emmy! I was pleasantly surprised to recently find out that Chris Watson was also involved in the recording.

This is out now on Blu Ray.  I knew it was going to be good, but the first two episodes are absolutely mind blowing.  Only shame is that there is no making of included.  I'll go back over the thread when I'm done.

1 hour ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

This is out now on Blu Ray.  I knew it was going to be good, but the first two episodes are absolutely mind blowing.  Only shame is that there is no making of included.  I'll go back over the thread when I'm done.

There were short behind the scenes extras shown after the credits when it was broadcast, if you're thinking of those, so they may be there as part of the episodes rather than a separate extra.

You should definitely check out the official podcast if you haven't already. It's absolutely fascinating, and a perfect companion to the show.

• Upvote 3

Just watched the last episode. What a harrowing, shocking, detailed, eye-opening account of that catastrophe. Congratulations to producers, actors, researchers and everyone else involved in this series.

• Upvote 4