rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

What an amazing piece of work. I knew a bit about it all before hand as I'd done some reading over the years, so we paused the first episode a couple of times to explain some things to my other half but I obviously didn't know everything, like others have said, I listened to the podcast after each episode and think the writer made pretty much the correct choices on what to include or leave out of his creative choices.

Because this show is so rich with information, the 2nd viewing is actually better than the 1st.

I picked up a LOT more the 2nd time around.

• Upvote 1

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/entertainment/celebrity/scots-chernobyl-star-blames-uncles-16524163?_ga=2.24364794.1149073408.1560668670-94166632.1560668669

Alex Ferns, who played the miner's foreman, believes his uncle fell victim to poisoned rain from Chernobyl. He and the rest of his crew working for the Scottish Water Board were working in the rain a few days after the explosion, a time when it is known the area had radioactive material fall on it. The entire crew eventually died of cancer before reaching 50.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

I've been watching and rewatching Legasov's evidence at the trial. It's compelling TV; even though it's just a man just placing coloured boards on a stand and talking science stuff.

Amongst the other quality moments, I love his little embarrassed smile as he picks up the dropped board and his proclamation of "And it is beautiful.".

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

I've been watching and rewatching Legasov's evidence at the trial. It's compelling TV; even though it's just a man just placing coloured boards on a stand and talking science stuff.

Amongst the other quality moments, I love his little embarrassed smile as he picks up the dropped board and his proclamation of "And it is beautiful.".

I might have missed it on the podcast, but I wasn't clear where the cards came from.  Was this something they made up, something Legasov used another time or something used at the trial by someone else (since he wasn't there)?  

Still awesome TV mind.  As was the microphone move.

Just now, monkeydog said:

I might have missed it on the podcast, but I wasn't clear where the cards came from.  Was this something they made up, something Legasov used another time or something used at the trial by someone else (since he wasn't there)?  

Still awesome TV mind.  As was the microphone move.

They made it up, legasov didn't speak at the trial at all and no one used visual prompts like that.

• Upvote 1

What would have been the outcome had they not prevented the further explosion of the reactor?

What impact would it have had on the planet?

On 05/06/2019 at 13:14, DeciderVT said:

Disappointed (but not surprised) to discover that there doesn't appear to be a physical release of this soundtrack on the horizon yet.

We released this soundtrack and I can tell you there will be a vinyl on 6th September!

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, David Heath said:

We released this soundtrack and I can tell you there will be a vinyl on 6th September!

Any chance of a CD? I don't have a record player.

38 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Any chance of a CD? I don't have a record player.

Afraid not, but treat yourself to a record player; it'll sound incredible, I promise!

21 minutes ago, David Heath said:

Afraid not, but treat yourself to a record player; it'll sound incredible, I promise!

Appreciate you putting it out but I'd record it to a digital format and burn it to a CD if I did have one, so a vinyl record would be something I'd only use once. (I only tend to buy vinyl if it comes with a download code or something, largely to support a release.) Next best thing to hope for is a FLAC or WAV release, I suppose. :(

1 hour ago, David Heath said:

What would have been the outcome had they not prevented the further explosion of the reactor?

What impact would it have had on the planet?

They went through that in one of the scenes with Gorbachev. Basically it would've made many countries uninhabitable for the rest of time.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, there's a line about Ukraine and Belarus being uninhabitable for at least 100 years, and the shock wave carrying the radiation to at least Latvia, Romania and East Germany, with increased rates of cancer and birth defects.

And in episode 3, they tell the miners that the water from Kyiv to the Black Sea would be poisoned forever.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeciderVT said:

Appreciate you putting it out but I'd record it to a digital format and burn it to a CD if I did have one, so a vinyl record would be something I'd only use once. (I only tend to buy vinyl if it comes with a download code or something, largely to support a release.) Next best thing to hope for is a FLAC or WAV release, I suppose. :(

There is already a CD quality FLAC release or you can stream at that, or higher, quality via Tidal..

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/pdkm83/hildur-gunadttir-chernobyl-music-from-the-original-tv-series

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

They went through that in one of the scenes with Gorbachev. Basically it would've made many countries uninhabitable for the rest of time.

And that is without the possible catastrophic effects on the other three reactors had Reactor Four exploded and damaged them too. 

There was potential for a significant global impact rather than a regional one.

19 minutes ago, Mike S said:

And that is without the possible catastrophic effects on the other three reactors had Reactor Four exploded and damaged them too. 

There was potential for a significant global impact rather than a regional one.

There wasn't a risk of it exploding, was there? The risk was from the meltdown.

1 hour ago, Cool Ben said:

Didn't sheep in Wales have issues too or was that something completely different?

And the south of Scotland. The radioactive material would generally wind up on the high areas where sheep graze so they had to check them for radiation and any who were going a bit glowey would be quarantined to the farm until they dropped to a safe level.

They stopped testing in 2010.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sponge said:

There wasn't a risk of it exploding, was there? The risk was from the meltdown.

The meltdown had the potential to cause a secondary steam explosion had it reached the pool of water below the reactor which, potentially, would have been devastating to the entire plant.

That's why the three men were sent to drain the pool.