rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

That dude above also claims that the show depicts radiation making the helicopter blow up rather than hitting a crane cable, despite that being exactly what happens. They just changed the timing of when it happened for dramatic effect.

10 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

That dude above also claims that the show depicts radiation making the helicopter blow up rather than hitting a crane cable, despite that being exactly what happens. They just changed the timing of when it happened for dramatic effect.

Argh and I kerraig again. 

The show CLEARLY suggests the radiation destroys the chopper. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 11

8 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Argh and I kerraig again. 

The show CLEARLY suggests the radiation destroys the chopper. 

Here's the scene from the episode. The blades of the helicopter hit the chain coming from the crane:

Footage of the original crash shows the same:

7 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

Here's the scene from the episode. The blades of the helicopter hit the chain coming from the crane:

Footage of the original crash shows the same:

Uh huh. They recreated the crash brilliantly. Now post the previous 15 mins of the show for context

• Upvote 1

Yeah it's definitely implied that something went wrong with either the pilot or helicopter as a result of getting too close, and that's what caused the crash.

• Upvote 4

Don't fly close, don't fly over, they're too close, crash. It shows it hit, but they really stress radiation would cause it.

24 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Uh huh. They recreated the crash brilliantly. Now post the previous 15 mins of the show for context

I do agree. IIRC, much of the talk prior to the crash was about flying too close to the radiation in the smoke. 

No they don’t. The radiation didn’t have an effect. It was flying smoothly the whole time until it hit the crane. Telling them not to fly directly over is a separate, and also real, issue. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

No they don’t. The radiation didn’t have an effect. It was flying smoothly the whole time until it hit the crane. Telling them not to fly directly over is a separate, and also real, issue. 

This is what I'm dealing with the whole time. 

No John. They alluded. Like a motherfucker. Yes we see them hit the crane. But if you think they didn't allude then you are kidding yourself. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Watching that scene again on YouTube it is clear that it hits the cables, but I must admit that when I watched the episode, I thought it had failed due to the radiation. I do think that is implied in the scene, given the build up, but I don't think the intention was to deliberately mislead.

First time we (there's a Mrs MidWalian) saw that scene we thought the radiation and/or smoke affected the helicopter pilots and the crash then followed. 

So, yes, I can see how the audience can get mixed up. 

Just now, Professor Rob said:

Watching that scene again on YouTube it is clear that it hits the cables, but I must admit that when I watched the episode, I thought it had failed due to the radiation. I do think that is implied in the scene, given the build up, but I don't think the intention was to deliberately mislead.

Not just me. 

EVERYTHING MUST BE SPELT OUT CLEARLY!

It hit the crane FFS, probably because the pilot was blinded by the huge amount of smoke he just flew straight through.

Some of you are starting to sound like that Guardian reviewer.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

I really don't think it matters that much. 

It was a great series - faultless in my opinion, not a second wasted. I was concerned about watching it after Threads mentally fucked me up for a while in my younger days, but it's a different experience. 

1 minute ago, SharkyOB said:

EVERYTHING MUST BE SPELT OUT CLEARLY!

It hit the crane FFS, probably because the pilot was blinded by the huge amount of smoke he just flew straight through.

Some of you are starting to sound like that Guardian reviewer.

Yes, I know it hit the crane. I've listened to the podcast, and I've since seen the original footage from the event, and I've watched the dramatised scene again. At the time, my impression was that either the helicopter had failed, or the pilot had succumbed in some way. It's not completely unambiguous, and there's really no need to compare us to the Guardian reviewer for not grasping exactly what had happened on first viewing.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Professor Rob said:

Yes, I know it hit the crane. I've listened to the podcast, and I've since seen the original footage from the event, and I've watched the dramatised scene again. At the time, my impression was that either the helicopter had failed, or the pilot had succumbed in some way. It's not completely unambiguous, and there's really no need to compare us to the Guardian reviewer for not grasping exactly what had happened on first viewing.

I didn't grasp it immediately either, I noticed it on second viewing.  Tbh I was more responding to Kerraig and his standard dog-with-a-bone posting style.

5 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I didn't grasp it immediately either, I noticed it on second viewing.  Tbh I was more responding to Kerraig and his standard dog-with-a-bone posting style.

You're wrong on this one. The show alluded to more than a chain on blade connection. As was it's want and right. 

Don't be so eager to get one over on me 

• Downvote 6

People need to remember this is drama for enteraintment. Not a documentary.  Artistic licence is taken, as it should be. It doesn't diminish the show if there are some historical inaccuracies for the purposes of narrative.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, kerraig UK said:

You're wrong on this one. The show alluded to more than a chain on blade connection. As was it's want and right. 

Don't be so eager to get one over on me 

I'm not, not everything is about you.

• Upvote 1

If you're arguing over a helicopter crashing because of a cable or radiation, or a cable influenced by the effects of smoke and/or radiation, then I think it shows how bloody close the show was.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, emerald fox said:

If you're arguing over a helicopter crashing because of a cable or radiation, or a cable influenced by the effects of smoke and/or radiation, then I think it shows how bloody close the show was.

Nailed it. I need to stop fighting every fight

The show is monumental 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

I'm kind of hoping that the horrific effects of such extreme radiation poisoning on the body, as depicted on the fireman & the rest, was exaggerated for dramatic effect...but I have a horrible feeling it wasn't.

Yeah looking at the image gallery someone posted around the time of episode 3 I think they actually downplayed some of the horrors!!!

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

In the show they call the pilot but hes not responding when he enters the smoke. 

42 minutes ago, MpM said:

I'm kind of hoping that the horrific effects of such extreme radiation poisoning on the body, as depicted on the fireman & the rest, was exaggerated for dramatic effect...but I have a horrible feeling it wasn't.

Dont read about Hisashi Ouchi. 

48 minutes ago, MpM said:

Yep, they held back a lot. Honestly, If I was one of the people who went out on the roof or looked directly in to the reactor, my logical brain would tell me to jump right in because the short term pain of that death would be hugely preferable to a longer, drawn out one.

15 minutes ago, Stevie said:

Dont read about Hisashi Ouchi. 

You're daring me to Google it, aren't you... :)

Nope.

Just now, MpM said:

You're daring me to Google it, aren't you... :)

Nope.

Yeah, its very grim. The damage he took from radiation was unbelievable, but what made it worse was that he was kept alive for 80 something days against his will so they could study the effects of severe radiation damage. 

This is what normal chromosones looks like

chromosomes.jpg.cc482ec2c5260de794aaa4d9be6c06b4.jpg

this is what his looked like 

Hisashi-Ouchi-Tokaimura-Nuclear-Accident-2.jpg.09bf938aaebbe8a7c1c92141867e6564.jpg

• Upvote 1