rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

1 minute ago, Robo_1 said:

So the bat signal just went up! Look, normally that would cop a 24hr ban, but the fact is @kerraig UK, you've been reported by numerous different users recently and by rights, should have been given a time out. A lot of mods have been unavailable recently so it is what it is. How about we draw a line under this, nobody gets banned but everyone just tones down the fire and fury. Cheers.

I'll not derail this thread any further with talking about @kerraig UK and his attitude but I didn't call him a cunt, just pointed out that he was acting like one. In hindsight maybe 'dick' would be more reasonable but to avoid placing myself in such a quandary in the future he's on ignore from now on.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

So the bat signal just went up! Look, normally that would cop a 24hr ban, but the fact is @kerraig UK, you've been reported by numerous different users recently and by rights, should have been given a time out. A lot of mods have been unavailable recently so it is what it is. How about we draw a line under this, nobody gets banned but everyone just tones down the fire and fury. Cheers.

With the greatest of respect Robo 1, if a ban is based on number of reports then this isn't a meritocracy. I'll happily cop a ban for talking about interesting subjects that court controversy, if that is what you wish this place to be. You're in charge.

I am interested in your use of the words 'by rights'. Are those ethical, financial, moral democratic or existential rights. 

Because from where I sit, by rights I have not done anything to offend at all. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 18

2 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

With the greatest of respect Robo 1, if a ban is based on number of reports then this isn't a meritocracy. I'll happily cop a ban for talking about interesting subjects that court controversy, if that is what you wish this place to be. You're in charge.

I am interested in your use of the words 'by rights'. Are those ethical, financial, moral democratic or existential rights. 

Because from where I sit, by rights I have not done anything to offend at all. 

I'll fire you off a quick PM.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spacehost said:

You could mention that to her I guess? Really this sounds like it's more about you and what you think this woman wants to hear than the show, maybe it should go in a different thread.

Back to the show- I'm really glad they structured it the way they did, I'm sure a lesser writer would have done it very linearly. Making it explicitly about the aftermath was a huge part of why I think it works.

Yeah I'll definitely mansplain to her that there are two female roles in the show that has a dozen great male roles. She probably missed that. 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Thor said:

You can't half be a tool sometimes, kerraig. 

I know that man, but look, some people are trying to suggest that this show has a male/female balance because there are two female characters. 

That's obviously not the case at all. I'm arguing that this doesn't matter. 

• Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

I know that man, but look, some people are trying to suggest that this show has a male/female balance because there are two female characters. 

No one was suggesting that, he was responding to the bit where you said the one female role was the fictional one. This whole thing is just a silly misunderstanding. 

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

It's the same as Spike Lee complaining about Letters from Iwo Jima Flags of our Fathers not having black soldiers when planting a flag, and Clint Eastwood saying "There weren't any because that the time, that's how it was".

In the Soviet Union, women were just about accepted in scientific positions, but really in Chernobyl throwing men at the problem was the solution.

How the hell did they make this look so realistic? Is it filmed on location? The CGI is pretty good.

The attention to detail in the office and homes, so good.

• Upvote 1

A lot of the external scenes were filmed in Lithuania where some of the architecture matches the buildings in Pripyat and a decommissioned power station is close in design to Chernobyl. This show has put me off the idea of going to Chernobyl itself as I'd feel too much of a voyeur but I'd love to see somewhere that looks like that.

Has anyone else had the same issue as me? I cannot stop thinking about this show. I've googled so much about the history behind it, I've listened to all the podcasts and I think I'm going to start watching it again from episode 1.

I'm just captivated and fascinated by the whole thing. 

Only 1 TV programme has ever done this to me before, and that was Band of Brothers. Rating it alongside such a perfect production is the highest praise I can offer.

• Upvote 7

3 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Has anyone else had the same issue as me? I cannot stop thinking about this show. I've googled so much about the history behind it, I've listened to all the podcasts and I think I'm going to start watching it again from episode 1.

Only 1 TV programme has ever done this to me before, and that was Band of Brothers. Rating it alongside such a perfect production is the highest praise I can offer.

I genuinely believe it is the best 5 hours of drama TV I've ever seen. Possibly not quite on the level of Blackadder 3&4 to me, because that requires imagination on a level I think incomparable. 

But as drama, it is peerless

Generation Kill came close for me. And house of cards (UK)

• Upvote 2

Amazon UK only has a DVD pre-order up and I'm reading that there are no plans for a Blu-ray release in the UK at all. Absolutely stupid if true, considering some of the crap that gets released.

2 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Same here, just started back on episode one last night and, having seen the final episode, it makes for a very different viewing. Can't recall ever doing that with a drama but then nothing has come close to the impact of this.

I've started reading Chernobyl: A History of Tragedy by Serhii Plokhy which really fleshes out the protagonists and the setting. 

11 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I'm not critiquing the show.

Really?:

Of course, it turns out there is, but that is the only fictional character in the whole thing, because they have to do that now.

What’s that if not (unfounded) criticism of the show? You’re saying Mazin bowed to some external pressure/expectation to put a woman in it. That is not what happened. As you apparently know from the podcast, he needed to combine dozens of scientists into one character, and in the USSR, science was one area where (his research suggests) women were fairly represented. So it made perfectly logical sense that it would be a female character. It wasn’t tokenism as you clearly imply. Sorry to dig back 10 hours, but it annoyed me. Anyway, moving on...

Possibly as egregiously, you keep mentioning Chernobyl in the same breath as Blackadder 3&4, yet Blackadder 2 is the far superior series to 3.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, jonamok said:

Really?:

What’s that if not (unfounded) criticism of the show? You’re saying Mazin bowed to some external pressure/expectation to put a woman in it. That is not what happened. As you apparently know from the podcast, he needed to combine dozens of scientists into one character, and in the USSR, science was one area where women were fairly represented. So it made perfectly logical sense that it would be a female character. It wasn’t tokenism as you clearly imply. Sorry to dig back 10 hours, but it annoyed me. Anyway, moving on...

Possibly as egregiously, you keep mentioning Chernobyl in the same breath as Blackadder 3&4, yet Blackadder 2 is the far superior series to 3.

I am only concerned with the wider point. I just went on to the IMDB page and counted 29 male roles for the first 3 female roles. 

Now, normally that would annoy me, but in this instance it is fair because of the historical accuracy.

You are suggesting I downplayed the female roles, which suggests maybe my female friend might not have a point.

I find that utterly offensive.

You're sort of weirdly suggesting this show is somehow gender balanced, despite the obvious facts staring you in the face

Stop being really really weird 

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 00.05.03.png

• Downvote 12

Absolutely sensational viewing. 

Never has somebody shuffling cards around a display board been so captivating. Can somebody please give Jared Harris his own science show right now! Along with all the awards.

Looking forward to jumping into the podcasts. ^_^

• Upvote 3

Russian tv channel NTV (owned by Gazprom) have a different take of the event in production (partially funded by the Cultural Ministry), apparently it was all a CIA agents fault.

https://bgr.com/2019/06/05/chernobyl-hbo-tv-show-russia-makes-its-own-version-a-cia-spy-story/

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2019/06/04/putins-media-struggle-to-deal-with-hbos-chernobyl-a65866

I guess the sentiment mentioned several times in the show, that the accident was an embarrassment to a nation that doesn't want to be embarrassed is still strong.Though this last line in the second link article is very telling :

The fact that an American, not a Russian, TV channel tells us about our own heroes is a source of shame that the pro-Kremlin media apparently cannot live down. And this is the real reason they find fault with HBO’s “Chernobyl” series.

Maybe they can cast a lady in the CIA agent role.

• Upvote 3

A series in which official denial and the propaganda surrounding the Chernobyl is foregrounded is to be refuted by further denial and more propaganda? Well done. :lol:

• Upvote 3

@kerraig UK I’m glad you like the show, chap. But I’ve no idea what that post means.

My only point (bar Blackadder 2 >>> 3) is that you seemed to accuse the show of tokenism in amalgamating the scientists into a female avatar rather than a male, when the show’s creator has explained how that one casting choice makes logical, historical sense. 

That’s it. Everything else you posted about casting seems to be either in response to some other argument you’re having in the thread, or out of it.

Anyway, we can all agree it was a Mazin TV.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

Some of his criticisms seem to directly contradict the testimony of people there, and while the "my baby took the radiation" thing is based on a rambling interview with a bereaved woman who survived multiple strokes it seems a bit harsh to pick on it, especially when it makes such a strong rhetorical device. There really were people's children sacrificing their lives for their parents' mistakes.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

@kerraig UK I’m glad you like the show, chap. But I’ve no idea what that post means.

My only point (bar Blackadder 2 >>> 3) is that you seemed to accuse the show of tokenism in amalgamating the scientists into a female avatar rather than a male, when the show’s creator has explained how that one casting choice makes logical, historical sense. 

That’s it. Everything else you posted about casting seems to be either in response to some other argument you’re having in the thread, or out of it.

Anyway, we can all agree it was a Mazin TV.

I have so many issues with this post, but I recognise when I am shitting up a brilliant thread of pure joy and for that I apologise. I'll shit it up no more 

This show is superb, I'm sorry I did a kerraig on it. 

• Upvote 1