rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

49 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I've been thinking a bit about the short run of this and the impact that may have.

On the one hand it's a huge critical success and the word of mouth has been very positive. As a subscriber to a network this sort of stuff makes you feel like you're getting value from the service. I'm also sure creatives with a vision with be drawn to HBO/Sky as this demonstrates they'll give you freedom to make the show you envisage if you deserve it.

On the other it looks very expensive to make, and whilst it improves the brand of HBO/Sky it isn't going to build an audience, advertising revenue for slots and a name in the way multi series shows will.

Commercially I suspect it may be one of those loss leader kind of things that is worth its cost in positive word of mouth, awards and attracting the top talent that the content creators now all fight over.

No way on Earth this show loses money.

• Upvote 2

I hate repeat watching shows or films. All about the new experiences for me, which is a little myopic. 

This will be the first time I’ve ever begun watching a series immediately after watching it. It’s utterly majestic. Method in every little detail. The respect, integrity and workmanship devoted to this series is hugely commendable. It was never about needless exposition, shock factor tricks or style over substance. Instead it was about integrity and humanity over commercial considerations. 

Jared Harris should win every award going; as should Mazin. And Stakka Bo. 

• Upvote 5

Making a TV show this good is pretty easy though, all you need is:

• Great script
  • Great acting by central performers
  • Great acting by supporting cast
  • Great direction
  • Great art direction
  • Superb soundtrack
  • Great editing
  • Seamless VFX work
  • Support from the money men to allow artistic vision room to breathe
  • ???
  • Profit

Not sure why we don't see more stuff of this caliber tbh.

• Upvote 7

13 minutes ago, hub2 said:

Making a TV show this good is pretty easy though, all you need is:

• Great script
  • Great acting by central performers
  • Great acting by supporting cast
  • Great direction
  • Great art direction
  • Superb soundtrack
  • Great editing
  • Seamless VFX work
  • Support from the money men to allow artistic vision room to breathe
  • ???
  • Profit

Not sure why we don't see more stuff of this caliber tbh.

You sort of missed out 'being based on one of the most important single events in mankinds history'

I recommended this to an actress friend of mine and her response really annoyed me. She said "are there any good female roles?"

Of course, it turns out there is, but that is the only fictional character in the whole thing, because they have to do that now. 

But this is very much a story of men. The heroes AND the villains. Because that is what this world was then. And still is to an extent. Hostory does not become irrelevant because it wasn't woke, ffs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

no, the scientist being female was explained in the podcast, she was a construct to represent all the scientists that advised/aided in the real event, and many of them were female as it was very much encouraged at the time

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Gotters said:

no, the scientist being female was explained in the podcast, she was a construct to represent all the scientists that advises/aided in the real event, and many of them were female as it was very much encouraged at the time

Yeah I'm aware of that.

I have no problem with Emily's character. She was fucking brilliant. I have no problem with composites, they are a narrative necessity.

I have a problem with a female friend potentially writing off a masterpiece of a show if it doesn't hit the diversity quota she requires to not be triggered.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Yeah I'm aware of that.

I have no problem with Emily's character. She was fucking brilliant. I have no problem with composites, they are a narrative necessity.

I have a problem with a female friend potentially writing off a masterpiece of a show if it doesn't hit the diversity quota she requires to not be triggered.

why did you say the character was a woman because they have to do that now then,  implying it was a PC woke decision and not representative of the reality 

I agree your friend sounds an idiot by the way, just not the reason the character was female from what you wrote.

31 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Of course, it turns out there is, but that is the only fictional character in the whole thing, because they have to do that now. 

And, yknow, the very real woman who lost her husband and eventually daughter as a result of radiation exposure.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Gotters said:

why did you say the character was a woman because they have to do that now then,  implying it was a PC woke decision and not representative of the reality 

I agree your friend sounds an idiot by the way, just not the reason the character was female from what you wrote.

Because in my experience it would have absolutely been a factor in the conversation. The character is a composite of many other people, some male, some female. In a story that is mostly male. Lets make this character a female.

I don't have a problem with that, but it will have been a factor. 

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Spacehost said:

And, yknow, the very real woman who lost her husband and eventually daughter as a result of radiation exposure.

Yeah, there's essentially two women in the show. The two women who are intrinsic to the story. Whats your point?

3 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Because in my experience it would have absolutely been a factor in the conversation. The character is a composite of many other people, some male, some female. In a story that is mostly male. Lets make this character a female.

I don't have a problem with that, but it will have been a factor. 

I think that’s pretty disingenuous; judging by the podcast the writer made decisions to suit the narrative rather than to appear woke. They dropped a number of scenes because they didn’t fit with the integrity of the product. 

Cramming a woman in to suit modern sensibilities seems a harsh and incorrect critique. I think the programme has done enough to demonstrate that where artistic licence was taken, it was done for narrative reasons rather than populist pandering. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I think that’s pretty disingenuous; judging by the podcast the writer made decisions to suit the narrative rather than to appear woke. They dropped a number of scenes because they didn’t fit with the integrity of the product. 

Cramming a woman in to suit modern sensibilities seems a harsh and incorrect critique. I think the programme has done enough to demonstrate that where artistic licence was taken, it was done for narrative reasons rather than populist pandering. 

I'm not critiquing the show. The show is perfect.

I'm critiquing my friends necessity for equality in a historical piece of drama.

1 hour ago, Naieve said:

It's on Amazon Prime but that seems to be it. There's a US blu-ray but it's region locked.

Not part of amazon prime, one of those shows where you have to pay £2.50 an episode or something.

1 hour ago, SharkyOB said:

Can we all make an agreement to never use the term 'woke' ever again?

Triggered much snowflake?

• Empathy 1

4 hours ago, pledge said:

Harris is also great in The Terror, if people are looking for more of him.

He really is and that was the last truly great TV show before this too...

4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

You sort of missed out 'being based on one of the most important single events in mankinds history'

I recommended this to an actress friend of mine and her response really annoyed me. She said "are there any good female roles?"

But this is very much a story of men. The heroes AND the villains. Because that is what this world was then. And still is to an extent. Hostory does not become irrelevant because it wasn't woke, ffs.

The fireman's wife.

4 hours ago, Ste Pickford said:

Not part of amazon prime, one of those shows where you have to pay £2.50 an episode or something.

ah right I had just assumed all the stuff on their on demand thing was part of Prime. Gah

21 minutes ago, Mike S said:

The fireman's wife.

Has some lines and scenes. Possibly 1/16th of the male leads. It is very telling that you think that gives balance. 

Stop being part of the problem.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

12 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Has some lines and scenes. Possibly 1/16th of the male leads. It is very telling that you think that gives balance. 

Stop being part of the problem.

You asked for 'good female roles'. You didn't ask whether it gave balance. It's very telling that you assume that was what I was attempting to offer. 

That one character though represents the grief and tragedy of everyone who lost someone through the disaster. That's a significant role. 

I would ask exactly what problem I'm a part of but know, through experience, that you never answer. 

Also, is there really any need to act as much of a cunt in this thread as you do in so many others? 

'Woke' indeed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, Mike S said:

You asked for 'good female roles'. You didn't ask whether it gave balance. It's very telling that you assume that was what I was attempting to offer. 

That one character though represents the grief and tragedy of everyone who lost someone through the disaster. That's a significant role. 

I would ask exactly what problem I'm a part of but know, through experience, that you never answer. 

Also, is there really any need to act as much of a cunt in this thread as you do in so many others? 

'Woke' indeed. 

If you count off the words spoken by men per episode Vs per women you will realise quickly that this is a male story

My female friend is asking for equivalence

You are suggesting there is equivalence

The facts will show that there is not equivalence

My argument is that a historical show truthful as this does not need to respect equivalence 

4 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

If you count off the words spoken by men per episode Vs per women you will realise quickly that this is a male story

My female friend is asking for equivalence

You are suggesting there is equivalence

The facts will show that there is not equivalence

My argument is that a historical show truthful as this does not need to respect equivalence 

I have not suggested there was equivalence at all.

'Are there any good female roles?' was your relayed question.  I offer the example of a very significant and 'good' female role that carries an awful lot of narrative weight. You then  decide that the question was actually 'is there an equivalent number of female to male roles?' which, of course, there are not because as you rightly say, that was just how it was.

I fail to understand how you could misinterpret my answer enough to accuse me of suggesting equivalence let alone of being part of 'the problem'. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I think he was just pointing out there was another female role, not that there was balance or anything. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Mike S said:

So the bat signal just went up! Look, normally that would cop a 24hr ban, but the fact is @kerraig UK, you've been reported by numerous different users recently and by rights, should have been given a time out. A lot of mods have been unavailable recently so it is what it is. How about we draw a line under this, nobody gets banned but everyone just tones down the fire and fury. Cheers.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

Yeah, there's essentially two women in the show. The two women who are intrinsic to the story. Whats your point?

You could mention that to her I guess? Really this sounds like it's more about you and what you think this woman wants to hear than the show, maybe it should go in a different thread.

Back to the show- I'm really glad they structured it the way they did, I'm sure a lesser writer would have done it very linearly. Making it explicitly about the aftermath was a huge part of why I think it works.