rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

They should do the City 40/Kyshtym disaster  accident as a prequel. 

This was amazing TV and well worth a watch - as others have mentioned the soundtrack is the mutts nutts as well. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, pledge said:

It is on Spotify

Disappointed (but not surprised) to discover that there doesn't appear to be a physical release of this soundtrack on the horizon yet. I hope it doesn't end up being some RSD curio or something.

Not enough people I know have watched this.  I'm the only person at work who has seen it - despite my crowing about it since episode 1!!  (Maybe that's why....?)

It's so frustrating when you really want to talk about a programme and there's no-one to talk to about it - besides you fine folk, obvs... 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

I've convinced 5 people at work to watch it. Some are grabbing Now TV subs in order to do so. Haven't persuaded anyone to listen to the podcast yet though - will keep trying.

Just overheard someone in my office telling a new graduate that he'd started watching the show as he was living near the plant at the time it happened. He just replied "oh ok". Hoping to find him again after my meeting.

2 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Not enough people I know have watched this.  I'm the only person at work who has seen it - despite my crowing about it since episode 1!!  (Maybe that's why....?)

It's so frustrating when you really want to talk about a programme and there's no-one to talk to about it - besides you fine folk, obvs... 

Yeah. I’ve recommended it to loads of people. Those who has seen it loves it, but some replied with «I did a search for best tv series 2019 and it wasn’t even mentioned»

I gave that search ago myself and even lists updated as late as yesterday doesn’t even seem to know it excists.

I'm still working my way through the thread to read the episode-by-episode reactions, but this sure was something. I was a wreck from the start; the shots of the party in Pripyat and the onlookers on the explosions on the bridge really got to me. The long, haunting shots of wind rustling through clotheslines, too.

Fuck, man.

I don't think I've ever been more engrossed in telly.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

I was thinking that too. I haven't met anyone who has anything bad to say about it.  

There's nothing and I repeat nothing bad about this series. It's faultless. 

5 hours ago, Shoes said:

and the onlookers on the explosions on the bridge really got to me. 

All those watching from the bridge are believed to have died.

:(

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

the original Guardian review of ep1 was incredibly sniffy, they gave it 3 out of 5, dunno what sort of idiot could do that but think the comments gave them some entirely deserved stick. Don't think she could have missed the point more.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/may/07/chernobyl-review-chaos-reigns-in-confusing-nuclear-disaster-epic

Thank fuck Mazin and co wrote and filmed the series for people like us and not for people like her.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, jonamok said:

What a fucking dickhead that reviewer is. 

I was trying to read it with an open mind and see if it raised any interesting points, but no your conclusion is accurate. She was baffled? It’s a problem when a drama series raises unanswered questions in the first ten minutes?

I understand that it was a time of chaos – and very shortly after that, lies, half-truths and obfuscations that endangered lives and protected careers – but you can’t reflect that literally in a drama

Thats literally what this drama did :quote:

But the best line is the whole review is that Ukraine has only just come into existence 

Sky Atlantic’s five-part miniseries (co-produced with HBO) dramatises the 1986 disaster at the nuclear power station in what is now Ukraine.

• Upvote 2

This series was simply astonishing from start to finish, I say ‘simply’ but it’s clearly very hard to achieve this or we’d have far more TV of this quality. The craft here is incredible In every department, I can’t fault a thing about it. I loved how brave and respectful it was, drama didn’t need to be artificially created the reality was bleak, terrifying and maddening enough that managing to capture the truth of it left me either on the edge of my seat or totally floored. Something that they achieved scene after scene. 

Spoiler

From huge moments like the brief, but agonisingly too long, time spent on the roof to the subtlety of a mans importance and stature amplified by a caterpillar. 

This series burned oh so bright and I expect will haunt me and, hopefully, a generation that didn’t grow up under a very real understanding of the dangers of nuclear power. Not one punch is pulled, but every blow delivered with finesse. Outstanding.

Oh my that review:

but delivers neither the shocking realism

Of threads apparently, even though threads never happened and this has been put together from first hand accounts and photos. I think maizan mentions this, sometimes the truth doesn't seem real to us because we're so use to tropes.

She then seems to have missed a scene where two female characters discuss the disaster and it's nothing to worry about. She seems to have missed the point, thank God they didn't make this show for film studies graduates.

I've been thinking a bit about the short run of this and the impact that may have.

On the one hand it's a huge critical success and the word of mouth has been very positive. As a subscriber to a network this sort of stuff makes you feel like you're getting value from the service. I'm also sure creatives with a vision with be drawn to HBO/Sky as this demonstrates they'll give you freedom to make the show you envisage if you deserve it.

On the other it looks very expensive to make, and whilst it improves the brand of HBO/Sky it isn't going to build an audience, advertising revenue for slots and a name in the way multi series shows will.

Commercially I suspect it may be one of those loss leader kind of things that is worth its cost in positive word of mouth, awards and attracting the top talent that the content creators now all fight over.

• Upvote 1