rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

7 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

That's a really good point - I agree that they couldn't have made it any better.

And I want them to release the soundtrack. 

It is on Spotify

• Upvote 3

Unbelievable, I'll be happy if I see anything that compares any time soon. The pervading 'nothing to see here' from start to finish was bewildering and terrifying. Couldn't believe the divers who volunteered to go into the darkness ended up surviving it, nice to have at least a little ray of sunlight.

Have to say that they also did a very good job of naturally explaining how the reactor worked and the high-level technical details of the incident, without overly leaning into lengthy or condescending exposition. It was so beautifully woven into the writing.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely phenomenal television.

As I said before, all the awards - give it to them.

Words can't convey how I feel about Dyatlov. Maybe a gif:

tenor.gif?itemid=14220089

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, And said:

Amazing. 

Harris is fantastic. 

Reveal hidden contents

“They should put that on our money”

Totally brilliant tv. Why can’t we have more like this?

They're doing Fukushima next.

I’m maybe half into episode 2 and this is... I can’t really put it into words without it sounding like I’m being entertained or something. I’m not. It has an otherworldly, eldrich quality to it. This invisible monster mankind has summoned unto itself.

• Upvote 5

The odd thing is - although it's brilliant, I couldn't binge watch all 5 at once. I've been pleased to have had a week between episodes! 

It's quite hard hitting as well as being information overload. And with the superb podcast to enjoy between episodes, I'm pleased its been a weekly thing rather than a Netflix-esque release.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, And said:

Amazing. 

Harris is fantastic. 

Hide contents

“They should put that on our money”

Totally brilliant tv. Why can’t we have more like this?

A lot of it is obviously down to the story itself. 

But I think a big part of it is the total lack of filler. They didn't drag it out a second longer than they needed to. Most shows now (even the good ones) are mostly just bloat. 

Terrible, heartbreaking, beautiful, and actually kind of inspiring. Just brilliant, gripping TV.

Plus I need Jared & Stellan to team up again as investigator buddies, they were so, so great together.

• Upvote 1

Episode 5 was fascinating. I’m so glad they made this. 

Fuck the Soviets, seriously. 

Spoiler

“They should put that on our money.”

:lol:

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Right, where can I buy this?

Absolutely - I want to own this. It deserves my money.

Breathtakingly brilliant.

Thought this was very Game Of Thrones. 

When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there. But it is still there... Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Soon or later, that debt is paid.

• Upvote 2

Brilliant TV! Not a wasted scene or line.

Could you imagine if it had been made by Netflix? 13 episodes, that would have followed the lives of all of the scientists that were amalgamated into Emily Watson. 

• Upvote 5

Not much to add to the deserved praise this is getting. The combination of realism and the dreamlike quality of everything around the plant and the exclusion zone is striking helped hugely by that soundtrack. 

The attention to detail is staggering and even more so when you see some of the images from the time. Even the courtroom scene is almost perfectly captured. Someone posted a great picture of the three arseholes on trial and it’s uncanny. 

Above all though (well apart from the fact the subject matter is possibly the perfect dramatic material!) the acting is something else. I’d not seen Jared Harris in much but I thought he was brilliant.  I mean there aren’t any obvious weak links but he utterly nails it.

More of this kind of thing please!

• Upvote 3

I'm now shattered, drained, and feeling rather emotional but that was a very fitting conclusion to the best five hours of TV I've ever seen. I shall be finding it hard to get to sleep tonight as my mind is racing from the experience.

Pretty much flawless from beginning to end in every single department - this is one of those rare, rare occasions for which every component came together perfectly.  Every single scene seemed essential and not one felt like it was there as filler which is is quite the skill in these days of bloated TV production. Mazin deserves all the awards for his restraint in telling this story and especially for his success in humanising those involved as, back in the day, I remember the Soviets were all Bad People who wanted to nuke us so this disaster maybe didn't get the fair coverage, or sympathy, that it deserves and has belatedly been given.

An incredible achievement by all involved and a very worthy tribute to all those who died and who continue to die.

• Upvote 1

Superb final episode.

Quite astonishing the way the regime worked if you stepped away from the party line, but I suppose there are still worse regimes operating in the world even now.

There is some lovely tight writing in this - I loved the line last night 'every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth, sooner or later the debt is paid'

I keep saying this but I see so much of this story (minus the nuclear explosion) in my current big corporate work life - I was reading the other day about how the Soviet era even had a term for people stepping out of line, they were deemed to be alarmist, I see this on a daily basis in large tech project work.

Loved the explanation scene with the cards talking thru how reactivity is increased or slowed, I imagine people will be nicking that in academia - slight shame that its a show construct, I did want to find a pic of the trial doing exactly the same.

I loved the simple brutality of the post trial fallout (ha) for Legasov

Spoiler

Other men-- lesser men-- will receive credit for the things you have done. Your legacy is now their legacy. You'll live long enough to see that.

I literally see this shit happen - people sweat blood and tears into a project but aren't seen as on message or presentable, so they get replaced with somebody else who finishes off the last bit and gets the glory for it.

Final point I'm now paranoid about my cars xenon headlights.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

Final point I'm now paranoid about my cars xenon headlights.

There's a button underneath the steering wheel to turn the xenon off, it's called AZ5. Try it. What's the worst that could go wrong? :coffee:

Also, what are the current odds on a band being called AZ5 making it big? 

• Upvote 6

still less disastrous than Maroon 5

I think this completes HBO's 'middle management fuckheads will ruin your life' trilogy, alongside the Wire (they'll ruin the police) and Generation Kill (they'll ruin the army)

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

Loved the explanation scene with the cards talking thru how reactivity is increased or slowed, I imagine people will be nicking that in academia - slight shame that its a show construct, I did want to find a pic of the trial doing exactly the same.

Just to be clear, if I understood the podcast correctly, he wasn’t at the trial at all. That’s the show construct not just the cards.

4 minutes ago, pledge said:

Just to be clear, if I understood the podcast correctly, he wasn’t at the trial at all. That’s the show construct not just the cards.

yup. thats my understanding on listening to the podcast

• Upvote 1