rllmuk
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

Yeah I just came here to put a warning out for the animal lovers :(

The attention to detail continues to amaze me. I don't know what a Soviet era military camp looks like, but the one in here looks completely real, so many amazing touches. 

• Upvote 1

I haven't watched the latest episode so I've just skimmed the last few pages and don't know if this has been posted already. Fascinating stuff and extremely sobering. Can't believe the Tomorrow's World guy was there only 3 years after the event! :blink: The title says 1998 but that must be a typo.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Nosejam said:

Just watched the second episode, this is some outstanding TV. I was nearly in tears when those 3 guys volunteered to open the gates and quite literally on the edge of my seat during the end scene in the water.

The geiger counter clicks and the score just merged into this terrifying  soundscape 

Spoiler

and then the lights went out. 

It's both compelling and awful at the same time. 

4 minutes ago, And said:

Starting ep 3, pregnant lady is an idiot. 

She's pregnant - you can't expect rational thought in a situation like that. 

• Downvote 6

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

Bit sexist.  Problem is that a nurse told her not to touch him but not why. (Her pregnancy is neither here nor there. Well apart from the risk to the baby. It was just a way to identify her. )

Which is emblematic of the whole thing, nobody seems to understand the consequences of any of this apart from the 2 scientists. 

Loved Jared’s character giving Gorbachev the snark. 

• Downvote 1

You literally just wrote that pregnant women aren’t rational. :coffee:

Also : the coal miners are badass

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Thor said:

You what? :lol:

edit: You calling her an idiot, is far more sexist.

Well no, because her idiocy isn’t defined by her gender or reproductive status, but by her willingness to ignore (female) medical personnel, lie about being pregnant and touch a highly radioactive man, endangering herself and her baby. 

Want to row back on that maybe? Don’t be a dick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, And said:

You literally just wrote that pregnant women aren’t rational. :coffee:

I literally did not. "you can't expect rational thought in a situation like that", is what I wrote, literally. I suggest you look up "literal" in a dictionary.

2 minutes ago, And said:

Well no, because her idiocy isn’t defined by her gender or reproductive status, but by her willingness to ignore (female) medical personnel, lie about being pregnant and touch a highly radioactive man, endangering herself and her baby. 

Want to row back on that maybe? Don’t be a dick

The hormonal effect of pregnancy on an already highly emotional situation like that... her actions are totally believable, but they don't necessarily make her an idiot. 

I don't believe I'm being a dick, but if a woman posts here stating otherwise then I'll hold my hands up. 

5 hours ago, Stevie said:

The thing with the dogs really got to me :(

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah I just came here to put a warning out for the animal lovers :(

The attention to detail continues to amaze me. I don't know what a Soviet era military camp looks like, but the one in here looks completely real, so many amazing touches. 

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Aawwwww fffffuuucck. I'm gonna be a mess... :(

For anyone wondering, I feared the worst, but it really wasn't that bad. 

• Downvote 5

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

Come on, your sentence as written, without context, says that you can’t expect rational thought in a situation like that, with the situation being that she is pregnant. That’s the literal structure of your sentence. 

So if you can’t take a bit of a joke about this post then that’s on you. Let’s not shit up the thread though Eh? Lighten up. 

I see our mother to be has just ignored the medics again, despite being told it’s a risk. Again.   

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Regarding the pregnant lady, apart from the fact she loves and wants to comfort her husband, it’s covered in the podcast and easy to forget that back then people didn’t understand radiation and the danger. If you knew a fire was burning at a nuclear power station would you go close to watch it? Absolutely not, but they did back then.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, And said:

Come on, your sentence as written, without context, says that you can’t expect rational thought in a situation like that, with the situation being that she is pregnant. That’s the literal structure of your sentence. 

So if you can’t take a bit of a joke about this post then that’s on you. Let’s not shot up the thread though Eh? Lighten up. 

I see our mother to be has just ignored the medics again, despite being told it’s a risk. Again.   

Well of course if you take out context it reads differently - what are you, a Daily Mail editor? ;) But there is context: this entire thread, and the show we're watching. I just took issue with my post being called sexist. But yes, we're stinking up the thread. So let's leave it. :)

• Downvote 6

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

- what are you, a Daily Mail editor? 

That’s just mean :(, I was only taking the piss a bit. 

I’m really enjoying this though. Well, enjoying is probably not the right word. 

I spent more time than I’d care for my employer to know about reading about this today. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You'll probably still get loads of people doing it for Facebook likes and shit.

Posting it on instagram

That bit with

Spoiler

Dyatlov in the hospital, still questioning the explosion until he has that photograph shoved under his nose. Breathtaking denial.

I'm a bit crushed that there's only one episode left. They could've comfortably made it a six-parter.

This is amazing.  Absolutely brutal TV.

just learned this evening that a friend of my friend was one of those 90s guys on the roof. He’s still alive. 

• Upvote 6

Well, somebody was a very good boy at his acting skills in that episode. 

Spoiler

Which made it a little easier to watch, knowing what good boy and girl dogs and cats they all were for filming.

Now excuse me, I have some people getting puppies for Christmas videos to watch...

• Upvote 2

The dog with the puppies looking up at Pavel was just brutal. And that guy on the roof...that was the longest 90 seconds ever waiting for the 'bell' to ring, all the while the geiger counter's going completelyfuckingmental, ugh. Thank god for Boris' awesome meltdown on the phone when he realises why the German robot went tits up, a good rant always cheers me up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Joystick Chevron said:

The dog with the puppies looking up at Pavel was just brutal. And that guy on the roof...that was the longest 90 seconds ever waiting for the 'bell' to ring, all the while the geiger counter's going completelyfuckingmental, ugh. Thank god for Boris' awesome meltdown on the phone when he realises why the German robot went tits up, a good rant always cheers me up.

Aye, this show has been excellent with perfectly timed levity when it's most needed. Boris going off one in in this episode, and the naked miners in the previous one.