Jump to content
JohnC

Chernobyl (HBO/Sky)

Recommended Posts

Watching that trailer, it may be coincidence but parts of that look to be heavily influenced from a BBC production made ages ago called Surviving Disaster: Chernobyl with Ade Edmondson. That was great so I can recommend that if you get a chance to watch it. As for this, I'll certainly give it a go if I can watch it somewhere as I find what happened fascinating.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They’re doing the same as Game of Thrones with it airing simultaneous with the US, so the first airing was 2am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was simultaneously fantastic TV and utterly horrible TV. 

 

Made me me feel sick on occasion at what I was witnessing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this was superb and deeply harrowing. I clearly remember the disaster happening at school, but not fully comprehending how serious it was at the time.

 

It will be interesting to see how the iconic landmarks of Pripyat that we're so familiar with will be recreated for the series - I thought the reactor fire itself and the music/sound design, especially when the firemen were walking up to it, was incredibly convincing and moving. 

 

Looking forward to more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We tried watching this earlier, saw about 20 minutes (tense stuff), but the pooch got so distressed by the different alarms, the dead birds, and finally the people heading into danger he just completely freaked out. He stared at the TV and started barking and howling, and we had to turn it off. He was freaked out for ages afterwards too.

 

Christ knows how we’ll get through this series!

 

Bloody Shelties, man. :lol:

  • Empathy 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus that was bleak.  Compelling television though.  

 

I remember Chernobyl well as a kid, because my mum was pregnant with my youngest sister at the time, and there was a lot of debate over whether milk was safe for pregnant women to drink.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really good, but the grimness was slightly undermined for me due to Friday Night Dinner’s Martin “lovely bit of squirrel” Goodman in one of the key roles.  Took me right out of it every time he was on screen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

 

Yeah I have a feeling next week is gonna be a lot more light-hearted. Not exactly comedy, but I think there'll be a lotta laughs. 

 

Yeah well you got me a good one there Mr duke, it is a horrific subject but maybe less puking and disintegrating of limbs etc. in the remaining episodes and the story leaning more towards the attempts at a cover-up and all the blameshifting is what I was getting at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been to Chernobyl twice, the latest visit was this last weekend, so it was interesting to come back and watch this.  The tours are fascinating but you're kind of taking a tour guide's word for everything, and this programme really didn't pull any punches in showing it as it happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/03/2019 at 14:19, tronied said:

Watching that trailer, it may be coincidence but parts of that look to be heavily influenced from a BBC production made ages ago called Surviving Disaster: Chernobyl with Ade Edmondson. That was great so I can recommend that if you get a chance to watch it. As for this, I'll certainly give it a go if I can watch it somewhere as I find what happened fascinating.

I watched the BBC version after the HBO and they really are incredibly similar but both excellent. I'm guessing that they are both based on the same source material, rather than the HBO being a rip-off of the BBC one.

 

Can't wait for the next episode. The main 'you're wrong' guy is something I have seen in my working life, but thankfully not quite in as extreme a situation. I once had to escalate a serious safety issue 3 layers before someone was willing to accept the truth about a product that was about to be shipped which would have cost lives. I guess my point is that a big part of the BBC documentary focusses on the culture within the USSR at the time, that can be heavily attributed to the incident happening but the politics isn't very different from what I've seen in modern day UK companies.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how accurate this is scientifically? Like the bit where the guy picked up the graphite rod casing and his hand was bleeding a few minutes later. Obviously those things are off the charts radioactive and you would be fucked if you were unlucky enough to touch one. But would your skin and stuff really start breaking down from it that quickly? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, sammy said:

Really good, but the grimness was slightly undermined for me due to Friday Night Dinner’s Martin “lovely bit of squirrel” Goodman in one of the key roles.  Took me right out of it every time he was on screen.

 

I spent 100% of his screen time waiting for him to take his top off.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this last night. Awesome on the one hand, but harrowing on the other. The scenes from outside the reactor of the fire fighters dealing with the fire were very realistic and brilliantly shot. Looking forward to future episodes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Raoull duke said:

I wonder how accurate this is scientifically? Like the bit where the guy picked up the graphite rod casing and his hand was bleeding a few minutes later. Obviously those things are off the charts radioactive and you would be fucked if you were unlucky enough to touch one. But would your skin and stuff really start breaking down from it that quickly? 

 

Yes.

 

A dose of 500 roentgens per hr is lethal for humans; the guy touching the piece of graphite core would have been exposed to approx 10,000 to 20,000 roentgens. You’re basically melting from the inside out, even without touching stuff. 

 

 

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/05/2019 at 16:54, dumpster said:

I have been to Chernobyl twice, the latest visit was this last weekend, so it was interesting to come back and watch this.  The tours are fascinating but you're kind of taking a tour guide's word for everything, and this programme really didn't pull any punches in showing it as it happened.

 

I’ve always wanted to go, how did you organise it? I watched a tour on YT last night where they were in the building, even in the control room. There is something fascinating about modern ruins, each one has its own story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

 

Yes.

 

A dose of 500 roentgens per hr is lethal for humans; the guy touching the piece of graphite core would have been exposed to approx 10,000 to 20,000 roentgens. You’re basically melting from the inside out, even without touching stuff. 

 

 

Scary shit. Obviously I knew massive doses of radiation would kill you in short order. But didn't think it would visibly start to break down your tissues and stuff that quickly. 

 

Been down a YouTube and Wikipedia rabbit hole the last few days now. Apparently one of the firemen on scene who got close to the first his eye colour changed from it, prior to his agonised death. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it pretty graphic or is it more implied? I’m a wuss and not good with seeing injuries or gore. I do want to watch it though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.