rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Revival

Cyber Shadow | Yacht Club Games

A new game from the team that brought you Shovel Knight. A quintessential Ninja action game in the style of Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden.

https://yachtclubgames.com/cyber-shadow/

Pre-orders will be available soon on all formats: Steam, Switch, PS4, Xbox One

Dash, slice, and leap through masterfully designed levels filled with sharply honed ninja platforming action.

Authentic 8-bit presentation with hand-crafted sprites, a detailed pixel aesthetic, and perfect controls. Modern touches like fluid animation, multi-layered parallax backgrounds, and evolved game design.

Take down more than a dozen apocalyptic bosses, from enormous war machines to your synthetic clan rivals.

Relive the authenticity of classic 8-bit challenge or experience it for the first time.. with an added convenience or two.

Rescue your clan to unlock permanent Ninjutsu skills and abilities, combining them seamlessly as only the warrior of legend could.

Search for secrets as you explore the ruined world. Return to your old haunts to find supplies, items and upgrades.

Experience the gripping story, told both in-game and through animated cinematic story scenes between the action. Who can be trusted? How far will Shadow go to protect his clan and the one he loves?

Pulse-pounding soundtrack by Enrique Martin, produced by Jake Kaufman.

cyberShadow_poster_moon.png

• Upvote 7

Is this a linear game or a "metroidvania" of some sort. If it`s the former I`m interested. If it`s a metroidvania, I`m not.  Also, if it isn`t a metroidvania, it`s not really fair to say it`s the same as The Messenger.

The Messenger looked promising, imagine my disappointment to find out it was yet another metroidvania (and a lot of reviews seemed to agree it was stronger in the more linear early portions of the game). These days I just assume every 2d indie game is a metroidvania, so on the rare occasion one turns out not to be, I`m pleasantly surprised.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, VN1X said:

Let me tell you about this thing called a "genre".

All these games are just Shinobi and you can't convince me otherwise. 8-bit Ninja Gaiden? Shinobi. Ninja Spirit? Shinobi. Strider? Shinobi. Xbox Ninja Gaiden? Also Shinobi.

16 hours ago, MW_Jimmy said:

Not really Yacht Club Games - they are just publishing.

They themselves refer to it as bit co-development, they are mentoring the actual developer and giving him some help to hone his craft. It's usually what separates the really good games from the merely decent, those final layers of polishing.

With their financial help, it should be a better product than what he could have achieved on his own. I do wish people would move on from faux-8-bit visuals though, but it's probably all you can hope for from a single individual.

It looks great. Between this, The Messenger and Katana Zero (which still looks unmissable) it’s a good time to be a fan of moody 2D action games. :) 

• Upvote 1

Just heard of its existence. Looks absolutely ace! 

I adored Shovel Knight. It's not the same team behind this one, but sounds like they still had a hand in its development. Should be brilliant. The only shame is that this -understandably so, as the system is not really supported anymore- isn't getting a 3DS release. Would've been an excellent fit.