rllmuk
JohnC

Deadwood Film - 1st June Sky Atlantic

Yes it was just a couple hours, but it was a blessing we got any more at all. Felt like I was having reunion with my own fucking family, truth be told. Frog in my throat pretty much whole way through. Especially what with its creator going the same way. If it was up to me Cy would have got mention, and those fucking flashbacks would have been shoved up the ignorant heathens they was meant for, but otherwise it was just about damn near perfect, and I tip my hat and sink some bourbon in its honour. From Kentucky, naturally.

• Upvote 3

Spoiler

My favourite thing was how the settlement had become a community, Bullock had become less of a blunt instrument, and how the changes in the town seemed to be part of Hearst’s undoing. Deadwood had evolved, he didn’t, and for all his talk of the future he got fucking flattened in the process.

He isn’t going to go to get legally punished for anything of course, but that shitkicking he received was a kind of justice.

It had both something to say and was total fan service.

It's prose is both elegant and brutal.  It had moments of real excitement.  Poinient reunions. 

Loved it. 

• Upvote 2

On 02/06/2019 at 22:48, Thor said:

Pretty sure Garret Dillahunt made a very brief cameo too.

Yeah he was in it toward the end.

Spoiler

Deadwood.S00E01.Deadwood.The.Movie.720p.WEBRip.x264-TBS.mkv_20190605_155438.557.jpg

Also this guy in the bar, after Calamity Jane made her Wild Bill speech, piped up and I'm sure he's someone well known. He's probably no one but I had a vibe he was maybe GH again or for some odd reason maybe Kurt Russell.

Deadwood.S00E01.Deadwood.The.Movie.720p.WEBRip.x264-TBS.mkv_20190605_155306.087.jpg

38 minutes ago, amc said:

Yeah he was in it toward the end.

Reveal hidden contents

Deadwood.S00E01.Deadwood.The.Movie.720p.WEBRip.x264-TBS.mkv_20190605_155438.557.jpg

Yep that's him. Is that Graham McTavish next to him though? :lol:

I need one of these films a year, for the next ten years.  I was a blubbering mess by the end,  it felt so much like a family reunion.  I think I'm probably going to have to re-watch it because I spent most of the time just thinking "I can't believe I'm watching new Deadwood!" and grinning like a lunatic.

Olyphant seemed to be channeling some sort of Raylan Givens/Seth Bullock hybrid but since Justified and Deadwood are two of my favourite programmes I couldn't really find fault in that!

• Upvote 2

Well I just went to watch this and it’s not on NowTv anymore. What an utterly shit service it continues to be. Cancelling tomorrow and will buy on Blu-ray.

Fucksake.

It's like any episode of a show they usually only have a 30 day licence to stream after it has aired.

Watched this a week or so ago and absolutely loved it, with the exception of the

Spoiler

flashbacks.

Seemed completely unnecessary and heavy-handed to me.

4 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

Watched this a week or so ago and absolutely loved it, with the exception of the

Hide contents

flashbacks.

Seemed completely unnecessary and heavy-handed to me.

That was

Spoiler

obviously because of the gap between the tv show & film to give viewers a reminder. I do agree with you they did not need it.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I totally get why they were there too.  It just seemed there was enough explanation in the dialogue to make them irrelevant, so it seemed a curious decision to include them and double down.

• Upvote 1

Smacks of producer types wanting to 'broaden' the appeal. The dialogue is stylised so they were probably worried new people wouldn't pick up important plot points through speech alone and just wander off confused. If that's the price for it happening at all, then fine. But it's sad because they were a very annoying inclusion and every second should have been spent fleshing out the present.

• Upvote 1

It's odd, because anyone who hasn't seen the show previously would have no idea what was going or who anyone was (it jumped straight in, no introductions), and the flashbacks wouldn't have helped (I don't think) so it felt like an odd decision to include them. Benefits no one.

• Upvote 3

Maybe they’re just there as aide-memoires for people that (foolishly!) don’t rewatch the series beforehand. Idiots! No need. 

The flashbacks were jarring but it’s been so long since I watched season 3 that I did find them useful (I know I should have rewatched all the seasons beforehand but work and kids mean I just don’t have the free time I did a decade ago :( ).

Enjoyed getting reacquainted with the characters and getting a proper ending to the show after so long.

This is only a few bob for Prime users if anyone missed it on NowTV by the way.

I thought it was a fantastic stand alone in of itself even if you're not intimately familiar with the show, but as someone who has only watched the show very recently it was a treat to get it all wrapped up so nicely and satisfyingly after watching it all.

I do think it was a bit too sympathetic towards

Spoiler

Al at the end. He's done evil and more rotten to the core things than Hurst on many occasions, which though that is the draw of his character as he maintained balance in the town, lets not kid ourselves that he deserved redemption.

I loved this. It was a little too neat n tidy and it's a shame Swearengen didn't really have much to do but it was still incredibly satisfying. A fitting end.