rllmuk
deKay

Cadence of Hyrule

37 minutes ago, Fletch said:

It's one of those games I love the look and music of but I feel it'll be above my skill level and I won't see most of it. 

1 minute ago, Rex Grossman said:

Same.

It’ll take about 1-2 hours of practise to get to a adequate level of skills needed to make continous progress. It’s well worth the investment.

43 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Is it worth buying this over the original given that one's only £3 odd in the sale? £22 seems like a lot.

I bought Crypt first to see if I liked it before getting Cadence - I've now been getting to bed a little late shall we say.

• Upvote 1

So I yielded and bought the original (don't know if there's a thread for it so I'll post my thoughts here). 

And, as predicted, I am absolute arse at the game. I can get to the second song (not sure how many levels are in each zone) and that's about it. And the song changes each level too which means I have to have more than one in my repertoire. This is going to be a big ask for someone who doesn't even have one dance in his repertoire. 

I sort of wish I'd stumped up for the Zelda one, as I think the stylings would have carried me through these opening hours better. Though £3/£22 is quite a big jump for something I feel I am not going to be great at. 

I am enjoying it though, just that it is a little maddening. More frustrated with my own lack of skill than the game. I'm find certain enemies or enemy-filled rooms a real mindfuck. It's hard when even the act of moving is such a challenge and something I constantly need to be thinking about. I think I'm trying to move a little to fast when really I have half a second longer. Especially with attacking, as I'm pressing the button perhaps before I have to. 

Also, is this the game doing this, as my D-pad keeps "sticking"? I've checked the controller inputs on the Switch and there are no problems there, but sometimes one button press won't register and I'll stop momentarily. 

Is this me missing a beat or pressing too soon? And the game sort of "freezes" you or stops your movement for a split second? I think it is accompanied by "missed" or "beat skipped" so I'm presuming it's the game and me messing up movement. Not even sure what is different between missed and beat skipped. 

So yeah, I'm horrendous at this. But enjoying it so far. The track on the first level alone is super-catchy. Love the operatic shop keeper joining in too. 

EDIT - Jesus, I am dense. I thought you could move whenever but moving with the beat kept your multiplier up and in sync with enemies. But you can only move WITH the beat. I guess that is the D-pad "lag" then? 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I felt using the analogue stick might be more comfortable and stop me button mashing, but hearing that even developers themselves stick a prompt in saying "Use the D-pad you idiot" if you use the stick made give it a swerve. 

Also I think Cadence must be even better, due to the Zelda-style trappings. I'll earmark that for a future purchase sometime down the line. The originals levels are probably the one visual sore point, being (so far) not that interesting to look at. Having the Hyrule theme must really help it out. 

• Upvote 1

Just started playing the original and I do not like it very much. I’m also awful at it, though. 

I don’t think it’s very good at explaining itself to you, either. Enemies keep killing me and often I’m not sure why. 

The Pro controller seems worthless for it. Joycon grip all the way, but it still feels like it misses inputs here and there. 

I thought this was just alright at first and took a while to warm to it but I've hit eleven hours now so I think I have. It's actually a Zelda game! Only even seen one boss too, it's bigger than the map had led me to believe. 

Gerudo Valley for best music. But then that's to be expected in any game that uses Gerudo Valley music. 

It told me I was shit and maybe I should try non-beat mode or whatever it's called. Its actually quite nice for learning the enemy movements as you have complete control. Fun to just explore atm.

2 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Yes, like Tetris 99, this is one of those games where the Joy-con grip is much better than a Pro controller if you’re playing docked.

I’ve now abandoned the joy on grip and am just using the left joycon, using two thumbs on the d-pad. Seems to be working much better for me. It’s still hard as nails, though. Made it to the 3rd floor of zone 1. 

Is Cadence easier?

27 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Is Cadence easier?

Yes and once you get the right equipment you could even argue it’s too easy :o

The four dungeon bosses didn’t require any strategy whatsoever and fell ridiculously fast. I’ve left off for the evening at the final boss which is where it’s said the difficulty level rises significantly and now I’m nervous...

6 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Just started playing the original and I do not like it very much. I’m also awful at it, though. 

I don’t think it’s very good at explaining itself to you, either. Enemies keep killing me and often I’m not sure why. 

The Pro controller seems worthless for it. Joycon grip all the way, but it still feels like it misses inputs here and there. 

You want to go into the controller test functions in the settings and test your inputs just in case. 

If everything's fine, it's probably not the controller or game missing inputs, but the fact that you're trying to move off the beat. I was getting these missed inputs and sticky button presses too, but it's likely because you're trying to move a fraction early. 

As expected I’m back to struggling on the final stretch. I have to think rather than mindlessly barge my way through everything now. Noooo! This is not helped by a fatal error where I now have a ruby broadsword instead a titanium one. I thought I could have both. Ruby’s half a heart refill for every five kills is not a good upgrade over Titanium’s 2 damage with my playstyle. This was not the moment to voluntarily weaken myself and have to come up with a plan B.

11 hours ago, Parksey said:

You want to go into the controller test functions in the settings and test your inputs just in case. 

If everything's fine, it's probably not the controller or game missing inputs, but the fact that you're trying to move off the beat. I was getting these missed inputs and sticky button presses too, but it's likely because you're trying to move a fraction early. 

I think it’s the spongy inputs on the Pro that did me in. I got 72ms input lag when I did it with that and 0ms with the joycon grip.

I’m enjoying it more but it’s still slow going. 

On 16/06/2019 at 09:16, Fletch said:

It's one of those games I love the look and music of but I feel it'll be above my skill level and I won't see most of it. 

I'm not finding it to be anywhere near as challenging as I found Necrodancer if that helps..

1 hour ago, cohen205 said:

Just finished the story. Absolutely delightful little game. 

Took me 33 hours overall, but I faffed a bit. 

I’m guessing you left it in sleep mode. 

It has the same bug as Xenoblade 2 did at launch for counting that time as part of your total.

The balance in this is a little off. From being really hard to begin with I went on an epic run of not dying  - not really by getting better but just getting a few more hearts and some gear upgrades. My one big criticism, fun it is, is that I don't feel I've had to learn the enemy patterns, which was the entire point of Crypt. This is never more obvious than in the boss fights where I've literally just aimed at them and tanked a few hits before winning surprisingly easily. 

4 hours ago, Yasawas said:

The balance in this is a little off. From being really hard to begin with I went on an epic run of not dying  - not really by getting better but just getting a few more hearts and some gear upgrades. My one big criticism, fun it is, is that I don't feel I've had to learn the enemy patterns, which was the entire point of Crypt. This is never more obvious than in the boss fights where I've literally just aimed at them and tanked a few hits before winning surprisingly easily. 

I agree with this but it is also pretty easy to mess up and suddenly see yourself down at a couple of hearts.. At least I've just discovered the fairy fountain and have the warp harp so can just dash there in an emergency. Was a pretty hairy feeling with 700 rupees and 2 hearts last night .

Also at the fairy fountain I upgraded my broadsword which does +3 on a combo and my +2 dagger to poison. I feel unstoppable now and rarely use Zelda's trigger specials.

CoH’s boss fights in meme form.

2tkZ.gif

They’re why it’s unlikely to make my games of the year list. It could have been a classic but instead it’s a brilliant idea that’s the victim of its own generosity. Games often live or die by their boss fights. This approach wouldn’t go down very well in Dark Souls or Cuphead.