rllmuk
deKay

Cadence of Hyrule

3 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Wait; was that guy actually serious about the whole chipset conspiracy theory?

No he just posts utter bollocks in threads across the forum and then gets banned. Fairly regularly. Utter utter bollocks. 

Just now, rafaqat said:

No he just posts utter bollocks in threads across the forum and then gets banned. Fairly regularly. Utter utter bollocks. 

Was going to say it. Reading his post, I was convinced he was utterly taking the piss, until I gathered from people's reactions that he wasn't. Baffling.

Yeah, it's a bit steep and is making me hesitate. That said, if it had been developed internally they'd be after fifty quid for it, probably, and by all accounts so far it's Nintendo-level quality.

I want it really bad, but agree that the price seems a little steep. Graphically it looks incredible. Definitely get a proper Nintendo vibe from it. 

Im bound to cave in at some point in the next few days. 

I thought Necrodancer looked a bit hard but just watching a Twitch stream Cadence seems more accessible and I love the music and art. Maybe one to pick up in a sale. 

Has anyone with little kids got this? I really want it but then of course the kids will want to play it and not sure how accessible it is? Will a 5 and 7 year old find it too tough?

@g wings There’s an auto-beat setting, but I think you still need rhythm to figure out the patterns. Checkpoints seem quite generous and you keep any upgrades you’ve bought. TBH, they’ll probably just get it and then be composing symphonies before you know. 

• Upvote 2

I’m very much loving it now. The titanium broadsword has turned me into a slayer of all things. Kinda feels like an easy mode but I’m not complaining.

The music just about justifies the Zelda tax and they’ve done a great job of making it feel like an actual Zelda game.

• Upvote 3

Haven't played crypt.. starting to click now. Ignore the bar and just follow the music. 

Learn the patterns of the dudes, save your diamonds and clear out each screen slowly.

Well I’ve just played the tutorial and I’m in love. The first track is incredible. It’s a mixture of disco descent and the Zelda tune and it’s perfect! It plays just like necromancer so far, but it’s interesting that keeping to the beat only effects enemy sections. Once all enemies are defeated you are free to move around at your own pace which is a nice touch.

I knew I’d love it as it’s combined 2 of my favourite games. If you have any interest in necromancer, then I’d say get this asap. 

• Upvote 1

This took a couple of hours but it's clicked and it's very, very good. I hadn't looked into what it was and just expected my favourite rhythm-based roguelike reskinned as one of my favourite series but it takes a different approach, early on at least, and requires much more methodical play than Crypt which threw me for a while.

And someone reassure me it's not just me who can't wrap their head around the pattern/timing they need to reflect the most basic of projectiles back. It's like when I taught myself to juggle.

@Yasawas Are you playing as Zelda? Link’s shield doesn’t require timing to deflect and lets you hold down R. I started a new game for both characters and that appears to be the main difference between the two. 

Nintendo Life has posted its review.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/cadence_of_hyrule_crypt_of_the_necrodancer_featuring_the_legend_of_zelda

5 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

@Yasawas Are you playing as Zelda? Link’s shield doesn’t require timing to deflect and lets you hold down R. I started a new game for both characters and that appears to be the main difference between the two. 

I am, cheers! The last thing I did last night before I stopped was get to the bit where you can switch between them at will so I'll give him a go.

This is bloody great. Playing w/ split joycon isn’t ideal, but we’re starting to kick arse with only around 15% of the map complete. And yes, it feels like a Zelda game. Stellar work by the team. 

Well this really is lovely and such a fantastic concept. But my goodness it’s hard and unforgiving. Keep making stupid mistakes, think I need to pause occasionally rather than always moving.

What is the penalty for not moving on the beat in this? In Crypt it resets or reduces your multiplier if I remember right but I can't work out what it is here.

It's one of those games I love the look and music of but I feel it'll be above my skill level and I won't see most of it. 

• Upvote 1