rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Oculus Rift S - Roomscale with no external cameras

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/hands-on-with-the-new-399-oculus-rift-s-more-pixels-zero-cameras-better-fit/

Looking seriously impressive. I might bite.

"This is out-of-the-box room scale," Oculus co-founder Nate Mitchell said as he gestured to the Oculus Rift S, the new PC-focused VR headset launching "this spring" for $399. This headset will effectively replace the standard Oculus Rift headset, which has had production all but halted to make way for the new model. For $50 more than the existing Rift retail package, Rift S owners will get a few perks, including a nearly 100-percent boost in pixel resolution (up to 1280×1440 per eye).

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Are there actually any VR games left to look forwards to at this point?

Genuine question.

Depends what you're into.  Dirt Rally 2.0 has a VR mode coming this summer, but it does seem pretty quiet on the VR front generally.

Generally, this headset is seen as a disappointment for the 'moar power' crowd.  Not really a massive upgrade over the current Rift headset and have made massive concessions to provide more practicality and ergonomics to bring in more users.    Over to Valve and their rumored VR headset

Attempts to lower the barrier to entry (price, setup) are eminently sensible though. Did you really need a set of high quality headphones integrated rather than just using the ones people already have?

If any attempts to get a wider audience has got the community kicking off then it's never going to be mainstream.

• Upvote 2

Oh nice.  I figure I'm game to get another VR headset by the end of the year (wanna get back into Elite, man!), this model sounds neat as hell. 

16 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Attempts to lower the barrier to entry (price, setup) are eminently sensible though. Did you really need a set of high quality headphones integrated rather than just using the ones people already have?

I didn't have any to start with and the headphones on the rift are great, so yes.

19 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Are there actually any upcoming PC VR games at this point?

Genuine question.

I highlighted two Oculus exclusives Im interested in in the regular Oculus thread:

29 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I didn't have any to start with and the headphones on the rift are great, so yes.

The main problem with the headphones on the Rift is the degradation/loss of the right audio channel.

3 minutes ago, footle said:

The main problem with the headphones on the Rift is the degradation/loss of the right audio channel.

Is that a common thing then?  I haven't heard of that issue before and it hasn't happened to mine.

Sadly yes, it seems to be a bit of a design flaw.  Theres a really thin ground wire running to the right earphone in the bit of the strap that stretches  and apparently that can then snap - leading to that sides audio cutting out.  A DIY fix is relatively easy, but Palmer Luckey even offers a free fix:

https://palmerluckey.com/fix-your-oculus-rift-audio-failure-for-0-00-with-the-rr1-repair-kit/

Getting rid of the wires is the the very first thing they needed to do if they ever expect VR to get anywhere near mainstream. I looked at the spaghetti nightmare of cables I'd need to setup if I wanted to use PSVR and did the whole Seinfeld leaving the theatre thing.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

Getting rid of the wires is the the very first thing they needed to do if they ever expect VR to get anywhere near mainstream. I looked at the spaghetti nightmare of cables I'd need to setup if I wanted to use PSVR and did the whole Seinfeld leaving the theatre thing.

Virtual Link is the next step to that. My gfx card came with the port ready for it. Video and power to the VR headset over a single usb c cable.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

So that's what oculus' other new product, Quest, aims to do.  Roomscale with 6DOF controllers - but PC less and therefore completely wirefree.  Uses a heavily overclocked mobile processor.

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-s-vs-quest-specs-difference/

The Quest is the product I'm actually more excited about (I already own a Rift)

It's going to have a version of Beat Saber at launch!

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Is that a common thing then?  I haven't heard of that issue before and it hasn't happened to mine.

It happened to me a couple of months ago. Started intermittently then eventually stopped completely. Despite it being out of warranty Oculus replaced it with a whole new headset.

• Upvote 1

On 20/03/2019 at 18:34, RubberJohnny said:

Yes, don't need another cable for headphones, that is probably shorter than the headset cable, dangling around. One cable is bad enough.

I'm open minded about this, but my main concern with this approach to tracking is how well it will see the controllers at the extremes, arms wide apart for example. And of course it won't see them at all when they're behind the headset. I totally appreciate the need to have cameras/sensors placed/installed around the room is a ball ache for some though, so maybe that compromise is worth it. 

19 minutes ago, footle said:

Surely headphones would plug into the headset...

That would be a reasonable solution, it would be nice if there's some way to use the ones from the original rift.

Ha yeah, didn't think of that! But then... my decent headphones are all set up and cabled round to the back of my pc... so that would be a pain in the arse for me. I'd have to buy another pair because I'm not crawling around to plug/unplug those in every time I switch device. And I'd have that cable dangling around my neck, shoulders, arms so again... cables. It's so much more convenient to have them integrated.

The intergrated headphones was a great convenience.  Pulling on separate headphones is a ballache. They made too many concessions with this headset.  

On 21/03/2019 at 13:51, Flub said:

Virtual Link is the next step to that. My gfx card came with the port ready for it. Video and power to the VR headset over a single usb c cable.

VirtualLink is still a cable though.

There's a wireless adapter for Vive, but it really compresses the image because the technical standard is from like, 2003, and the max bandwidth is lower than an HDMI cable. Really it's not something that they're going to be able to do before 5G, or something.

35 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

VirtualLink is still a cable though.

That's why I said it's a next step towards wireless. Reducing the cable clutter down to a minimum will help a lot while we wait for the wireless tech to get there. The cables on my PSVR are a bloody nightmare. One would be much easier to handle.