rllmuk
Revival

Konami 50th Anniversary Collection

Super C, Operation C and Super Probotector all beaten and enjoyed. I don’t have much time for the arcade games. Some interesting differences in the graphics and levels but they’re as mean spirited as Castlevania’s arcade outing and control poorly. The NES versions are far superior.

I was waiting for the Japanese patch before tackling Hard Corps. Having suffered enough abuse at the hands of the western version, I wanted to experience it as intended before someone decided to be hateful towards western gamers. It might be the best in the series now.

The synopsis on the menu screen says that Hard Corps is set on Christmas Eve with the city ‘festively decorated’. I’ve never seen any mention of this before and see no evidence of it in-game now (three levels in). 

D9dVk2FUYAA-FYn.jpg

• Upvote 2

It's brilliant having the Japanese versions of the Arcade Classics now. I find Gradius far easier than Nemesis for some reason, Thunder Cross is like a different game and lightly brushing past a bat in Haunted Castle no longer takes half your health bar off. In fact Haunted Castle now seems almost... playable?!

Giant Bomb did a play through of it last year or so. Each episode playing until they ran out of continues. Restarting the next time. It was a brilliant series and it took them 22 runs of average 40 minutes each to complete it in two player. Such a wonderfully inventive game, but one of the harder ones of that era for sure. 

Although I have recently tried Robocop vs Terminator on megadrive, that game is just stupidly hard. 

11 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Hard Corps is incredible in its Japanese incarnation and broken hard in its western one. 

Also shows how screwed retro game collecting is IMO.

Western version goes for a fortune and as mentioned it’s broken hard. It’s like that for no other reason than to try and quash the rental market. There’s no design, no balance, no make it better etc. it’s literally “make it so you can’t finish it in a weekend”, so they made it nigh on impossible. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Also shows how screwed retro game collecting is IMO.

Western version goes for a fortune and as mentioned it’s broken hard. It’s like that for no other reason than to try and quash the rental market. There’s no design, no balance, no make it better etc. it’s literally “make it so you can’t finish it in a weekend”, so they made it nigh on impossible. 

In all fairness the Japanese version of Hard Corps is far more expensive than the western release. You can pick up the western releases for around £100. You're looking at double-treble that for the Japan release. It's the main reason why both my Castlevania and Contras are the Genesis versions, the Japan ones are simply too expensive.

It's tough sure, but it is doable on the available credits.

2 minutes ago, strider said:

In all fairness the Japanese version of Hard Corps is far more expensive than the western release. You can pick up the western releases for around £100. You're looking at double-treble that for the Japan release. It's the main reason why both my Castlevania and Contras are the Genesis versions, the Japan ones are simply too expensive.

It's tough sure, but it is doable on the available credits.

mega-everdrive-x7.thumb.jpg.a9b6e6404bec59c1b83574801fb656e5.jpg

Yeah, each individual setpiece/miniboss is perfectly doable by itself, and most attacks are well telegraphed. There's nothing unfair or purely RNG-based about the game - like Shattered Soldier, it all comes down to how well you've memorised the stages. In this regard it's one of the easier Contras! 

With SGDQ finishing recently I just realised how much of an opportunity was missed by not making these sets have timed modes with leaderboards.

I know it was just a cheap cash in by Konami but it would have made a huge difference IMO.

The games are classics and are all fan favourites for speed running. Such a shame.