rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Revival

Konami 50th Anniversary Collection

We probably won’t be seeing SotN or Rondo on the castlevania one as they have their own compilation.

Hopefully Bloodlines and the Wii Ware game are on it.

Maybe they’ll add kid Dracula for a laugh.

• Upvote 1

50th anniversary, massive back catalogue of great games, and that's the best they can do? Jesus Christ, they're just trying to milk their own corpse for pennies and doing about as good a job of it as you'd expect.

• Upvote 9

As much as I like old games, these cash in collections really do just show how utterly lazy and greedy these publishers are and that they (perhaps rightly) treat the retro market as a bunch of easily pleased chumps.

Hey, it's our 50 year anniversary!! Here, have a few games from a 5-10 year period/ the mid to late 1980s.

Lacking anything with a license because money. Lacking anything 3d because effort (what? you aren't satisfied with 5 emulated 8/16 bit games in 2019?).

It's 2019! Can we get a retro collection that includes some games from the 90's/a few 3d games and not just the same handful of 80s stuff over and over again.

Most of those arcade games were on the ps1 retro collections!

Compare this shit to the Taito Arcade Memories series on ps2.

• Upvote 7

No Metal Gear or Silent Hill games either says a lot about their attitudes to the relevant teams, or shows how much effort they’re willing to put in to porting software for this.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, stefcha said:

50th anniversary, massive back catalogue of great games, and that's the best they can do? Jesus Christ, they're just trying to milk their own corpse for pennies and doing about as good a job of it as you'd expect.

They’ve given up on games. It’s all about gambling software for them nowadays 

1 hour ago, gossi the dog said:

They’ve given up on games. It’s all about gambling software for them nowadays 

Well yeah hence the corpse reference, but even that shouldn't stop them putting Sunset Riders in the arcade collection :quote:

• Upvote 3

Be interesting to know what the other 4 Contra games would be. I would assume Hard Corps is one of them; the rest would presumably be other 8 / 16-bit versions and spin-offs, as nobody would want the PS1 games and anything after that would be too much work to convert.

9 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

The first 4 games in the Contra and Vania collections are listed

They were already in the first post ;) Just realised that despite there being a Castlevania collection, they've put a Castlevania game in the arcade collection and not in the Castlevania collection, which kind of shows the level of not giving a fuck that's being put into all this. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stefcha said:

They were already in the first post ;) 

They weren't there earlier this morning!

(At least, I don't think they were.) 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Same old stuff we've seen countless times, split over three releases when they should all be in one.

Who is this for exactly? Seasoned gamers will either own them or be able to emulate them easily. Anyone too young to get nostalgic would be mildly curious at best. Convenience of having them on a PS4? Hmmmm. And the people who were kids when these were originally released but who had grown up, would they want to play Contra III again?

Unless they pull something spectacular out of the bag for the to-be-announced games, or get those guys who did the Megaman collection in to do a proper job, I really don't see the point of this beyond a lazy cash-in.

For the remaining Castlevanias, I’ll go with:

Simon’s Quest (NES)

The Adventure (GB)

Legends (GB)

Bloodlines (MD)

Even that is being optimistic with regards to Bloodlines but the Wii remake of Adventure is an optimistic step too far where Konami is concerned.

2 hours ago, Don Wiskerando said:

That Gradius V has remained a PS2 exclusive is the greatest crime in videogaming.

A HD version of that game would be incredible

• Upvote 1

If it feels unlikely a game will be included, you're probably right. That's what I'm thinking anyway.

I probably won’t get any of that because I’ve played them enough times, but it’d be neat to see the CV collection include things like Drac X, Bloodlines or maybe even Haunted Castle :P 

Love the Nemesis series of games have Salamander on the PS4. Although perhaps the Switch version might be interesting....

Just wish they would do something special with these... maybe some design notes interviews with the dev team / designers. Some background info on the conception of the games themselves. Something. This is what I hope companies would do with their classic games and give them the full respect they deserve. 

What will happen (probably)  is Konami will outsource their licenses to a third party who will just wrap an emulator of some kind around the ROM image of said games and that will be it. Happy to be proved wrong though...

1 hour ago, sofasurfer said:

Wasn't there already a  Gradius collection planned for the Switch this year?

Think that was Darius.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Just wish they would do something special with these... maybe some design notes interviews with the dev team / designers. Some background info on the conception of the games themselves. Something. This is what I hope companies would do with their classic games and give them the full respect they deserve.

Each collection comes with a bonus ebook:

Contents

・Game Showcase & Design Documents

Numerous hand-drawn sketches and concept design sheets.

・Special Selection of Musical Scores

Hand-written scores of several original game music.

・Development Team Interview

Discover behind-the-scenes stories from designer and programmer.

bonusbook_01.png

bonusbook_02.png

bonusbook_03.png

bonusbook_04.png

bonusbook_05.png

bonusbook_06.png

5 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Could at least have rereleased the N64 ISS games.

A valiant attempt, but thwarted.

• Upvote 7

Would love physical versions of these to do the design stuff justice in a book. That''s of course presuming they do a decent job of including lots of design info. Tbh, that would be the main reason for me purchasing. Since it's all eshop stuff though I'll pass.