Jump to content
rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
wanderai

Melancholy and creativity

Recommended Posts

We all have a tendency to devalue feelings like melancholy or sadness, seeing it as bas feelings that should be avoided, without realizing that these feelings are as important as feelings like happiness.

We always try to avoid being sad in a situation where feeling this way is important to us, and in that way, we prevent ourselves from learning something from these feelings, growing up from these feelings, we just try to keep them locked, away from our minds.

Of course i'm talking about it in a healthy way, not things such like depression, anxiety, and etc. I think that we just should ''enjoy'' (this sounds really bad in English) feeling sad or melancholic, and try to learn something from it, grow up as a person from it, because feelings should be felt, it's part of us.

How these feelings influence you in a creative point? What events caused you to come up with something? Have you ever noticed that you can express this in your art without realizing? (Some people don't)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I find I work my best when I am at my lowest points, where killing myself is a real option. For some reason that gets my juices flowing with work. I think it comes from a desire not to let someone else down, before ending it all. 

 

When I am on an upwards spiral I actually struggle to come up with ideas. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an odd relationship with this when it comes to creating stuff. Tapping into the creative side tends to draw out my more depressive tendencies, so it can be a bit of a fraught process at times. Makes me loath to even get in there, but I always feel better for getting something down.

 

Great question by the way. It'll be interesting to see what people have to say about it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bradigor said:

To be honest, I find I work my best when I am at my lowest points, where killing myself is a real option. For some reason that gets my juices flowing with work. I think it comes from a desire not to let someone else down, before ending it all. 

 

When I am on an upwards spiral I actually struggle to come up with ideas. 

You can come up with ideas when you're that depressed? What kind of thing you came up with?

Most people i know that once were i a state like this couldn't think about nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

I have an odd relationship with this when it comes to creating stuff. Tapping into the creative side tends to draw out my more depressive tendencies, so it can be a bit of a fraught process at times. Makes me loath to even get in there, but I always feel better for getting something down.

 

Great question by the way. It'll be interesting to see what people have to say about it.

Sometimes i get in a catatonic state when i'm writing something, i just write like crazy everything that comes up to my mind, and when i try to rearrange the stuff i wrote, i start to write more and more stuff, it feels like it's (almost) always a draft. It can happen anywhere, in anything that's writable, and i file these things in my notebook.

I do random sketches and scribbles on the way. I feel a mix of emotions that i can't tell what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, wanderai said:

You can come up with ideas when you're that depressed? What kind of thing you came up with?

Most people i know that once were i a state like this couldn't think about nothing.

 

I honestly don't know why, just the way I a wired I suppose. I wouldn't say any of my output is especially good (I never think any of my work is good) but the more down I am, the more good stuff comes to me. Especially when it comes to branding stuff. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

I honestly don't know why, just the way I a wired I suppose. I wouldn't say any of my output is especially good (I never think any of my work is good) but the more down I am, the more good stuff comes to me. Especially when it comes to branding stuff. 

You write? Paint? Draw?

I' m kinda interested to see what kind of thing you come up with :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wanderai said:

You write? Paint? Draw?

I' m kinda interested to see what kind of thing you come up with :D

 

Web / Graphic designer. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My most productive times are definitely when I'm at my lowest, mainly because concentrating on music stops me focusing on the negative thoughts.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blunted said:

My most productive times are definitely when I'm at my lowest, mainly because concentrating on music stops me focusing on the negative thoughts.

I usually don't get ''productive'' when in bad, but i come up with stuff and this makes me feel better to do stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically all of my music written from sad places. It's self-absorbed and self-pitying and dramatic etc. 

Ì don't know whether it helps me process the negative feelings. But there were a few songs born out f suicidal thoughts. So I guess it's good that my strong feelings turn into tunes and lyrics rather than action.

Ì mean, sure I'd much prefer it if I made music people wanted to hear and that I wasn't ashamed of and could perform to people. But it's still something.

  • Empathy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Creativity can often be a painful process. When one is already in pain in one way or another, it is a lot easier to let that process take hold.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know... we have to live with this feelings making mistakes insides of us... Sadness is always with me and I don't support this anymore. But I understood what you want to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/03/2019 at 14:17, wanderai said:

How these feelings influence you in a creative point? 

 

One of he worst parts of being an artistic creative is being in the middle of an emotionally torturous situation and  guiltily finding yourself thinking, "I can use this."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

History is replete with creative people who were chronically depressed. My creativity doesn't come from that place I don't think. But then I just draw stupid shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.