rllmuk
wanderai

Melancholy and creativity

We all have a tendency to devalue feelings like melancholy or sadness, seeing it as bas feelings that should be avoided, without realizing that these feelings are as important as feelings like happiness.

We always try to avoid being sad in a situation where feeling this way is important to us, and in that way, we prevent ourselves from learning something from these feelings, growing up from these feelings, we just try to keep them locked, away from our minds.

Of course i'm talking about it in a healthy way, not things such like depression, anxiety, and etc. I think that we just should ''enjoy'' (this sounds really bad in English) feeling sad or melancholic, and try to learn something from it, grow up as a person from it, because feelings should be felt, it's part of us.

How these feelings influence you in a creative point? What events caused you to come up with something? Have you ever noticed that you can express this in your art without realizing? (Some people don't)

To be honest, I find I work my best when I am at my lowest points, where killing myself is a real option. For some reason that gets my juices flowing with work. I think it comes from a desire not to let someone else down, before ending it all. 

When I am on an upwards spiral I actually struggle to come up with ideas. 

• Upvote 2

I have an odd relationship with this when it comes to creating stuff. Tapping into the creative side tends to draw out my more depressive tendencies, so it can be a bit of a fraught process at times. Makes me loath to even get in there, but I always feel better for getting something down.

Great question by the way. It'll be interesting to see what people have to say about it.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bradigor said:

To be honest, I find I work my best when I am at my lowest points, where killing myself is a real option. For some reason that gets my juices flowing with work. I think it comes from a desire not to let someone else down, before ending it all. 

When I am on an upwards spiral I actually struggle to come up with ideas. 

You can come up with ideas when you're that depressed? What kind of thing you came up with?

Most people i know that once were i a state like this couldn't think about nothing.

2 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

I have an odd relationship with this when it comes to creating stuff. Tapping into the creative side tends to draw out my more depressive tendencies, so it can be a bit of a fraught process at times. Makes me loath to even get in there, but I always feel better for getting something down.

Great question by the way. It'll be interesting to see what people have to say about it.

Sometimes i get in a catatonic state when i'm writing something, i just write like crazy everything that comes up to my mind, and when i try to rearrange the stuff i wrote, i start to write more and more stuff, it feels like it's (almost) always a draft. It can happen anywhere, in anything that's writable, and i file these things in my notebook.

I do random sketches and scribbles on the way. I feel a mix of emotions that i can't tell what it is.

46 minutes ago, wanderai said:

You can come up with ideas when you're that depressed? What kind of thing you came up with?

Most people i know that once were i a state like this couldn't think about nothing.

I honestly don't know why, just the way I a wired I suppose. I wouldn't say any of my output is especially good (I never think any of my work is good) but the more down I am, the more good stuff comes to me. Especially when it comes to branding stuff. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I honestly don't know why, just the way I a wired I suppose. I wouldn't say any of my output is especially good (I never think any of my work is good) but the more down I am, the more good stuff comes to me. Especially when it comes to branding stuff. 

You write? Paint? Draw?

I' m kinda interested to see what kind of thing you come up with :D

1 hour ago, wanderai said:

You write? Paint? Draw?

I' m kinda interested to see what kind of thing you come up with :D

Web / Graphic designer. 

• Upvote 1

My most productive times are definitely when I'm at my lowest, mainly because concentrating on music stops me focusing on the negative thoughts.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Blunted said:

My most productive times are definitely when I'm at my lowest, mainly because concentrating on music stops me focusing on the negative thoughts.

I usually don't get ''productive'' when in bad, but i come up with stuff and this makes me feel better to do stuff.

Basically all of my music written from sad places. It's self-absorbed and self-pitying and dramatic etc. 

Ì don't know whether it helps me process the negative feelings. But there were a few songs born out f suicidal thoughts. So I guess it's good that my strong feelings turn into tunes and lyrics rather than action.

Ì mean, sure I'd much prefer it if I made music people wanted to hear and that I wasn't ashamed of and could perform to people. But it's still something.

• Empathy 1

I don't know... we have to live with this feelings making mistakes insides of us... Sadness is always with me and I don't support this anymore. But I understood what you want to say.