rllmuk
RastanSaga

Sega Master System Essential Games.

19 hours ago, deKay said:

No argument - it's MUCH better.

As perhaps the biggest fan of both games, i simply cannot agree with this statement.

Castle of Illusion is a masterpiece on the Megadrive.

You could argue that you prefer the master system version, but "MUCH" better? im no havin' tha'

• Upvote 1

On 22/03/2019 at 08:51, ulala said:

As perhaps the biggest fan of both games, i simply cannot agree with this statement.

Castle of Illusion is a masterpiece on the Megadrive.

You could argue that you prefer the master system version, but "MUCH" better? im no havin' tha'

The gameplay is more interesting - more puzzle based. Collision detection isn’t as wonky either.

Most 8 bit Disney platformers are great and most 16 bit ones are rubbish. This is a fact, sorry.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Why has nobody mentioned Alex Kidd in Shinobi World? Great little game :)

I finished this game a few times over :)

I sold it to a forum member here earlier in the year.

great game!

• Upvote 1

On 22 March 2019 at 23:36, MikeBeaver said:

Why has nobody mentioned Alex Kidd in Shinobi World? Great little game :)

I did, on the first page of the thread.

• Upvote 2

On 21/03/2019 at 14:53, RastanSaga said:

So many games :)

is kenseiden any good....Found that yesterday whilst looking at what you guys have posted..

Kenseiden is another true system great. Probably ties with R-Type with boasting my favourite FM audio arrangement too.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

I know the mark 3 has some kind of fm adapter...I confess I don't know much about it.

I've heard several people get excited about it tho! :)

That's basically a sound chip from Japan. Few games use it and get much better music (think Castlevania 3 on the Famicom Disk System type of difference). Sega never removed any of the music coded into the original games though so if you have an adaptor you get the music to match.

• Upvote 2

I mentioned earlier that I'd been playing old SMS games and that was for Episode 3 of Yesterzine, whose cover feature is the Indian Summer of the Master System, where it got an absurd number of good games in 1993, well after it should have been reduced to shovelware trash.

That's the one next Friday (19th) but I thought I'd mention it while I remember.

• Upvote 2

Hi guys...

Ordered some master system games which were recommended :)

this just turned up....

going to have a few pints a bit later and get into it....

IMG_20190504_111717.jpg

• Upvote 4

I haven't played it in 2 decades, but I remember it being an especially lovely thing in general. I'll have to join you in the club.

Especially as my gaming this weekend is all Rise of the Robots.

• Upvote 1

On 21/03/2019 at 20:29, Camel said:

Rampage isn't good on any system.

Great list though.

Rampage is great, you massive wrong'un.  Especially on the Lynx.

• Upvote 1

Hang On doesn’t get enough love. Was a built in game on a few iterations of the SMS. Remember it being a really solid little racer. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, geldra said:

Hang On doesn’t get enough love. Was a built in game on a few iterations of the SMS. Remember it being a really solid little racer. 

The Master System has a few racing games that probably feel a bit basic now, but they perfectly capture that early 8-bit arcade racer genre - pure arcade racing with bright colours! Super Monaco GP and World Grand Prix spring to mind.

Two inbuilt games on the SMS1. This belongs to the other half*. I really should take it for a spin.

image.thumb.jpg.9693ab0d8bb75ec55bae501a8546b355.jpg

* we binned her Amstrad 464 and Amiga cdtv a few years back. I insisted we keep this

• Upvote 1

On 19/03/2019 at 21:37, Wiper said:

Completely obvious, but Sonic on the Master System is the best Sonic game (well, tied with the Game Gear version, seeing as they're identical), and is absolutely worth having.

Truth!

Except, the Game Gear version is much inferior due to the smaller field of view. Always bugged me that the GG version gets the re-releases bar one Wii VC release.

The Master System was basically our NES. Although I never owned either back in the day, I would have chosen the MS over the NES in a heartbeat at the time, as its games seemed much cooler .

It was only when Super Mario 3 arrived that I realised that maybe Nintendo games were better in general. Up until then stuff like Golden Axe, Outrun and Double Dragon* seemed much more tempting than the likes of Duck Hunt and Enduro Racer. 

Yeah I know DD came out on the NES but I never knew this at the time, did it even get released here? Certainly noone I knew had it, whereas it was a must-have on the MS.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Super Mario 3 is probably the single best 8-Bit game.

I dunno, there's some stiff competition, particularly if you're interested in other genres...

1127400206_PhantasyStar.jpg.fc216ba0f9a2caf30933f8386a25e846.jpg

Lords-Of-Midnight.png.cc13c36c242122d7ad214d0c9ddcb9c8.png

251532317_ManiacMansion.gif.76831b476ada4b289fdd124ef18724aa.gif

405256685_WonderBoyIII.jpg.bbc96316017633d913e2dbc49a56acbd.jpg

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'll give you all those, although I never really think of Maniac Mansion as an 8-bit game but yeah, I probably should.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Yeah I'll give you all those, although I never really think of Maniac Mansion as an 8-bit game but yeah, I probably should.

I played through the C64 version for the first time last year, in ScummVM. It’s primitive looking, but it’s all there! Zak too.

I still can’t begin to imagine playing them with a joystick and no keyboard shortcuts for the verbs, though.

I’d add Link’s Awakening to that best 8-bit list. But the answer is Ghost House Phantasy Star. 

I've mentioned it in a different thread in the past (was there one to do with boxing games?) but Rocky was one of the few games I've completed many times over. I think it may be the reason my dpad was fucked by the time my Dad's then girlfriend bought it off me for her son.

10 hours ago, Dudley said:

I only ever knew the NES and C64 versions so to class it as anything other than 8bit seems wrong!

• Upvote 1