rllmuk
sandman

Does anyone else not give a monkeys about that Sekiro game?

1 minute ago, Vorgot said:

to be honest, I bought Bloodborne based on a lot of the hype in here. I enjoyed Dark Souls but only made it past the Chuckle Brothers and decided I'd had enough. Sitting down now with BB, though I'm only had the beginning, I'm enjoying it more as I actually read the manual and made sure I had all the controls down. I also used a beginners guide to get me started which was spoiler free and pretty good

I might download it from when they gave it away on PS+. I have the physical release but I think I'm more likely to just put it on if I see it there on my dashboard. It'll be a distraction from Yakuza 0 though, which I really want to finish :lol:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

to be honest, I bought Bloodborne based on a lot of the hype in here. I enjoyed Dark Souls but only made it past the Chuckle Brothers and decided I'd had enough. Sitting down now with BB, though I'm only had the beginning, I'm enjoying it more as I actually read the manual and made sure I had all the controls down. I also used a beginners guide to get me started which was spoiler free and pretty good

Ohh this makes my heart all tingly :wub: good hunting, sir!

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, robdood said:

Wasn't that someone making an assumption? I edited my own thread and bumped it :p

Since it was a mod that said it I’ll say probably not.

2 minutes ago, robdood said:

Ohh this makes my heart all tingly :wub: good hunting, sir!

I figure I can alternate between this and Ni No Kuni 2. One bright and breezy, the other more of a challenge and dark and nasty. 

1 hour ago, robdood said:

Think it's pretty presumptuous to think that people find it 'side-splittingly hilarious'.  I just thought it was mildly amusing how quickly it caught on with no collaboration!  

I haven't been this hyped for a game in ages and tbh I'm just happy that stuff like this is still being made, a game with real care and craftsmanship. It fills my heart with joy to see those daft thread titles, not because it's "side splittingly hilarious" but because someone else gets it. I feel the same way when Radiohead or Aphex Twin release a record, or I see a new Howard Hodgkin painting (sadly no more :( )  you know, it's an event. 

• Upvote 3

Tried Demon's Souls, wanted to break things about an hour in. Kept being told "it gets better, just be patient/get good", had another go, wanted to break things again. Had a quick go on Dark Souls because I was assured it was "more accessible", wanted to break things after an hour. "You clearly don't have the patience for this, stick to Candy Crush". Saw Bloodborne, was assured it was "more offence-oriented than defence" and a different challenge. But by this point I wasn't being fooled, although I came close (have it on PS+, never installed it).

So this game appears and the same people get excited. I'm not falling for it. I'm sure it's going to be a well-made game and the people who like it will love it, but count me out of the hype-tsunami.

Oh and I'd add that I'm all for this kind of game existing, I don't "hate" it, in fact we need more of this sort of thing.  I just cannot get excited for it.

• Upvote 6

Not exactly climbing the walls to play it. Got RDR2 to finish ( ch 4) and still haven't played RE2 or Astrobot. Reactions here will be what sells it to me. The final few bosses of Dark Souls 3 made me feel old. I feel even older now, so my appetite for mad ninja action is on the decline these days. It's purportedly harder than Souls, so if that is true, I think I can pass without much internal conflict.

On 19/03/2019 at 04:59, the_debaser said:

I’d be more interested if it was on switch. 

Hopefully it has an easy mode. Dark Souls would’ve benefited from one. 

Yes! All games should have an easy mode. I'm crap at games and even 'normal' is hard sometimes.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Because the Dark Souls games aren't hard. I'm a pretty casual player and I've completed them all. And Bloodborne. And Demons Souls. 

They're just impenetrable to begin with. 

• Upvote 4

The way Dark Souls is designed wouldn't work with difficulty levels. It's not hard if you have patience and common sense. Bloodborne I think does require a bit more skill though.

• Upvote 3

The hardest part of Bloodborne was the bonfire. At least four hours out of my total of twenty spent getting the Plat must have been burned on that part alone.

3 hours ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Why not? It doesn't affect people who play on normal or above, and it makes more games accessible to more people. 

This:

3 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Because the Dark Souls games aren't hard. I'm a pretty casual player and I've completed them all. And Bloodborne. And Demons Souls. 

And this:

3 hours ago, Benny said:

The way Dark Souls is designed wouldn't work with difficulty levels. It's not hard if you have patience and common sense. Bloodborne I think does require a bit more skill though.

Soulsbourne games require patience and skill.  I'd rather From didn't waste time developing easy modes for those who can't get their heads around this.  Ultimately, no single game is for everyone and that's fine.  If you don't like the difficulty, play something else.

• Upvote 4

This isn't Souls. This isn't Bloodborne. I'm not saying it won't be difficult in its own way, but the offputting aspects of the gameplay in those titles will hopefully be replaced with a different sort of challenge that some people might be more comfortable with over time. I mean, people said that BB is "basically a Souls game" but I adapted to the gameplay in that much more quickly than in DS.

Or: can we at least all play Sekiro a bit before deciding that From only knows how to make one game and that the game needs an easy mode?

• Upvote 2

An Easy mode could be as simple as only taking half the player's souls on death, or altering the stats in favour of the player a bit. It's not mollycoddling the player, just making experimentation easier for those who want to get to a point where it clicks. You still get the Souls experience but with the frustration levels decreased so you don't pack it in an hour in. I can't see the issue with that.

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth I wouldn't want to play these miserable games* even if my only gameplay input was the odd QTE. I just find it odd that people are so against easy modes.

*To be fair, Sekiro is much more interesting visually than the normal fare. I still won't play it though as it will be wasted on me.

• Empathy 1

5 hours ago, mdn2 said:

I'm not an experienced souls player and the only one I've completed is BB, but come on, let's not fuck about here, they're really hard games. Something like Vicar Amelia is just objectively a really hard boss. 

• Upvote 1

I’m giving it a miss. I keep trying these games and tend to enjoy them to a point but I get quite frustrated with them. I play games infrequently and for short bursts so getting on after a ten day break and then making zero progress over the little time I have to play isn’t much fun. 

I also understand how much effort From put into their worlds but I can’t fully appreciate it in game because you either need to rely on the internet hive mind or have six PhDs to make any sense of the lore. 

• Upvote 2

In prep for this I went back and had a quick bash of ds1,2,3 and bloodborne.

hour each

it was amazing

true story

• Upvote 2

Context. I played about half way through Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. I absolutely loved the experience of both for a time but the continually haunting, oppressive and nightmarish atmosphere of them really drained me. By the end of my time playing each of them I realised I wasn’t doing it because I really enjoyed them but because it was annoying me having them unfinished. With so many titles available that just isn’t reason enough to keep playing a game.

Sekiro looks fucking incredible but I am worried that it’s going to retain DS3 and BBs horribly foreboding style that eventually broke me. That isn’t in anyway a slight on those games by the way, as they are very specifically and beautifully designed, but it does make me nervous about how things are going to feel for me in Sekiro around this milestone half way point.

I just can’t see Sekiro changing enough from what From are clearly the masters of and sadly that might prevent me getting as much from it as most people will. I really hope the shift to the ninja style character and setting lightens the mood even just a little and it can get its hooks in (hehe) but for me it’s just not the life changing event that it seems to be labelled as.