rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Vimster

The Commodore 64 Appreciation Thread

The bigger the box the better when it comes to old c64 stuff. I loved the big Rick Dangerous box I had :(

If I could afford it I would buy all that stuff back.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind if we had a thread where we pick a compilation and play and comment on the games within, similar to what I was doing in the Commodore Format Thread (which I will return to soon!)

• Upvote 1

So who else was never introduced to "Contra" or "Probotector", but instead enjoyed firing up Gryzor?

Gryzor_Cover.jpg

The name might be silly, but the daftness is only there to distract you from the real issue - trying to run, jump and shoot when you only had a one-button joystick. God bless all of the "big toe outstretched to the space bar" warriors. :wub: 

EDIT: wait, or was it one of those where you can use a second joystick as a second fire button? Hmmmm....

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Qazimod said:

EDIT: wait, or was it one of those where you can use a second joystick as a second fire button? Hmmmm....

Both. I used to play games like this (and Commando) with the C64 on the floor, toe ready.

And then I worked out the following. The fire button for the port one stick was also space. So if a game required the space bar for a secondary function and the main controls were through port two you were good to use a second stick on the floor.

• Upvote 1

In non-gaming related news, there was what could be described as a C64 hardware music album put out a couple of years back called DUB_CRT. It cost an absolute fortune (about £60) but it was totally unique, featuring lots of original music from C64 musicians and more traditional electronic musicians. I must confess I was asked to provide music for it but was unable to at the time, much to my regret.

Anyway, the cartridge has finally been cracked and is freely available to try out on an emulator or real hardware - https://www.goto80.com/dubcrt-has-been-cracked

Probably not everyone's idea of classic Commodore 64 music, but it can't be denied how much of an impact the SID chip has had on musicians down the years.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Good to see it coming. Parasol Stars on the amiga was a great game. I think there was never an arcade game and it was originally developed for the pc engine. I remember reading the story of what happened to the original c64 development and thinking that it was a pity although I can understand how these things can happen in a breakup.

I remember magazines continually rumouring about the original C64 version and when I first started getting into emulation I was curious enough to find a different system that the game was ported to, just so that I knew what it was about. I never found it as moreish as RI but it's still fun.

The funniest thing to me is that Parasol Stars was going to be "Rainbow Islands 2"... but not "Bubble Bobble 3" because that's a completely different thing. :P 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

I remember magazines continually rumouring about the original C64 version and when I first started getting into emulation I was curious enough to find a different system that the game was ported to, just so that I knew what it was about. I never found it as moreish as RI but it's still fun.

The funniest thing to me is that Parasol Stars was going to be "Rainbow Islands 2"... but not "Bubble Bobble 3" because that's a completely different thing. :P 

Well rainbow islands was seen as bubble bobble 2 at the time although I know there were bubble memories and bubble symphonies as I saw them much later on mame. I assume they were released much later and from what I recall were more like bubble bobble.

I had almost the opposite experience with rainbow islands in terms of just one more time but I that may be due to me getting stuck on one of the bosses in rainbow islands and then giving up. I found parasol stars more like bubble bobble and it was one of the few games my mother ever played seriously. We even finished one path of the game if I recall correctly.