Love Death and Robots

cassidy

Hmmm, interesting, looking that one up, Snow in the Desert was also done by the French company Unit Image, who did Beyond the Aquila Rift also so not surprising they could do another impressive render. I'll have a watch of that at some point.

They've done some game hype trailer work in the past too, with some pretty big titles on that list:

https://www.unit-image.fr/films?filter=game-trailer

As mentioned above seems less gratuitous than the first series but its still not exactly mature. 

Episode one is straight up shite.

But episode 2 is quite nice and I really enjoyed episode 4 which is based on a Neal Asher Short.

I've not yet finished the last 2. 

You could trim a couple from the first series and from this one, maybe chuck in a Oats Studio short or two and have a nice sci fi compilation.

Watched Ice and Snow so far, the underlying message is still good but sometimes very american in tone...

But can't fault the presentation, Chris Wallace's Ice - a pure spectacle...

I enjoyed these new shorts. The first episode was by far the weakest, just didn't really hit with the humour at all. The best for me was the last one - a great short story with some very arresting imagery.

In the Life Hutch episode there were a couple of shots of Michael B. Jordan, when he was laying still, that were utterly indistinguishable from the real actor to me. When he was in motion, not so much.

Yeah I was initially confused at some points that I was watching live action in that one. I really liked the one joke in that one:

Spoiler

The cat light pointer trick :lol:

Moreso with the environments / hard-surface stuff too I felt.

For example in the last episode when the opening tracking shot was following the traffic to the beach, I couldnt tell at all whether it was live action or not until the people got out of the car (especially since the faces were a bit stylised in that one). Think a lot of it comes down to the lighting.

Of course that has been true of games for a while now too, I guess just because we arent as well mentally primed to interrogate those kinds of scenes as we are faces/people.

On 16/05/2021 at 00:02, PeteJ said:

Brief thoughts on each episode, but I won't spoil the concept of any of them or of course the story. I won't even list the episode title. 

Is the second season presented to viewers in a random order, like the first was?

The reason I ask is that your references to episode numbers won't mean much to someone who sees them in a different order, and your comments might be too vague to tell which is which!

2 hours ago, Nick R said:

Is the second season presented to viewers in a random order, like the first was?

The reason I ask is that your references to episode numbers won't mean much to someone who sees them in a different order, and your comments might be too vague to tell which is which!

Well this is true. I don't know why you'd watch them in a random order but then I guess there's no reason to watch them as advertised either! Eh, I don't anybody cares what I write anyway :)

On 20/05/2021 at 01:06, jonamok said:

In the Life Hutch episode there were a couple of shots of Michael B. Jordan, when he was laying still, that were utterly indistinguishable from the real actor to me. When he was in motion, not so much.

It's unfortunately a cheat, they shot him live action on a small set and then composited his face into their rendering, otherwise it could have claimed to finally have crossed the uncanny valley.

The current high point for virtual faces is still probably Rachael from Bladerunner 2049 which comes pretty close to being believable and that took MPC a year to get right for very little actual screen time, they did at least fix the crappy halo problem these things usually have (see modern Star Wars for an example of the problem)

AFAIK, all the other CGI rendered episodes from both series are fully CG, and obviously so.

Vol 2 is more consistent than the first series but it also doesn't unfortunately reach the high points of the first series either.

The standout episode this time was probably All Through the House, which had a funny short story well executed with a great visual style. If that had been fully rendered, it would have been bloody impressive. The CGI animated faces with stop motion was still brilliant, superbly seamlessly done.

Unit Image's Snow in the Desert was another well realised effort from them, though I think as a total package, Beyond the Aquila Rift was still better as the story and setting were more interesting. They continue to make progress on the virtual human front, the main bad guy Baris coming pretty close in some shots, being in the dark usually helps :)

The rest were fine. Maybe the bigger problem this time was the underlying story material they chose as none were as satisfying as the ones chosen for the first series.

There's an interesting Q&A with Tim Miller and Jennifer Yu Nelson, which answers some questions about the changes for Vol 2:

Tim Miller mentions that he was originally planning to do the The Drowned Giant as partial live action, but the pandemic forced them to go full CG for it, that would have been interesting to see as the style they eventually went for was semi-photoreal anyway.

He also mentioned a Conan-related one that they couldn't get the rights to.

12 hours ago, mushashi said:

It's unfortunately a cheat, they shot him live action on a small set and then composited his face into their rendering, otherwise it could have claimed to finally have crossed the uncanny valley.

Damn, that’s a shame, but makes sense.

Season 2 is disappointing.

I only enjoyed maybe 2 episodes from this season, really disappointed in the overall lack of variety in animation. Season 1 was amazing and exciting as you didn't know what to expect with a varied range of 2D and 3D. However, Season 2 seemed like a bunch of video game FMV sequences throughout, and the stories were boring. 

The one I liked because it had some depth and a story was the Giant Man, and the one with the kids in the artic running away from something, story was rubbish but at least it looked visually different and had an identity. I may include the White who looked like Roy the replicant, but that was because technically looked amazing.

Well, in terms of Vol 3, they've already confirmed one of the episodes is a sequel to Three Robots as that is apparently one of the most popular ones. The other 2 are unlikely to get sequels, as one doesn't have a sequel story from the original writer and the other's writer/director is working on his film debut which could be fucking amazing, well at least visually as Alberto Mielgo has style for days :D